Throttle-lock 'cruise control'

Experimented with the Omni-Cruise yesterday, seemed to need to tighten it up a lot to get it to hold, bit then as one can expect, it makes it more difficult to disengage. 
I had one of these on a previous bike that was simple & worked well: http://tinyurl.com/y84alg9r
Thanks, xc: I looked at this - it does not fit our bikes, furthermore Amazon does not ship the item - or very many others they advertise - to Australia!
The Vista Cruise throttle lock may need to be modified to look like the one in this picture to install a small screw into the switch housing as was needed on older FJR1300's. link

I have this one: 
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00ERXG4TM/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1499108553&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=throttle+lock&dpPl=1&dpID=41bFCwtMiyL&ref=plSrch

It works as expected for a throttle lock. It holds position fine and the screw provides good adjustment. I have the heated grips and did not install the sleeve.
Thanks, cbr.   This is another of those items that Amazon will not ship here.    
I'm amazed at how many types of throttle-locks are on the market.   One of the better ones I tried in the past was the Universal Vista (or may be Vista Universal) but that doesn't suit our bike as the switch-block on the throttle side gets in the way of the restraining arm.   But on other bikes it worked well.   I have also tried the Crampbuster (or lookalike) style of rocker-type wrist-rest, but rapidly found that intensely annoying and distracting.   So it's back to the Go Cruise - cheap, simple, works OK for what it is.

By far the best cruise-control I've had was the superb entirely intuitive OE electronic item to be found on my last two BMWs (R and GS), but alas the bikes so equipped are at least AUD$8,000 and up to AUD$12,000 more expensive than the FJ/ MT!  

So despite its undoubted shortcomings (for some) the FJ/ MT-09 is about the best value-for-money on the market, at least for a reputable brand. On the Oz market new MT-09 Tracers can still be had for AUD$15,000 which includes the OE hard panniers.    

But if the mooted touring version of our bike comes to light (if it exists) I'm sure that will have an electronic cruise-control fitted.   And an acceptable seat.   And a decent screen. And...

Thanks for all the replies...

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

I have this one: 
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00ERXG4TM/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1499108553&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=throttle+lock&dpPl=1&dpID=41bFCwtMiyL&ref=plSrch

It works as expected for a throttle lock. It holds position fine and the screw provides good adjustment. I have the heated grips and did not install the sleeve.
Thanks for the link, cbr.   Amazon does not supply this products (and many others - why?!) to Oz, but after some searching I found a local supplier who can deliver within a few days and at a cost of only ~$5 more than Amazon.   I don't have heated grips (not needed here!) but have Grip Puppies fitted, so I'll do as before and cut off a short 1/4" wide section from the inboard end to accommodate the GoCruise.

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

I use a similar one myself and love it. Can't imagine riding for more than a few hours without it. It won't hold speed for a long period of time, but like others say it allows you to lighten up on the grip or let go and move around a bit while maintaining speed. Best $20 I spent on my bike.

• 3 weeks later...
I'll jump in - I've used the Excel Throttle Control on two BMW's (the R1150GS for 35K mi and the R1200GS for 44K mi) - they work.
It is mechanical and is a vast improvement over the T-mister and Kak. Easier to on/off during riding and also to tweak it at speed.
I created a new thread for the one for the FJ09. It's not the price of a yellow Caterpillar O-ring or something a little higher in the food chain, but - it works.
If one looks at the bikes that just ran the IB, one might find several bikes sporting the Excel unit. Just a thought.

I have this. I've set it and ridden for miles at a time without having to mess with it. http://www.aerostich.com/go-cruisetm-universal-throttle-control.html
Just back from an 864km ride (two days on the bike, one off in between) using this same device since fitting it recently.   In a word - excellent once properly adjusted - best done at standstill!   Here's my intended post: 
FITTED THE NEW GO-CRUISE THROTTLE CONTROL…

This excellent little device arrived just in time for me to install before my ride north recently. The vendor - www.oneup.com.au - ran the extra mile to get a second one to me in time, which is appreciated, as the first one he despatched fell asleep in the Australia Post sorting office! Then – of course – they both arrived together!

Fitting took less than five minutes, and would have taken half that if I hadn’t had to cut a short length off the inboard end of the foam Grip Puppy on the grip to allow fitting of the neoprene gripper ring.

The device is beautifully made, quite weighty, nicely-finished in black anodized alloy. It even has a piece of PTFE underneath the arm where it rests on the brake lever to minimise abrasion. Nicely done!

I’ve had earlier models of Go Cruise before, which had several small holes along the handles, through which I placed a thin zip-tie to allow me to set the tension as needed. This was not 100% satisfactory and some ‘throttle creep’ ensued, although overall it worked quite well.

This Rolls Royce version of the Go Cruise is much improved. It has a threaded ‘tension gear’ which allows minutely precise setting of the necessary grip. Bye-bye throttle creep.

On my ride I used it frequently to relax my arm and shoulder and wrist, and it worked brilliantly on flat straight sections of road.

Once the tension was set before riding off there was no need to adjust it at all, and setting it ‘on’ required only a simple push of the forefinger.

One detail the pleece may like is the description of the unit: it’s not a throttle-lock, but a throttle-control.

Very highly recommended.

• Premium Member
I have the "go cruise" My traveling buddy has one that looks just like the one you have pictured (I'm not sure if it is an "S-DR") and our conclusion is they really don't work all that well. We don't do a lot of slab, so it's not a big deal. They seem to work well enough to wiggle your fingers for 30-60 seconds.  
This may work better. YMMV

https://brakeawayproducts.com/product/7cp02/
I've used the "NEP CC-2 Cruise Control/Throttle Lock ("Fits: many OLD Yamaha w/ 7/8" handlebars") on my FJ for the past 2 years. It's meant for a single throttle cable (different setup than what we have) but fits very easily with just the use of a small zip-tie (or in my case a narrow strip of velcro cable tie) to keep it in position. Nice and thin so it doesn't have any trouble fitting in the gap between the throttle grip and the mounting clamp. 
I've used a similar NEP throttle lock on my ST1100 for about 20 years. Very simple, and works great!

Easy on & off with the thumb lever. Adjust it just tight enough to counteract the spring action and your wrist is happy for long distances, or flip it off for normal throttle return.
This is not the only such thread.  The NEP CC-2 or any other NEP and Vista Cruise (except for the Universal and then only with major modifications) may work with the OEM rubber grip on the separate throttle tube but with the OEM heated grip option they will not work (except for the VC Universal with major adaption).  The reason being the very skinny two halves that can clamp onto the OEM separate throttle tube in between the throttle housing and inner flange of the rubber grip has no room to fit because the OEM heated right rubber throttle grip is molded as one assembly with the throttle tube and when installed there is no clearance between the inner grip flange and the throttle housing. 
I adapted the VC Universal but my notched extension that is clamped between the nut on the right mirror (left-handed) threaded stud and the boss around the hole in the top of the front brake master cylinder bracket must be made out of aluminum, as my plastic extension adapter cracked and I "MacGyvered it" (in the old days we called it jury rigged it) with black duct tape and plastic zip ties months ago and it's worked so well I've never touched my cardboard template to make an aluminum one!

20160722_120332.jpg20160722_120728.jpg20160722_122816.jpg20160722_122827.jpg20160722_122849.jpg20160722_122937.jpg

• Premium Member
why is there an alien pod on your throttle?
Good luck after the summer heat hits that tape.
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• 3 months later...
This item works but I really do not like how it affects the front brake after you have used it. After using the clamp it touches the front brake lever and effects the throttle. I don't like this as I am heavy on the front brake usage and don't like anything that affects the throttle. It is easy to over to overcome but I don't like. After I have used it to relax my right hand I usually move it so it will not touch the throttle.  i hope this makes sense!

This item works but I really do not like how it affects the front brake after you have used it. After using the clamp it touches the front brake lever and effects the throttle. I don't like this as I am heavy on the front brake usage and don't like anything that affects the throttle. It is easy to over to overcome but I don't like. After I have used it to relax my right hand I usually move it so it will not touch the throttle.  i hope this makes sense!
Maybe I'm a bit slow today, but I do not follow!   What style/ brand of throttle-lock CC are you using?    Maybe you could show a pic or two of what you describe here?   Lots of members use a cc of one kind or another and I'm certain someone could comment helpfully...

Archived