Cleaning matte plastics

rlambke19

Hey all
Of all of the may bikes I’ve owned, I haven’t had a bike with matte finished parts.
I was going to just wiped them down with warm water and micro-fibre cloth, rather than use any sort of spray or cleaner.
Any thoughts or suggestions?
Cheers,
Rob

• Supporting Member
Special matte plastic cleaner works good as well. H-D makes some (or more accurately, puts their name on someone else’s bottle) 
-Skip 
    The known side effects of that product are massive weight gain loss of power and leakage.

He who dies with the most toys wins.

Special matte plastic cleaner works good as well. H-D makes some (or more accurately, puts their name on someone else’s bottle) 
-Skip 
    The known side effects of that product are massive weight gain loss of power and leakage.

Yep, and I’d add: a “mighty-er than thou” dick head attitude.

-S

I use dawn dish soap and water every time... no issues.
Agree - so long as you don't clean the bike in the sun, and thoroughly hose-off the suds pretty much immediately.

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• 3 weeks later...
I use Wal_marts own brand that's like Dawn Apple. I use it and tap water. I also dry my bike so no water spots. I also use Turtle Wax ICE for wax on the bike, it gets on the matte finish and I wipe it off no worries. It doesn't turn anything like rubber or matte finishes white like regular waxes. Spray on and wipe off. 

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

• 5 months later...

Water is a solvent (yes it can also be a solute you chemE nerds...like me) and is usually my go-to when it comes to detailing as it out performs many 'chemicals' made for cleaning. With that said, if I want to clean and protect my drug of choice is always Plexus. It cleans bugs off windscreens and helmet visors w/o damaging. Also cleans plastic or metal and leaves a protective wax film which here in the CA sun is necessary. I've also recent been using Meguires Quick Detailer on our rigs with really good results and may start to detail the bikes next.

I haven't found anything better than Windex all surface cleaner. No ammonia, also called crystal rain. Spray on wipe off. Cleans great, no residue left behind. Wipe off or scrub as needed with a microfiber cloth.

Archived