FJ09 Cruise control

I do not have the budget for a Tracer 900 GT, so I am contemplating buying a FJ09 instead. I only want 3 major things that I know i can add to the fj09

Heaated grips, sport shift and cruise control.

Anyone added cruise in a FJ09?  i want i to look as factory as possible.

please advise, thanks jason

26 minutes ago, Cruizin said:

We used to sell a plug and play cruise control kit right here on the forum, but our supplier went out of business and Iv'e been crying ever since.

Get the GT man, its worth it. 

Have to agree, wanted cruise and when the gt came out I went for it, by the time you add cost of extras and consider it comes with panniers which are well made go for gt😁

Or buy a used FJ-09 that someone else has farkled up to your liking.  I got a '15 with cruise control, heated grips, ECU flash, factory panniers, bar risers, extended cables, 3 different windshields, FJR pegs, and a bunch of other stuff I can't recall. It was two years old, 9k miles, YES extended warranty, for $6.9k.

No, the cruise doesn't look factory, but it works well and isn't hideous. Then again, I'm more interested in function than I am in looks. 

• Thumbsup 3

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

• Premium Member

I installed the MCCruise on my 2015 FJ09 just last month.  It requires removing almost all the bodywork, but the instructions and photos are great.  I took it slowly and did the job in small stages over a week of evenings.  I got the Super Tenere harness from MCCruise and the Super Tenere switches from Yamaha, so it looks factory.  Total for all that was under $1000 US.   $460 if you stick with the MCCruise switches. 

MCCruise make their products in small batches.  If they are currently unavailable, leave your email with them and they will notify you when the next batch is ready for purchase.

• Thumbsup 2

www.ridemsta.com  Riding makes me happy. "Do it or don't do it - you'll regret both." - Soren Kierkegaard

2015 FJ-09, 50k miles, Hord Power ECU, K-Tech suspension, MC Cruise

17 hours ago, Cruizin said:

We used to sell a plug and play cruise control kit right here on the forum, but our supplier went out of business and Iv'e been crying ever since.

Who holds the IP (intellectual property, since  you're an cyber guy haha)? Could another business pick it up?

'15 FJ09

4 hours ago, koth442 said:

Who holds the IP (intellectual property, since  you're an cyber guy haha)? Could another business pick it up?

I tried to pick it up, the maker of the cruise control module requires new licensee's to purchase bulk orders of modules, at least 3000 units at a time.  At around $110 each.   If ya have that kinda cash, go for it. 

• Thumbsup 1

1 hour ago, Cruizin said:

I tried to pick it up, the maker of the cruise control module requires new licensee's to purchase bulk orders of modules, at least 3000 units at a time.  At around $110 each.   If ya have that kinda cash, go for it. 

Wow, that's quite the investment. I was going to encourage CalSci to pick it up. But there's no way with that much of an initial cost.

'15 FJ09

• 3 months later...
  • Premium Member
On 12/28/2018 at 11:26 PM, duhg said:

I installed the MCCruise on my 2015 FJ09 just last month.  It requires removing almost all the bodywork, but the instructions and photos are great.  I took it slowly and did the job in small stages over a week of evenings.

I finally got out for a decent ride with the MC Cruise installed.  I rode 168 miles today involving interstate and curvy rural roads.   The cruise control was brilliant.  In known speed trap areas I could set it and relax.  One weird thing - the set switch is also accelerate and the resume switch is decelerate.  I'm accustomed to the opposite.  Other than that it works as expected.  It is a great addition to the bike.

www.ridemsta.com  Riding makes me happy. "Do it or don't do it - you'll regret both." - Soren Kierkegaard

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, duhg said:

One weird thing - the set switch is also accelerate and the resume switch is decelerate.  I'm accustomed to the opposite.  Other than that it works as expected.  It is a great addition to the bike.

What switch do you have for the cruise control?  Both the FJR and Tenere have the set/decelerate on the bottom and Resume/Accelerate on the top. 

Cruise Switch.jpg

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

Mine reads "SET -", but that is not what it does.  It took me by surprise, but I caught on.  I may have to change the markings.

"SET" does indeed set the speed and "RES" does resume.  But the acel and decel functions are swapped.  I don't know if I installed a pair of wires incorrectly, or what.

switches.png

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
33 minutes ago, duhg said:

Mine reads "SET -", but that is not what it does.  It took me by surprise, but I caught on.  I may have to change the markings.

"SET" does indeed set the speed and "RES" does resume.  But the acel and decel functions are swapped.  I don't know if I installed a pair of wires incorrectly, or what.

Yes, you may have something swapped.  Maybe read through the install instruction or go through the calibration/setup again.  With any luck it will be an easy fix.  👍

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
12 hours ago, duhg said:

switches.png

No, you got it right. Mine is identical. Set - sets cruise speed and accel. Res - Resumes and decels.  That's just the way the Brandon CC works anyway. Same controller, I understand, as the McCruise.

• Thumbsup 2
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone installing the MCCruise had an 059 error on dash? (this is googled as a TPS problem) the calibration goes smoothly until it's time to start the engine, at which point the error disappears - then it won't start..

:(  Double and triple checked all of the additional wiring, spent the day pulling the last of my hair out