Short but sweet!

Well I wasn't here for a long time but I came for a good time!   Having test ridden Kawasaki's Z1000SX (Ninja 1000) yesterday, I decided that it's the best bike for me.  A deal was done and I pick it up next Saturday.  I've only owned my FJ-09 since July 2017 but have never quite been able to accept the vibration of the engine  - other than that, it's pretty much the perfect bike.  However, the Kawasaki suits me better.

So thanks everyone for all the useful information I've found on this forum and you all seem like a decent bunch whereas a lot of the forums are full of w*nkers.

Good luck and ride safe

Trivster

P.S.  I still have a new Black Widow full system for sale if anyone is interested?!  (shipping within the UK only)

• Premium Member
I have an associate with a 2015 Ninja 1000 ABS as they call it here. I installed the oem side cases and rekeyed them for him along with doing several other mods including a Sargent saddle to keep num butt at bay.

Definitely much more sporty rider triangle which I already have in my 110,000 mile VTR1000F which I sport toured out,otherwise an attractive option if I wanted more than 3 cylinders (and even 3 is maybe 1 too many).

The Kawi though has its own issues with vibration and wind noise. Universally owners install the heaviest BAR weights available and add tank knee gripper pads. A taller wind screen with a top lip or flip helps too.

Good luck.

No idea about your vibration issues but there are none noticeable to me on mine....
Certain RPMs will produce some vibes, but overall I agree, no issues... especially since my previous bike was a parallel twin.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Did you ever try swapping the footpegs to some rubber ones? That is definitely on my list of mods to do this spring. From what I understand it helps a lot with reducing the felt vibration from the engine.
'17 electric white fj - oem heated grips - oem hard side bags - heated corbin saddle - mra touring screen - motodynamic tail light - baja designs led turn signals - yoshimura full exhaust/fender eliminator - k-tech razor r rear shock/front fork kit - evotech radiator guard - mt-09 adventure pegs - pazzo shorty levers - stainless bar end weights
'19 Husky fe501 - cut off a few things and fixed the fueling

• Supporting Member
@trivster - Solid choice with the 1000 Ninja... I looked seriously at those, too. Enjoy!

It’s interesting the wide range of opinions about the harmonics of the CP3 motor in the FJ: From ‘irritating’ to ‘charming’ to ‘unnoticeable’ seem to have all been reported. Personally, I find it just about the ideal amount of character for a motorcycle... I can feel it, but it’s never been intrusive or even slightly bothersome. But in the spirit of full disclosure, I’m the guy that sold an ST1300 Honda after failing to bond with it because it was too smooth/boring/sterile.

Not intending to offend anyone or question their decisions, but I have to chuckle a bit at posts regarding vibration on the FJ: My last bike was a '79 Yamaha XS650. That ol' parallel twin could give a paintshaker a run for it's money.

Not intending to offend anyone or question their decisions, but I have to chuckle a bit at posts regarding vibration on the FJ: My last bike was a '79 Yamaha XS650. That ol' parallel twin could give a paintshaker a run for it's money.
Same with just about any harley...

Did you ever try swapping the footpegs to some rubber ones? That is definitely on my list of mods to do this spring. From what I understand it helps a lot with reducing the felt vibration from the engine.
Yep, pretty much tried everything - footpegs, grip puppies, lead shot in the bars - it's not as bad as when the bike was new but not as refined as the bike I came from which was a Triumph Explorer - the FJ is by no means a bad bike and the vibration isn't terrible but with the Ninja 1000 (Z1000SX here in the UK) I am looking for more refinement and power and after a test ride it was clear that the Kawasaki suited me better.

• Supporting Member
Yep, pretty much tried everything - footpegs, grip puppies, lead shot in the bars - it's not as bad as when the bike was new but not as refined as the bike I came from which was a Triumph Explorer - the FJ is by no means a bad bike and the vibration isn't terrible but with the Ninja 1000 (Z1000SX here in the UK) I am looking for more refinement and power and after a test ride it was clear that the Kawasaki suited me better.
I test rode the ninja 1000 a few times before deciding on the FJ. Very nice bike indeed, the ONLY thing I didn’t care for was the “sporty” ergonomics and to be fair, those could probably be addressed with Heli-bars and different rear sets.   

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
Ride what puts a big ol' stupid grin on your face! The Ninja is a sweet bike and if it flips the grin switch for you, enjoy!

But, you don't have to leave... keep us posted with your adventures!

Archived