Another newbie to the forum and the bike

2linby

fullsizeoutput_1f8.jpg

While this is not my "new" FJ09. It is really cool!  I just picked up a new 2016 leftover FJ09 on Friday last week and am just getting used to the new machine. Its been raining everyday and I have only been able to ride it to work and back. But I am impressed so far. Been riding for 43 years (yeah old guy!) and teach MC safety as well.  Just sold my 2001 Concours with over 165,000 miles, all mine and a 2014 Versys. The FJ09 appealed to me do to the power weight ratio and having traction control and ABS. I'll be "farkeling" the bike in the next two weeks to suit my riding preferences including some IBA rides as well. (I didn't put 165K on the old connie sitting on my ass! Well, yeah I was sitting on my ass! HA!  I will be posting pictures and questions as they come up. Nice to be part of the forum and maybe meet up with some other NW riders so day. Cheers! 

Everything is simple, Nothing is easy

hes a lucky guy... hes got one of them ultra ultra rare Yamaha "Reverse Nikken" ... I heard it helps with wheelie control and directional dynamo aeropressures
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• Supporting Member
Its been raining everyday and I have only been able to ride it to work and back...
Nice to be part of the forum and maybe meet up with some other NW riders so day. Cheers! 
Welcome.  Congratulations on the new bike.  Where are you located in the PNW? Im sure with all of those miles under your belt you are already aware of the phenomenal riding in the neighboring states WA/ID/OR/CA and beyond.

As far as setting it up for comfort or longer rides, the "general" starting point is the wind screen, seat and handlebar.  YMMV.  2 things I would recommend right away, regardless of the type of riding you do is 1. Heated grips, I have never used heated grips before and now, I cant imaging not having them, ever.
2. ECU flash, it removes all of the factory limitations and provides a smoother fuel map. 

Once we get some dry weather and you can really put the bike through its paces I think you will be VERY impressed with both the Sport and Touring capabilities of this do-it-all bike.  And that CP3 motor...   cool.png

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Welcome from Albany, Oregon! There are a few of us PNWers on the site.
Thanks!  Just down the road in north Eugene. I occasionally teach in Albany at LBCC. IS there a riding group in the area? Alsea cutoff, etc,  many great roads in Lane and Douglas county too. 

Already put on a new GIVI shield. What a difference!  I ride everyday. Heated grips are on the way. I'll wait on the handlebars to see if the riding position will work for me. The seat will eventually be redone as well, done I'll try it out for now. Ordered the factory lowering links to drop it down just a tad, 14mm or 9/16" Lowered the forks already .5". Waiting on my Shad mounts for the SH36 bags I took from my Versys.  Battery tender is in, GIVI case guards installed last night. Hyperlites to be installed today.  The Powerlet BMW plug receptacle is on its way along with 10W LED DRL's (cheapies from amazon). So what can I except from a ECU flash?  who does this and whats the cost?  Thanks!  

Already put on a new GIVI shield. What a difference!  I ride everyday. Heated grips are on the way. I'll wait on the handlebars to see if the riding position will work for me. The seat will eventually be redone as well, done I'll try it out for now. Ordered the factory lowering links to drop it down just a tad, 14mm or 9/16" Lowered the forks already .5". Waiting on my Shad mounts for the SH36 bags I took from my Versys.  Battery tender is in, GIVI case guards installed last night. Hyperlites to be installed today.  The Powerlet BMW plug receptacle is on its way along with 10W LED DRL's (cheapies from amazon). So what can I except from a ECU flash?  who does this and whats the cost?  Thanks!  
Forum vendor 2WDW outta the PNW FZ-07 Vendor by Hordpower outta mid-ohio... made the fz-07 a beast, also tunes fz-09
And a few others

Pre 2017 bikes you can do APS adjust to smooth out throttle

I went with 2WDW for my needs...brought my fj-09 like 40 days before winter, had 2WDW reflash ECU using Woolich Race Kit to test out if the system would work with the fj-09 ( my fj-09 was 1st bike tuned by 2WDW using WoolichRacing )even on stock exhaust..then over that winter I sent ECU back to be tuned for Graves Exhaust..results are impressive even on stock exhaust, just ripping thru gears using the QS (set at 9k rpms)is very addicting, and the cherry on top is having one of the only few FJ-09 with LaunchControl...all said and done with aftermarket exhaust and ECU reflash by WoolichRacing netted me 120whp/ 65tq ...no speed limiter in 4-6th gears, ability to QS up/down, LC (set at 7.2k rpms ?) , -1T front sprocket to cure a tiny slight "slow rpm climb" off idle in 2nd gear(1st gear is 97% for LC) ...must use premium pump gas (93oct for my locale) 
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• Supporting Member
So what can I except from a ECU flash?  who does this and whats the cost?  Thanks!  
"...includes your full custom built fuel maps, custom ignition maps,
full custom throttle maps,
full custom secondary throttle maps,
removed restrictions,
removal of speed limiter(where applicable),
lower fan temperatures(when available),
fuel cut removal,
quickshifter activation (when available), and more!"

Phone: 425-269-5332 Call or Text at any time
Email: 2wheeldynoworks@gmail.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/2wheeldynoworks

Your '16 model also has the option to access the DIAG menu to adjust the APS values - its FREE!
This affects the abruptness of on/off throttle.  Factory setting is usually 17 and I (and others) set the value down to 12 or 13 and the results are immediate and dramatic. APS Adjustment

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
Already put on a new GIVI shield. What a difference!
Which GIVI did you install? The D2122S ? I've been looking at that one.
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

Already put on a new GIVI shield. What a difference!
Which GIVI did you install? The D2122S ? I've been looking at that one.
The 2122DT 

• Premium Member
Welcome to the forum, the only advice I can give you, is to watch the ground clearance when riding the bike in your avatar. The FJ-09 will be much better.....

• Premium Member
I occasionally teach in Albany at LBCC. IS there a riding group in the area? Alsea cutoff, etc,  many great roads in Lane and Douglas county too. 

I used to teach Team Oregon rider training at LBCC back in the 1990s. It's been a while.

I'm afraid I won't be much use connecting you with riding groups. I used to do a lot of group rides years ago but since I got my FJ I've been mostly solo. That's as much by choice as necessity; my job currently has me traveling a bit over 50% (typing this from Liverpool, UK) so it's hard to sync up with anybody else's schedule.

Archived