wet, wet, wet

wordsmith

I suffered only the second puncture of my long riding career yesterday!  I was on the first day of a planned four-day ride to Melbourne from home, a journey of about 1800km, when about 300km into the planned 488km leg for that day I felt the back of the bike go all ‘squirrely’ and instantly knew what had happened. 

I had the usual repair kit with me, including some small CO2 cylinders, but the country road I was on was narrow with nowhere to stop to make a repair, plus torrential rain was bucketing down (as it had all day).   After a bit of thought I decided to turn round and head for the closest town behind me, where I’d spotted a Yamaha shop as I’d passed through earlier.

I rode pretty slowly and the wet roads didn’t help my confidence, but eventually I made it to the dealership.   There a bit of comedy eventuated: with the rear tyre dead flat the side-stand barely held the bike upright.   With panniers fitted it was awkward at the best of times to clamber on and off, but now I was terrified that the bike would topple with me on it!   Luckily a Burly Bloke was nearby, and he held the bike upright for me as I half slid, half fell off the bike with something of a sigh of relief!

The guy in the dealership couldn’t have been better, friendlier, or more professional – within half an hour or so the tyre was off the bike and the puncture-hole plugged and patched internally.   I was reassured that it would get me the 190km home (at no more than 90kph I was advised!), and so I proceeded, $65 poorer (plus a grateful $10 tip).    The day had seen me ride exactly 600km, which was more enough given the road conditions and the puncture, and at the end of the day I was right back where I’d started from ten hours earlier!

I imagine that the plug-‘n’-patch might hold up indefinitely, but have decided to fit two new tyres anyway, so a pair of Michelin PR4s will go on later this week.   And my final words on the subject of the new BAGSTER seat - outstanding!

Happy days!

(below) - I was looking forward to the trip to Melbourne...

IMG_1927.jpg

(below) - until this happened!

P1040105.jpg
P1040106.jpg

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Supporting Member
The guy in the dealership couldn’t have been better, friendlier, or more professional – within half an hour or so the tyre was off the bike and the puncture-hole plugged and patched internally.

Torrential rain and a flat tire, that sounds like a really miserable start to your 4 day trip.  At least you were able to safely get to a repair shop. I am really surprised that a dealer would patch a flat tire, I have never found a service department (car or cycle) that will touch a punctured motorcycle tire due to liabilities here in the U.S.  Their reasoning is if a patched car tire fails, you have 3 more to rely on, if a patched cycle tire fails, now you have a lawsuit.
Your country, or maybe just this dealer, must have different regulations.
Maybe you can try your trip again under dry conditions.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

The guy in the dealership couldn’t have been better, friendlier, or more professional – within half an hour or so the tyre was off the bike and the puncture-hole plugged and patched internally.
Torrential rain and a flat tire, that sounds like a really miserable start to your 4 day trip.  At least you were able to safely get to a repair shop. I am really surprised that a dealer would patch a flat tire, I have never found a service department (car or cycle) that will touch a punctured motorcycle tire due to liabilities here in the U.S.  Their reasoning is if a patched car tire fails, you have 3 more to rely on, if a patched cycle tire fails, now you have a lawsuit.

I don't know of any regulations that prohibit the practice here in Oz, but would be pleased to hear from anyone who knows.   Maybe we are much less litigious, and/ or more easy-going, here in Oz.   I understand the point, however, but also know of many who have had a tyre patched in this way and then ridden for appreciable distances with the repair still in-place.   My first and thus far only other puncture was similarly repaired, though not by a dealership, but again I then replaced the tyre asap after the incident.    
The tyre-repairer did warn me not to exceed 90kph on the ride home, so I guess he felt that was his duty to do so as a minimum .   The wet, wet, wet continues right up the east coast and I saw on TV earlier a report of at least one associated motorist's death on a flooded causeway.  Despite numerous powerful warnings at such times, drivers still try to cross flooded roads and causeways, not realising the power of moving water.

The ride will be re-planned, and at least I know that my two-piece wet-weather over-suit works well!!

LATER EDIT - lest this turns into a never-ending Oil Thread, the sole reason for putting Michelin PR4s onto the bike is that I had them on my last BMW R1200 R boxer twin, and liked them very much, while never claiming to be an expert when it comes to that 'seat of the pants' feeling on a given tyre.    Cost didn't come into it: AUD$449 fitted and balanced, vs $445 (Z8) or $480 (01) for alternative Metzlers, which as OE tyres I've also found very good on other BMWs.   Apparently the OE Dunlop D222s are now obsolete.

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Working in the shop we were told only to do internal plugs. Not the external rope style. It was always said they were illegal for us to fit. Not sure how much of that is b.s though.
I have plugged tyre that people have then used on track days and no issues when done correctly. Internals won’t go down any quicker than the initial puncture cause as opposed to external patches when they fail.

Working in the shop we were told only to do internal plugs. Not the external rope style. It was always said they were illegal for us to fit. Not sure how much of that is b.s though. I have plugged tyre that people have then used on track days and no issues when done correctly. Internals won’t go down any quicker than the initial puncture cause as opposed to external patches when they fail.
Thanks, Nate, that sort-of clears that up!   I didn't see exactly what was done, but there was a long 'tail' of a rubber plug sticking out of the tyre, and a round rubber patch was being glued into place internally over the (inside) end of that when I got to the tyre-removal machine.   The external end of the plug was obviously then cut off.   I must say, it all looked pretty sturdy and well done, and I'd have had no fears about riding on it for a long time, but the new tyres beckon...   Still raining - one small town further north (Gympie) has had two months of rain in 24 hours!   Monsoon season has arrived early this year. I'm thinking of trading the bike for a Hobie kayak or a jet-ski!   

Word of warning about flat tires and side stands, from one who knows! I had a rear tire go flat earlier this summer while on a 2,500 mile trip, pulled over successfully off the freeway, and put the bike on the side stand while calling for assistance. As I was on the phone....the bike either caught a gust of wind or the last bit of air left the tire...for whatever reason the bike just keeled over onto it's side while I watched helplessly from about ten feet away! NEVER but a bike with a flat on the side stand when you have a center stand. They are inherently unstable with no air in the rear tire. Fortunately, damage was limited to a couple of (very avoidable) scratches and I learned a valuable lesson the hard way.

I was destined never to complete that ride - and a good thing too as it turned out!   This morning, 48 hours after I left home (only to return ten hours later, literally deflated and wet, wet, wet) Mrs Wordsmith was out walking our dog and slipped and fell on some wet leaves.   Result - a broken wrist, and she'll be out of action for maybe six weeks.   So it's a good job I was around to take her to the A&E this morning, or goodness knows what would have happened, as our doggie doesn't drive, and there's nobody else at home!   It may be some time before I can venture out again on the bike.

"Some days are diamonds, some days are stones..."

146419_jet_ski.jpg 
@wordsmith your new monsoon bike ?
So what happens when he has to stop at a light?! Hahaha

red light- keep it on your left side...
green light- keep it on your right side...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

Sorry to hear that, give her our best wishes. Jacaranda flowers are a menace here at the moment.
Thanks, Robert - it was indeed Jacaranda flowers at fault!   Enjoy the ride to PI, and the MotoGP - it may even be as exciting as last weekend's in Japan!

• Premium Member
I have never found a service department (car or cycle) that will touch a punctured motorcycle tire due to liabilities here in the U.S. 
I've had a few motorcycle tires patched in the US, although the last time was 20+ years ago. I guess I've been lucky recently; I got a nail in my last FJ rear tire but it was about to be replaced anyway.

I was destined never to complete that ride - and a good thing too as it turned out!   This morning, 48 hours after I left home (only to return ten hours later, literally deflated and wet, wet, wet) Mrs Wordsmith was out walking our dog and slipped and fell on some wet leaves.   Result - a broken wrist, and she'll be out of action for maybe six weeks.   So it's a good job I was around to take her to the A&E this morning, or goodness knows what would have happened, as our doggie doesn't drive, and there's nobody else at home!   It may be some time before I can venture out again on the bike. 
"Some days are diamonds, some days are stones..."
The ride that never was.......should be the title, but wet,wet, wet does sum it nicely too.

Very lucky you were home to tend the very valuable Mrs Wordsmith in her time of need. Like Ella-Jane just can't imagine H behind the wheel...that would be a dogtradegy.

Give my best and a speedy recovery to B.

Kimmie......the lady who likes to take little detours :)

Archived