Which tank bag?

I have spent some time trawling the various posts about tank bags.  As always there is a multitude of choice, however one thing that has struck me is the cost of the things!  Plus, not only have I got to spend what seems like megabucks for the bag, I then have to fork out for a fitting ring or similar.

Ho hum.  Anyway with a tour of the UK looming next spring I need to expand my luggage capacity.  I have the Yamaha semi-rigid panniers (SW-Motech rebranded) which Yamaha sells with the Tracer in Europe.  I'd like to add a tank bag for smaller essential items and am pretty certain I want something with a locking ring type mechanism.  Not interested in straps or magnets as they are to my mind too much of a faff or can cause damage to paintwork.

So in finest interweb tradition I leave it open to the esteemed panel that is fj-09.org to advise me on what to buy.  Answers including phrases similar to "use the search function" will be respectfully ignored. :P

CS

The SW Motech EVO series has a selection of sizes and possible fittings for the FJ-09.
Here's a nice video with some options from SW Motech

[video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDkewV26Hbw]

I have a Givi locking ring tank bag and love it.  It is super secure, very easy to snap on and off the bike, and well made in terms of materials and construction. 

Remove three screw from gas filler collar, install the plastic ring and you're done.

Holds all the essentials incl phone, wallet, toll pass, MACE canister, etc.!

I do wish it had a clear plastic pocket for a map, but I realize in this era of GPS that's totally Luddite.

I use a tail bag to amp up the luggage capacity when I do a longer trip.

cb

bag1.jpg

bag2.jpg

1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

I have this Givi 4 litre tankbag. As stated above, it snaps quickly onto the tank ring. It has a netted top half, where some items always reside (visor spray and cloth, spare earplugs, paracetamol, some cash, spare Buff, tank bag raincover. The lower area takes a small tyre compressor, phone (which I have on charge by running a cable through the bag to a USB port in the dash) sat nav if not being used, keys etc.

You can put your phone inside the clear display at the top if you want, but I don’t bother. This is the ideal size for me, just for small things and doesn’t get in the way when riding.

EC8_BB18_A-_BB14-43_BD-8952-_F93_AF6128_E96.jpg

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

I have the GIvi XS307 and I cannot recommend strongly enough THAT YOU DO NOT BUY IT. The mounting plate on the first one was crooked, so I got it warranteed. Upon receiving the second one, I broke a zipper pull on the first trip. Not overpacked or anything, but the metal on the zipper pulls is very weak. I've had it for about 6 months and have broken three of the four zipper pulls. For what it costs, it's been very disappointing. I wish I had the pulls shown on the one in BBB's picture.

Don't buy this one: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/givi-xs307-xstream-tanklock-tankbag

I have the Sw Motech Evo engage with quick lock. I love it, had a small issue with the lock mehanism but it’s covered with the 2 year waranty.
Pros:
The bag is perfect on the bike
Water resistant is quite good even without the waterproof cover
Small enough to carry it with me off the bike

Cons:
Price
Quick attach mechanism is hard to pull sometimes

I’ve never cared much for the appearance (or cost) of conventional tank-bags, and so never had one on any of my many bikes.   At the same time I recognised the value of something to carry small items in front of the rider that could be quickly accessed without getting off the bike.   A further consideration was that I don’t like carrying hard objects such as a camera or mobile-phone in my jacket pockets lest I fall and they injure me as I bounce along the road, or are themselves destroyed!

My solution, way-back – and I’ve fitted this to BMW Rs and GSs, as well as to Tracers – is to set up a small ZIXTRO-brand bag mounted from the handlebars in a similar in-front-of-the-rider location, yet not a conventional tank bag.   (In the pix below the ZIXTRO bag looks a lot bigger than in real life!)

In this set-up, I bought a small – guesstimating, about 3L capacity – hard-shell ‘bag’ with zip-closure clam-shell lift-up lid, from a cycling shop – as an aside it’s amazing how many cycling bits and bobs can be found there that may have a creative use on a motorbike.

On a bicycle, the bag is designed to fit onto – and quickly un-fit from – a metal track that’s attached under the saddle. I didn’t buy the track, but made up an aluminium ‘tongue’ that was secured via a saddle-clamp to the centre section of the bike's 'bars, protruding a little way back.   This slipped onto the moulded guide on the underside of the bag, designed for its specific track.

Fitting and removing the bag is an instant and simple matter of pushing upwards the small plastic lever on the bag’s underside (highlighted at B) which engages with the small (highlighted at A) metal ‘tab’ on the tongue (actually a metal washer with one edge bent upwards to form a lip) – the bag then simply slides on or off the tongue.

I always used this little bag to carry such small stuff as my digital camera, mobile phone, Wet Ones tissues, tiny spray bottle of window cleaner for the helmet visor, small map book, small notebook and pen, spare pair of lightweight gloves.   All this was immediately accessible while seated – a bonus if wanting to stop beside the road to snap a few photos or make a quick phone call.

The bag cost me a mere AUD$15 at a markdown sale in the cycling shop.   Even at full price it would almost certainly have been but a fraction of the cost of a custom motorcycle tank-bag plus securing ring, but this ‘invention’ of mine did an excellent job, and even looked as if it was a shop-bought fitment.

P1040207.jpg

P1040399.jpg

P1040400.jpg

P1040365.jpg

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Thanks for all the responses I knew this site would come up trumps!  Wordsmith, your solution was interesting although I'm not sure how I feel about having a tongue of aluminium sticking out from the handlebars.

I have in the meantime continued my own research and after recalling something Wessie said many moons ago I investigated Kappa.  They have some really nice kit and at considerably less cost than Givi (whom they are a part of), SW Motech etc.  This one looks interesting https://www.kappamoto.com/us/Soft-Luggage/Tank-bags/RA311R-TANKLOCK, or they have a smaller one https://www.kappamoto.com/us/Soft-Luggage/Tank-bags/RA308R-TANKLOCK.

Anyone out there got any reason why I shouldn't buy Kappa?

CS

No reason not to use Kappa @captainscarlet. As you say, they are part of Givi and presumably either forego some profit margin or use slightly less costly materials as they are cheaper to buy than Givi. Both bags you linked to are bigger than I would use, but many people go in that direction so it must work. I’d rather stick stuff in a pannier if I had that much to carry.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

I really like the look of this 1. Only 7 liters but that's plenty for the small stuff. Goes with the contour of the tank. A little pricey but it seems they all are these days. I know under 1 of these threads they have a pic of this 1 on an FJ. Looks nice. 

https://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-motech-evo-engage-tank-bag-7-l-for-evo-tank-ring-black-grey

I found the link with the pictures

https://fj-09.org/thread/5241/review-motech-evo-engage-tank

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

I chose the SW Motech quick ring thing. It looks better than the Give, while still being ugly. But you get used to it, and it you drive with a tank bag on all the time, then you don't even see it.

I have the Yukon 90 bag and it's 100% water proof. I cut the lid off and on longer trips I keep it in the side bags. Only really need it if it rains heavy for a long period of time.

Contents in the bag gets really hot. Water bottles will be steaming (almost) and I switched to keeping water in the side bags.

Quite sturdy, never had any problems with it, good quality product!

I personally don't like large tank bags...
One advantage of a moderate size tank bag is you can drop your left elbow on ii and rest a bit toward the end of a long day.  I do this all the time. 
cb
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• Premium Member
I have a givi tank bag w ring mount to avoid paint scratches. Just remember if you order one like that that the usable space is much less than it appears (and than a magnetic one) because so much of the bag structure supports the mount. YMMV...

Archived