FJ09 to Tracer GT - is it worth it?

Just like the title says. I have a 2015 FJ09 and ever since the Tracer 900 GT was announced a year or so ago I was instantly intrigued. I have a "wish list" of things to get for my bike, but I'm not sure if it's worth the time and money and maybe I should just get the new GT. To sum it up my list consists of the following: $800 for Yamaha side cases, $800 or so for MC Cruise and switch gear, $300+ for a new seat for better long distance comfort, $70 plus time to install new (narrower) handlebars, plus a couple hundred for heated grips. All of these things would make the ideal ride for me and the riding that I do. 

Oddly enough, all of these things come standard on the new GT and it is the main reason I was drawn to it. Plus it has a better traction control system and a slipper clutch, and better suspension. Are there any owners out there that went from an early FJ09 to the new GT? Is it worth buying a new bike. On paper, it seems to beat the FJ hands down, but is it that much better in real daily riding?

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member

I also have a '15 FJ09, -every single thing on your "to-do" list was accomplished in the first 6 months of ownership on my bike, so except for the colored TFT display and reshaped bodywork, I technically already have a GT.

If I was buying new today there is no question that I would buy the GT, it has every option I would want on a bike (though I would still tweak and personalize it a bit, but thats just me) and I think that the fit and finish is just a bit more thought out and refined over the previous FJ. 

I suppose the questions you have to ask yourself is 1) Do you want to drop that much money on upgrading a 4 year old bike? and 2) Do you want to go through the time and effort of doing all of the upgrades to your older bike? (disassembling the bike, ordering parts, installing and adjusting everything) or simply buy one thats ready to roll right off the showroom floor?   Personally, I enjoy modifying my bikes and dont mind wrenching on them, but like I said, the GT is a fantastic starting point.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

Worth it for me.  Local dealers have new leftover FJ09s for ~$8600.  I opted to get a GT for about $4k more.   Some of the changes would be easy, some not as much.  When you add them all up, it made sense to me.

Rob

• Thumbsup 1

I went from a 2015 gen 1 to the GT. Absolutely worth the upgrade. Every little detail they have refined and the package as a whole is worth the cost

It still leaves room for personal tweaking to suit tastes

However, you can happily ride the GT out of the showroom and go anywhere as standard

Depends on your financial situation and tendency to keep bike longer or freq “changer”

difference between trading in or selling to getting new  vs spending money to update old will be around 4k after all expenses. If you tend to keep the bike longer and financially able to swing that much money it’s definitely worth it. It’s not just add on the swing arm length and frame changes etc is well worth it. Plus all new bike with new suspension new tires etc all add up to catch up with cost over the long term. 

Edited by TracerDoc

• Supporting Member

I would say it is a no-brainer, go for a new GT. If you have any crash protection and other upgrades take them off and throw them on the GT.

He who dies with the most toys wins.

• Supporting Member

I take from your post that you already own the FJ-09. Just consider that we have GT owners on here complaining about various things... so it's not as if you're guaranteed a significant improvement in daily riding. You will likely have to add $$$ to that purchase price of the GT... and take a loss on the FJ. Financially it doesn't work... but when did that ever stop us from doing things. Go for it... 😈

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

In the end... Your only missing out on a color dash and 2 more modes of TC for an extra $4-5k before you even start farkling the GT to your taste...

Slipper clutch can be retrofit... upgraded OEM suspension on GT (I don't believe it one bit) ... You may dislike the GT bags and opt for different ones... 

2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

I got a 2017 in August of last year for $10,200 OTD with the three extra years of extended warranty. The GT wasn't available around here at that time, but now they are listing for about $13,000. Add the extra warranty and taxes and other BS and I'd probably be lucky to get one OTD for $15,000.

I added a Corbin heated seat, Madstad windscreen, McCruise, Givi crash bars with highway pegs, Yamaha heated grips and rear rack, rubber topped foot pegs and different hand guards. I already had a top case. All of these additions came in at just under $2000. So for $12,200 the FJ  has everything the GT has except for the extended swingarm, the TFT dash, quickshifter and hard bags.

Even if I had the GT I'd still want everything I added to the FJ except the cruise control which it already has. That would bring the cost of the GT up to about $16,300

So for $4000 less, or $3000 less if I got hard bags (which I don't want) I think I did well to go with the FJ-09.

Edit: I also added the quick shifter later, an easy install on the 2017.

Edited by new1709rider
Add on

• Premium Member

I bought my Tracer GT  last August, seven months ago, and I have zero regrets.  I have not owned any previous iteration of this bike - no FJ 09 nor MT, etc.  So I can't give you the comparison you are asking for.

But this Tracer GT has a lot of equipment for $13k, I think it is very much worth it, and I think a more satisfying bike than putting $4k into your FJ-09.  I would buy the new GT.

• Thumbsup 1

2019 Tracer 900 GT

Niwot CO
USA

I had the choice of a used 2016 FJ 09 at $7,000 and have wanted this bike since 2016. before the GT was announced I knew I wanted heated grips and a quickshifter and side bags and all the goodies the gt ended up having. I added up and between what I could do and wanted and it was more worth it to get the GT and I do not regret waiting and getting it. There are also several things I would not have upgraded from the FJ but am glad I have it (swingarm, TCS, cruise, tft dash). Between the better upgrades and what I was going to upgrade, and the time it would have taken to upgrade, I decided it was a better deal to go for the GT. Also, while the gt seat is better, I still got a corbin seat for more comfort. 

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the great replies. Oddly enough I'm still on the fence but leaning toward just pulling the trigger on the GT. I do like to work on my bikes and make them  my own, but that will happen no matter what bike it is. My rationale at this point is, I generally keep bikes for 3 or 4 years anyway and I can add just about everything to my FJ that I like in the GT, but if I spend that money now, I'll never see it again. No dealer will give a flip if it has aftermarket cruise (even with OEM switches) or any of the other mods. At best I could expect a few hundred more on trade. Or I just go get the bike that has that stuff now. 

Or I just shut up and ride the nice bike I have and quit spending money on it. Ok, who am I kidding...

Thanks again. 

• Premium Member

From the dealer's perspective, we want pristine, unmodified bikes.  Aftermarket cruise control, owner modified wiring, highway pegs, big windshields, etc., rarely add any value at the time of trade, and sometimes detract.   Our advice to owners is to return the bike to stock before trading it and sell the parts on eBay. 

Rob

• Thumbsup 2