Wheel rim decals

$22 is probably not cheap but it does enhance the look of the bike (assuming you find the colour you want). Other brand roll kits start as low as $4 on ebay if you do a search. 

If you have left over 6mm after the stripes you can also try applying it to the wheel to see how difficult it is to do free hand. I believe the only difference is rim tape is usually 7mm.

Edited by bugie

I striped the wheels on my 2012 KTM after they came that way from the factory on a 13. For the first attempt I bought a kit with a guide tool, but the vinyl quality sucked and they didn't hold up. For my second attempt is used a $9 roll of automotive 3m pinstripe, and a homemade guide I made out of an expired credit card. Second attempt was actually easier to use and it held up great.

I like the plain look of my gray FJ, but I've considered adding reflective black stripes for visibility.

12 KTM 990SMT.JPG

I'm not at all sure of my ability to put the tapes on 'free-hand', and I certainly don't want to buy the Oxford kit to find that their 'red' = pink or orange or whatever!   The tape I've just put on is certainly close enough, but the Bagster seat that is on its way has red stitching, so I don't really want to introduce too many shades of red onto the bike! 

So I've decided to go another route and get some of the gold-coloured (to complement the front fork) wheel rim decals (as opposed to tape) - see pic below of the installation on an earlier Tracer.   But next time I'll put them on rather more carefully!

P1040373.JPG

Edited by wordsmith

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

On 1/9/2019 at 1:06 PM, betoney said:

I used very soapy water on the rim and installed one stripe and got it positioned then squeegee'd the excess water out, then repeated with the remaining stripes.

If you think about it, this approach seems very counter-intuitive - soapy water + adhesive = ???   But I've heard of this technique before...  How long did it take for the adhesive to fully cure, betoney?

I've e-mailed the vendor (in Scotland) of the decals I've just ordered asking him if his material is suited to this approach - I hope he says yes, for I'd like to get a better 'fit' and look than hitherto!!

Cheers...

Edited by wordsmith

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Supporting Member
31 minutes ago, wordsmith said:

If you think about it, this approach seems very counter-intuitive - soapy water + adhesive = ???   But I've heard of this technique before...  How long did it take for the adhesive to fully cure, betoney?

@wordsmith - I did mine on a warm sunny day, they dried quickly in the sun after the water was squeegee'd dry.

As I said previously, I did mine when the wheels were off the bike for a tire change.  I put the wheel on a Dirt Bike tire changing stand, completed one side than let it dry for a few minutes in the sun, then flipped it over and did the opposite side of the rim.

Edited by betoney

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

16 hours ago, wordsmith said:

I've e-mailed the vendor (in Scotland) of the decals I've just ordered asking him if his material is suited to this approach - I hope he says yes, for I'd like to get a better 'fit' and look than hitherto!!

The vendor has replied - see below - this is very helpful and I'll certainly use this technique when applying his decals.

Yes, it is possible to use a little soapy water when applying the decals to move them around and into position. However it is very important to be very patient using this application technique. You have to ensure that you do not remove the application tape before the soapy application solution has fully dried and the decals are fully cured. This can take up to 24 hours to be sure. I hope this helps? And thank you for your order. If you have any problems or queries, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best regards,
Ross.
cleardot.gif

19 hours ago, wordsmith said:

Cheers...

Yes it's counter intuitive but works! Fitted instrument screen protector and clear protector on top of panniers (boot scuffs!) on GT with soapy water and then used hair dryer.

Here's the E Bay link to these decals.   The vendor has all known motorcycle brands covered, and for us - 'Tracer' - and I think I saw 'Tracer GT' there on an earlier search.   I'm going, as shown above, with plain an' simple 'Yamaha'.   

It also occurs to me that these decals, being somewhat curved, would go very nicely on a helmet!   There are many different colours including a couple of metallics.   The kit comprises eight (8) decals, meaning two each side of each wheel - plenty!

8 x YAMAHA wheel rim decals - Choice of colour - yzf R6 R1 R125 MT09 MT10 MT07.

If this link doesn't work, try rosko07.

P1050052.JPG

Edited by wordsmith

On 1/11/2019 at 7:20 PM, wordsmith said:

Cheers...

wordsmith, this is the same technique that is used to apply window tint  on cars and commercial buildings. I use this same technique to put vinyl stickers on my truck windows. 

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

On 1/9/2019 at 12:16 AM, bugie said:

If you are doing a simple red stripe don't buy those as they are quite difficult to align. You can buy rolls of rim tape that come with an applicator tool. Super easy and shouldn't take you more than 5 mins each wheel as they are 1 piece. The tool just rests on the rim so the tape remains equally spaced in the wheel. It also separates the sticky backing from the decal as you apply it. You can see the roll in question and how the applicator works in the pic i attached. 1 roll should do an entire bike.

Just make sure you clean the rim properly before application using alcohol

I would only recommend rim tapes that come in multiple parts when they have graphics. 

71AZrCVRXwL._SX466_.jpg

applicator.jpg

I did the same. Easy enough and quick. Make sure you roll overlap the starting end a little then very carefully with a very sharp razor knife cut through both ends at once to have a perfect matched joint. Place a small dab of clear nail polish at the joint and they'll never come off.  Just remember not to power wash your rims!  

Edited by 2linby

Everything is simple, Nothing is easy

Thanks, tktplz and 2linby.   One lives and learns on this most excellent forum!   I've had window-tint put onto all the cars we've bought over the past twenty or so years - and indeed on some windows in our new house when it was built -  but never having watched the procedure didn't realise it was the old 'soapy-water' trick!   The OXFORD tape+ applicator kit seems to be available here only in orange - no good!   So the decals approach is what I'll take, and they are on-way from Scotland.   I look forward to using the soapy-water method!

• 10 months later...
  • Supporting Member

Resurecting this thread to ask for some guidance as I've searched but cannot find.

I can find plenty of discussion on wheel rim decals but wondered if there was a decal available for the grooved line in the side panels as indicated below?  Or even suggestions of what others have done/used would be appreciated.  I'm actually thinking of doing some rim stripes as well all in RED. .... or should I choose GOLD?   I do like the red on black look though and I do have that nice red K-Tech Razor-R installed.  Decisions, decisions......🤔

What do the learned majority with a more 'artsy' eye think?

Cheers

38719934_sidestripe.thumb.jpg.1b5da6d4f10946eecaf36c7de8920d07.jpg

12 minutes ago, dazzler24 said:

Resurecting this thread to ask for some guidance as I've searched but cannot find.

I can find plenty of discussion on wheel rim decals but wondered if there was a decal available for the grooved line in the side panels as indicated below?  Or even suggestions of what others have done/used would be appreciated.  I'm actually thinking of doing some rim stripes as well all in RED. .... or should I choose GOLD?   I do like the red on black look though and I do have that nice red K-Tech Razor-R installed.  Decisions, decisions......🤔

What do the learned majority with a more 'artsy' eye think?

Cheers

38719934_sidestripe.thumb.jpg.1b5da6d4f10946eecaf36c7de8920d07.jpg

No decal- a few members have used colored pin stripe style tape, IIRC @wordsmithhas done this a few times...

• Thanks 1
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

Don't mix too many colours would be my advice.   If you put red rim-tape on, put red into the tank-groove too.   If gold tank- groove tape (which chimes nicely with the gold fork - mine are pure 24 carat of course) apply gold rim-tape.   Red and gold pin-striping tape is readily available from the most auto accessories retailers, or online.   

An alternative is to purchase on-line some neat and discreet (and different) wheel-rim decals that read "Tracer" or "Yamaha" or similar identifying wording - a set of eight (8) = four (4) per wheel, = two (2) each side, will set you back about $20, IIRC.   They come from that well-known source of things Yamaha - Scotland. 

I have used their decals on various bikes: they cover all brands, many models, and many colours, and are extremely durable.   Easy - if a little fiddly - to apply too.  If well-done, they do look good, IMHO.

Source <moto.monkey@rocketmail.com>

P1060065.JPG

Edited by wordsmith
  • Thanks 1