FJ09 to Tracer GT - is it worth it?

Or - sell the farkled bike privately and get a better deal than selling to a dealer.   That's my experience anyway, as one who swaps bikes very regularly.

• Thumbsup 1

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Motopumps, I definitely understand the dealer's perspective and the value (or lack thereof) of the mods and farkles. I have sold my past 3 bikes on craigslist and cycletrader for this reason. I get that the dealer WANTS pristine, untouched bikes but that isn't the reality of the hobby we enjoy. Or at least it's very rare. From a consumer perspective I wish that was different. I would much rather walk into any of the shops in my town and see quality, well maintained, but modified bikes rather than the more typical clapped out GSXR with blue windshield and spike bar ends and race exhaust. Most of us seasoned riders take impeccable care of our bikes even when we modify them and someone would be fortunate to happen upon a bike that has a lot of the work already done for them. 

Having said that I mean no disrespect to you in your position. I have several friends that work at dealerships and some that own them as well. I can see your side. I just wish the dealer and consumer could meet in the middle more often. 

• Thumbsup 2

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, yes, yes, just traded the 2015 FJ in on a GT and loving it . Yamaha listened and got this one right.

Just tested the grip warmers this morning 28 degrees F and toasty.

I started with a 2014 FZ to 2015 Fj to GT never look back.

Thanks Yamaha.

Rob out. 

• Thumbsup 2

• 4 weeks later...

After 36,000 FJ 09 miles, I made the switch. I think that the FJ is one of the best bikes I’ve owned; never one problem was experienced. However, the GT is a better bike. Thankfully, the great triple engine is unchanged. The quality of fit and finish is better. The stability with the extended wheelbase is improved. I like the TFT dash, the cruise control, and the suspension is better than on my 2015. I like that the drive mode doesn’t return to std everytime the engine is stopped. It stays in A mode which I prefer. The stock seat is much better than the FJ’s. No need to buy an aftermarket seat for me. The sum of the changes finally made me upgrade, I’m glad I did.A78FB6AB-7739-4C1C-BBFE-993737314F07.thumb.jpeg.f33fbac08f8d6d1308f7b33138f7a67e.jpeg

Edited by kingfisher
  • Thumbsup 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kingfisher said:

After 36,000 FJ 09 miles, I made the switch. I think that the FJ is one of the best bikes I’ve owned; never one problem was experienced. However, the GT is a better bike. Thankfully, the great triple engine is unchanged. The quality of fit and finish is better. The stability with the extended wheelbase is improved. I like the TFT dash, the cruise control, and the suspension is better than on my 2015. I like that the drive mode doesn’t return to std everytime the engine is stopped. It stays in A mode which I prefer. The stock seat is much better than the FJ’s. No need to buy an aftermarket seat for me. The sum of the changes finally made me upgrade, I’m glad I did.A78FB6AB-7739-4C1C-BBFE-993737314F07.thumb.jpeg.f33fbac08f8d6d1308f7b33138f7a67e.jpeg

Sounds very positive, and the bike looks great!

• Thumbsup 2

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

The new ones always look and feel better than the old ones. More often, the issues of old models, were solved in the newly released models. Same goes with motorcycles. Therefore, I can say that the new GT is worth the money. However, if you can only afford the upgrades, then you can opt which is best for you. On the other hand, you can sell your fj09 to buy the new gt.

41 minutes ago, fjinfl said:

Can you elaborate on this? What is the "error" in the forks? I have not heard this before.

Metal knocking sound when  past smal bumpers on the street...iritating....construction problem....but yamaha stay quite....

I would have a hard time trading in a perfectly good FJ09 on the new Tracer GT because I know how good the FJ09 was. That said, it sounds like the upgrades you value on the new GT are things you likely plan to purchase for your FJ, so it makes sense to upgrade. I love my GT, hope it keeps me happy for a long time because all this switching around to different bikes has seriously taken a toll on my bank account over the last 3 years.

• Thumbsup 1

2019 Tracer GT and 2015 SR400

Well, I very much appreciate everyone's input. And the verdict is...I am keeping the beloved FJ. My local dealer has not had any GT's so I had to travel a bit to find one. When I finally did get a chance to ride the GT I could definitely see and feel the improvements, but while there are things I like a lot on the GT, I started to realize that there is nothing that I really dislike about my FJ. The GT does things better than the FJ, but it is not because the FJ does anything wrong. The GT is just a bit more refined. In the end, I didn't think the improvements were enough to make the switch.

But...in a stunning turn of events, while shopping for the new bike I rode something that I could not turn away from, and now, I am awaiting the order on my new 2019 Ducati XDiavel. It was the most unlikely of candidates, but once I rode it I was hooked. It will definitely be the bike that stares back at me in the garage, beckoning me to ride. 

I'll be hanging on to the FJ and probably not do much else to it, but it will definitely have a secure place in my garage and in my riding routine. 

Thanks again to all, and I'm sure I'll be around here a bit longer keeping up with FJ/Tracer news. 

• Thumbsup 3

I would hate to have to move all (most) of my farkles to a new bike, so I'm sticking with what I have for now. If I make a change it'll be to a totally different bike (DR 650).

Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway.

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, fjinfl said:

But...in a stunning turn of events, while shopping for the new bike I rode something that I could not turn away from, and now, I am awaiting the order on my new 2019 Ducati XDiavel. It was the most unlikely of candidates, but once I rode it I was hooked. It will definitely be the bike that stares back at me in the garage, beckoning me to ride. 

Ah, the feeling of taking a test ride on a bike and coming back saying "I gotta have this bike", that's a great feeling!  I have tested many bikes, but only one as you describe above:  not expected, not looking for it, didn't know I wanted it, but once I rode it, I said "I gotta have this bike" - a 2009 Ninja ZX-14.  Enjoy the Diavel!

• Thumbsup 1

2019 Tracer 900 GT

Niwot CO
USA

• Supporting Member
8 hours ago, runnerhiker said:

Ah, the feeling of taking a test ride on a bike and coming back saying "I gotta have this bike", that's a great feeling!  I have tested many bikes, but only one as you describe above:  not expected, not looking for it, didn't know I wanted it, but once I rode it, I said "I gotta have this bike" - a 2009 Ninja ZX-14.  Enjoy the Diavel!

I had that same feeling a few years ago with the Aprilia Tuono, (rode both the older twin and V4) absolutely STUNNING bikes.  However, dealer network, parts ability and potential Italian fickle-ness brought me back to reality.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***