Throttle-lock 'cruise control'

Does anyone here have experience with this specific (or one of the many lookalike) 'cruise-control'?   It's rather more engineered than the simpler (and cheaper) GO-CRUISE item I've used before, but I would appreciate any comments before buying.   Thank you...
P1030819.jpg

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

I have the one by SW-Motech you can have a look on the weekend.

Really only find it useful for under 60kph now that I have the McCruise Control although on a straight road with no head wind it'll hold (just ok) enough for you to stretch your fingers.

Kimmie......the lady who likes to take little detours :)

• Premium Member
I have the "go cruise" My traveling buddy has one that looks just like the one you have pictured (I'm not sure if it is an "S-DR") and our conclusion is they really don't work all that well. We don't do a lot of slab, so it's not a big deal. They seem to work well enough to wiggle your fingers for 30-60 seconds.

This may work better. YMMV

https://brakeawayproducts.com/product/7cp02/

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

I have the "go cruise" My traveling buddy has one that looks just like the one you have pictured (I'm not sure if it is an "S-DR") and our conclusion is they really don't work all that well. We don't do a lot of slab, so it's not a big deal. They seem to work well enough to wiggle your fingers for 30-60 seconds.  

Looked at the Brakeaway at the link provided, says not compatible with heated grips in case anyone does consider using one, and has the heated grips. I have an Omni-Cruise which is similar to the picture in the 1st post.  Still trying to get it adjusted to hold the speed, but not be so tight as to be an issue rotating it on the grip.
If Yamaha would only have offered a factory cruise on this "supersport touring" bike...........

• Premium Member

I've used the "NEP CC-2 Cruise Control/Throttle Lock ("Fits: many OLD Yamaha w/ 7/8" handlebars") on my FJ for the past 2 years. It's meant for a single throttle cable (different setup than what we have) but fits very easily with just the use of a small zip-tie (or in my case a narrow strip of velcro cable tie) to keep it in position. Nice and thin so it doesn't have any trouble fitting in the gap between the throttle grip and the mounting clamp.

I've used a similar NEP throttle lock on my ST1100 for about 20 years. Very simple, and works great!

Easy on & off with the thumb lever. Adjust it just tight enough to counteract the spring action and your wrist is happy for long distances, or flip it off for normal throttle return.

• Premium Member

I have an Omni-Cruise which is similar to the picture in the 1st post.  Still trying to get it adjusted to hold the speed, but not be so tight as to be an issue rotating it on the grip.   

I don't really believe it's possible... We've been messing around with ours for a while...

If Yamaha would only have offered a factory cruise on this "supersport touring" bike...........

Boy howdy. If only.... :-/

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

Comments and experiences offered so far are very useful, so please keep 'em coming!   I'm only looking for the '30-second finger-wriggle' type of relief, not hour-long hands-off, so all inputs are welcome.   Thank you...

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member
Comments and experiences offered so far are very useful, so please keep 'em coming!   I'm only looking for the '30-second finger-wriggle' type of relief, not hour-long hands-off, so all inputs are welcome.   Thank you...

IMO good for the 30 second finger wiggle. Not much else. Don't know long term effect on heated grips, but I wonder about it.

• Premium Member
I have the Go Cruise like this one:

gocruise-2.jpg?1412013786
Not perfect, definitely will not hold a steady speed for long, but works well enough to allow you to remove your hand, stretch, reposition yourself, and work out sore muscles on a long ride. Cheap and effective, which makes it a winner in my book.
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

I had a Throttlemeister on my 2002 Kawasaki Concours.  It was pricey ($110) back in 2004 but it worked perfectly and was a quality product.  Plus it came with a matching bar end for the other side.  Both pieces were much heavier than the stock bar ends and did reduce some vibration.  I don't know if it's available for the FJ.
Brad
Selbyville, DE

Experimented with the Omni-Cruise yesterday, seemed to need to tighten it up a lot to get it to hold, bit then as one can expect, it makes it more difficult to disengage. 
I had one of these on a previous bike that was simple & worked well: http://tinyurl.com/y84alg9r
Thanks, xc: I looked at this - it does not fit our bikes, furthermore Amazon does not ship the item - or very many others they advertise - to Australia!

I had a Throttlemeister on my 2002 Kawasaki Concours.  It was pricey ($110) back in 2004 but it worked perfectly and was a quality product.  Plus it came with a matching bar end for the other side.  Both pieces were much heavier than the stock bar ends and did reduce some vibration.  I don't know if it's available for the FJ.
Thanks.   I have tried these screw-in/ out 'bar end devices on other bikes in the past, and found them awkward to engage and frankly, for me at the time, possibly a bit distracting and maybe dangerous to use.   Others I know like them, so it's another case of YMMV...

I have the Go Cruise like this one: 

gocruise-2.jpg?1412013786
Not perfect, definitely will not hold a steady speed for long, but works well enough to allow you to remove your hand, stretch, reposition yourself, and work out sore muscles on a long ride. Cheap and effective, which makes it a winner in my book.
Thanks, trambo.   The versions I've had of these in the past - there are many permutations on the basic design - had small holes along the 'handle'.   I found these useful as a small zip-tie threaded through allowed me to adjust the pressure of the grip and therefore reduce the amount of slippage under way. They are not perfect but offer very good value for money and at the end of the day are probably as good as anything short of a full-on electronic cruise-control.   I think I might order another pair of these...        LATER EDIT - ordered!   AUD$41 delivered.   Fingers crossed...

Archived