Sena , Scala

My trusty old Scala G4 has breathed its last...i am now in the market for a new BT headset & open to either Sena or Scala. What do you folks here mostly use? 

While cross brand connections are now possible on a ride, may as well pick the one thats more favoured. 

Also, anyone else looking to buy one? Duo packs do help save the monies :) 

I use a Sena 20s in my Shoei Qwest. Here are a few quick thoughts:

- Chosen to connect to my gf's generic built-in-bluetooth helmet (Bilt something or other, wasn't sure anything would "just work" so went with the universal 20s), works seamlessly for P2P chat
- Speakers are tiny and won't blow you away with their quality, but are loud enough to work just fine at freeway speeds with earplugs
- Connects to my cell phone bluetooth automatically and immediately when powered on. Seriously, it connects better and faster than any other bluetooth device I've ever used. I can then press play without taking my phone out of my pocket!
- Answered a few calls (personally I try to avoid this due to distraction) and caller said they couldn't tell I was on my bike, didn't even realize I was driving
- Have barely used the advanced/hands free technology, can't comment there

All in all I would absolutely recommend the 20s. It is a bit pricey, so if you can make due with a 10s, I bet the functionality is very similar. I believe they might even use identical speakers.

I have used the Sena sm 10 for 4 years or so and I fricken love it. My biggest gripe is when in a group chat you can't hear my music or gps. The 20s fixes this by automatically switching between inputs and adds more range.
'15 FJ-09 with an aftermarket parts addiction

I use a Sena smh5 and I'm very happy with it, good range with P2p intercom. I have a Iphone and its handy using "Siri" to use the phone, send, read text or music. The only annoying thing is when I activate "Siri" its makes a really loud BING noise that's stupide loud.

I use a Sena 20s in my Shoei Qwest. Here are a few quick thoughts: 
- Chosen to connect to my gf's generic built-in-bluetooth helmet (Bilt something or other, wasn't sure anything would "just work" so went with the universal 20s), works seamlessly for P2P chat
- Speakers are tiny and won't blow you away with their quality, but are loud enough to work just fine at freeway speeds with earplugs
- Connects to my cell phone bluetooth automatically and immediately when powered on. Seriously, it connects better and faster than any other bluetooth device I've ever used. I can then press play without taking my phone out of my pocket!
- Answered a few calls (personally I try to avoid this due to distraction) and caller said they couldn't tell I was on my bike, didn't even realize I was driving
- Have barely used the advanced/hands free technology, can't comment there

All in all I would absolutely recommend the 20s. It is a bit pricey, so if you can make due with a 10s, I bet the functionality is very similar. I believe they might even use identical speakers.
My Sena 20s have worked great and provide music through my phone without a glitch. This is the 5th year I have had them and would do Sena again. Then again my friends Scala's have been running flawlessly for 5 years and this guy averages 50,000 kms a year. Get yourself a brand name unit and you should be good to go. 
Cheers

Thanx all.... seems Sena is now way more popular than Scala than when I bought my Scala years back.

Will now look for anybody in the market too, since the dual packs are cheaper.

If you do come across any deals or sites with good prices, would be awesome if you could update. Tks!

• Premium Member
Scala Rider Q3 and PackTalk. The PT is of course the better unit with voice control but both are pretty good. A buddy has the S20 as well as the Q3 but has not tried it yet. I have mounts for the Q3 on 3 of my helmets and the PT mount on my newest helmet that matches my FJ09. Talk / music time is about 8 hours but they can be charged while wearing it and riding (can the Sena S20?) and range is maybe a half mile or so on the Q3, and longer on the PT but I keep its antenna taped down so that way its about the same as the Q3.

I changed to the UClear Pulse+ speakers (formally H20 I believe) in all my helmets, which are 3.5 mm plug, 40 mm dia, 8 ohm 130 db & 20 Hz ~20 kHz so they really crank and have strong base.

Archived