Question to those buying a used F-Jay

• Premium Member
I am trying to sell my 2015 F-Jay and keep getting these A-holes that want to negotiate over the phone without even seeing the bike, then they play that price to another seller and pit of us against each other. Very frustrating. Then you negotiate a price, and they go hunting for a lower priced bike for a few weeks, then come back with a lower price request, oh and can you deliver it 100 miles away!. What is wrong with people!!!
Additionally, I get, Is the bike Sold? Then, please log onto this RIPOFF site and get a No name carfax as that is what my mechanic said I should tell you to do, and have you pay for it, then you don't hear from them again (I was wise to this and did not do it). Is this the future of selling a vehicle?
Thoughts?

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

For those who want to negotiate the price without seeing the bike, ask them what they are willing to pay-most times they'll say "Well I'll have to see it first". Ask when they want to see it, otherwise waste no more time with them.

They want a Carfax or similar? They can pay for it, if they're serious they wouldn't think twice.

Guest bruinfj09guy
Q: "What will you take for it/will you take xyz/what's the best deal"?
A: "Come see it in person, bring your money, and if you like it we'll talk about it then."

As for the other nonsense, a lot of times on my ads I put "cash only deal in person." Some of the delivery and scam crap you just have to filter out, unfortunately.

I agree that negotiation tactics/haggling one seller against another go with the territory. It's a nuisance that's part of the used vehicle game. :) 

Games between buyers and sellers is nothing new. If you can't sell it, your price is too high.
I'd prefer to sell something - anything - that I really want to quit for (say) $100 than not sell it for $110....

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Personally I start at a high price and let them talk me down a few hundred. If I were selling my FJ, it would list for ~$7500 but be willing to take $6500-6800. If they want to haggle at me over the phone within my price range, fine. If they want to low ball me, offer me $4000, I'll them the price is now $7000. Usually gets them to leave me alone quickly. Other option is putting the bike on consignment. They will take a percentage but you won't have to deal with BS.

So in summary: Decide your lowest price. List for more. Be willing to put up with CL bullshit (ie negotiating on the phone, silly questions, etc). And be wary of scams, not comfortable with them? Quit responding.

Summary of summary: PATIENCE, the right buyer will come along.

'15 FJ09

Having sold a few things, including past bikes, on CL, I gotta say that I usually advertise it for a few hundred more than my bottom-dollar and let them talk me down. I don't even respond to e-mails ( only correspondence I allow until they want to set up a time to look ) that offer me less than my asking price without a visit to look at it. My time is valuable and I have no time to deal with folks who want a "deal" and cannot be bothered to even look at the bike/car. I also put a standard disclaimer that covers all the usual scams ( no bank checks/delivery to your brother-in-law/providing paypal address/calling you back ) and then ignore anyone who can't read.

• Supporting Member
I am trying to sell my 2015 F-Jay and keep getting these A-holes that want to negotiate over the phone without even seeing the bike,
I see this alot, especially with Craigslist.  If you list something for $100, guaranteed someone will offer $60, it should be renamed Cheapskate.com 
My brother recently sold a motorcycle, he had it listed for $4500 firm and negotiated over the phone for a buyer to come look at it.  The buyer shows up after driving 2.5 hours and says he only brought $2700.  My brother closes the garage, walks in the house and tells the guy to have a nice drive back home.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I am trying to sell my 2015 F-Jay and keep getting these A-holes that want to negotiate over the phone without even seeing the bike,
I see this alot, especially with Craigslist.  If you list something for $100, guaranteed someone will offer $60, it should be renamed Cheapskate.com 
My brother recently sold a motorcycle, he had it listed for $4500 firm and negotiated over the phone for a buyer to come look at it.  The buyer shows up after driving 2.5 hours and says he only brought $2700.  My brother closes the garage, walks in the house and tells the guy to have a nice drive back home.

Purely as a matter of interest (and education) to those who like me live outside the USA and don't know precise details of what CRAIGSLIST - often mentioned here - is all about, could someone give us a heads-up please. 
Here in Oz, a very popular way of selling privately is through an excellent website called BIKESALES.   I change bikes as often as many change underwear,
and have always had excellent and trouble-free selling experiences using this site.   There are some 'tricks to the trade' if wanting an easy and painless experience, but if some simple commonsense 'rules' are followed satisfaction is almost guaranteed.   I'd like to know more about CRAIGSLIST, which sounds
as if it's similar...

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Purely as a matter of interest (and education) to those who like me live outside the USA and don't know precise details of what CRAIGSLIST - often mentioned here - is all about, could someone give us a heads-up please. 
Here in Oz, a very popular way of selling privately is through an excellent website called BIKESALES.   I change bikes as often as many change underwear,
and have always had excellent and trouble-free selling experiences using this site.   There are some 'tricks to the trade' if wanting an easy and painless experience, but if some simple commonsense 'rules' are followed satisfaction is almost guaranteed.   I'd like to know more about CRAIGSLIST, which sounds
as if it's similar...
Here ya go! 

https://sydney.craigslist.com.au/

'15 FJ09

@wordsmith Craigslist in the USA is like our Gumtree.com.au (owned by ebay..),
person to person like the "trading post" was like back in paper days.

The local version never really took off - for example there are only 5 bikes listed for sale in the Sydney section.

This is San Francisco:
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/sfc/mca
vs
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-motorcycle/k0

Archived