Brand new bike? Too early to install aftermarket exhaust?

morkys

I am picking up a brand new bike Sat Oct 14. I want to install the Akrapovic Ti exhaust asap because I like the sound.

The bike will most certainly require a break in period. Is there any reason I should not install an aftermarket exhaust like the Akrapovic Ti right away or very soon after starting to ride the bike?
2017 FJ-09 - Yoshimura Y-series Exhaust / MRA Sport Screen / Evotech Rad Guard & Fork Sliders / Custom LED Rear Tail Light / Lowering Links / Mirror Extenders / Low Seat / Tail Tidy / Shogun Swingarm Sliders - Touring mods > Madstad 20" screen (on standby) / SHAD SH36 Hard Cases / SW-Motech Rear Alu-rack - Mods not yet installed > Fender Extender - Mods on the way > MT09 Adventure Pegs / Sargent seats / Knuckle Guard leds / Speedtech Photon Flush Mount LED signals / SW Motech Frame Sliders

I am picking up a brand new bike Sat Oct 14. I want to install the Akrapovic Ti exhaust asap because I like the sound. 
The bike will most certainly require a break in period. Is there any reason I should not install an aftermarket exhaust like the Akrapovic Ti right away or very soon after starting to ride the bike?
You will be fine installing an Akrapovic.. they are sold as "offficial" accessories by Yamaha

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

I would wait personally, but only because there will a list of things you’ll want to do (like a new screen, heated grips etc) and you could compile this list before jumping straight to the exhaust.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

I would wait personally, but only because there will a list of things you’ll want to do (like a new screen, heated grips etc) and you could compile this list before jumping straight to the exhaust.
I agree with @BBB that there are more pertinent things to address prior to exhaust, I still think the answer I provided to your question is accurate. You will not damage anything during break in by running an Akrapovic TI exhauat

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

I always say, get to know the bike (if you haven't owned the same model before).......then like the guys say

- Make a list
- Read other mods folk here have done
- Determine which one(s) will give you the best (better) improvement

IMO the exhaust would be the last thing I would do....once you've make the other changes you'd like to make (presuming there are any).

Just my 2c worth

Kimmie......the lady who likes to take little detours :)

I could make a list. I'll see. I really want to have that deeper louder exhaust sound asap.

thanks for the feedback folks

:)
2017 FJ-09 - Yoshimura Y-series Exhaust / MRA Sport Screen / Evotech Rad Guard & Fork Sliders / Custom LED Rear Tail Light / Lowering Links / Mirror Extenders / Low Seat / Tail Tidy / Shogun Swingarm Sliders - Touring mods > Madstad 20" screen (on standby) / SHAD SH36 Hard Cases / SW-Motech Rear Alu-rack - Mods not yet installed > Fender Extender - Mods on the way > MT09 Adventure Pegs / Sargent seats / Knuckle Guard leds / Speedtech Photon Flush Mount LED signals / SW Motech Frame Sliders

• Supporting Member
I could make a list. I'll see. I really want to have that deeper louder exhaust sound asap. 
thanks for the feedback folks

:)
I think the primary reason that others are saying to look at addressing other issues first is, the bike runs REALLY good with the stock exhaust, and the Akro Ti is $1,100.  (that money could be spent on a decent seat and screen or suspension, if you have the '17 then you dont need the ECU flash) 
My buddy has an FJ as well, our bikes are identical except he has the Akro Ti and I have a -1 tooth front sprocket, we both have 2WDW's standard flash.  Riding them back-to-back-to-back, I couldn't tell much of a difference except for the sound at idle, definitely not an $1,100 difference in performance.  And he will be the first to tell you that other than sounding really nice, he kind of regrets spending the money on the pipe.

That being said, it wont hurt anything, so why not?  The beauty of bike ownership is setting them up the way that YOU want, if you have the money then go for it!!  Personally, I spent just over the price of the pipe on suspension mods and dont regret it one bit.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

As soon as I picked up mine 2017 Tracer 900 I bought Akrapovic Ti with carbon tip as I could not stand bike sound little bit dull. It's 2017 model made for EURO 4 norms and I'm saying this because you will notice sound difference between stock and Akrapovic only after 5k revs where it starts screaming. Taking out silencer is PITA because it's welded and you have to drill and then put a lot of patience to take it out without damaging it. Once out sound is unbearable for anything more than 10 min drive (but great :-) ). I experimented a little bit and cut silencer for one third and now for me it's perfect. As for me upgrades should be tires immediately (stock Dunlops are realy bad), Suspension and exhaust in that order...

fwiw,

I agree with betoney and prepa above,

The dealer fitted an Akra Ti to my bike before I picked it up, so no issue with fitting from new, but,....

To me, and these things are subjective, there's a small improvement in sound, a small weight saving and pretty much no other benefit. A friend I ride with has an MT (FZ) 09 with the carbon Akra, it sounds much better than the Ti on the FJ, I can hear his over mine most of the time.

Without the baffle, the MT (FZ) sounds loud but still good, the FJ, just obnoxious, loud and shet (that's shet with an i, to be clear).

If I had my time again I'd stay with the stock pipe, flash tune it and modify the suspension to suit.

and this is the first bike I've owned that I would say that of,

I realise this probably isn't what you wanted to hear but I hope it helps,.......

I think its best to at least reflash the ECU even on stock exhaust to remove the cancer known as EPA... way too many positive reasons why to list...

once your ECU been reflashed it only cost you shipping to get it reflashed again once you buy the exhaust you want...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

Do the 2017 benefit from a reflash of the ecu with the Akrapovic?

Has anybody run the Akrapovic Ti without the Db killer? I realize its not removable without dyi custom work.

Stock tires are that bad? I am sure they aren't the best but I was not aware people disliked them that much.

I will check in the suspension forum for what mods can be done for improvement.

Archived