Daytime running light/Led blinkers - is there any middle ground

At last I pick up my GT tomorrow. On my last two bikes I have installed daytime running lights like the Piaa fork mount lights in amber. Does anyone know of someone that makes a set up for the GT? Whatout the Piaa price.

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and am looking for some advice from the collective.  I've had a good look through the forum but can't find an answer to my question, but if you know where there might be one, please let me know.

I have a 2016 MT09 Tracer and want to fit some aftermarket LED indicators, which are also equipped with daylight running lights (DRL).  The question is how best to wire them in?

Each indicator has three wires but the connectors on the loom have only two (positive and neutral for the indicators?).  For the front DRL I was looking at linking in to the auxiliary connector behind the screen, but of course there is only one wire left on each side.  So, knowing very little about automotive electrics, I'm guessing I need a negative connection from somewhere.  Can I add another connector to the negative wire coming from the indicator and use that? or will I have to do some other wizardry to get them to work?

Many thanks in advance of any ideas you might have.

@Hasher, which country are you in, as the indicators have different numbers of wires depending on whether your country has running lights as standard?

I’m going to presume no standard running lights as your indicators have only two wires.

Connect up the two wires from the original connector, these go to the indicator connections on the LEDs. The complication is that you may have to fit a resistor or change the relay as the blink rate may well be too fast. For the DRL connection, take only the positive wire from one of the auxiliary connectors behind the screen, split it into two and feed these to each DRL wire on your indicators. You only need the positive wire as you already have a ground wire from the indicator feed.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

Hi BBB,

Great news, thanks. I'm in the UK so what you propose sounds good to me. I've seen other posts that say it's possible to feed two wires into one of the auxiliary connectors, so I'll give that a try, after identifying the positive connector.  Then I'll do similar at the rear of the bike.

Happy to post photos or a video if anyone else might be interested.

Ed

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, Hasher said:

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and am looking for some advice from the collective.  I've had a good look through the forum but can't find an answer to my question, but if you know where there might be one, please let me know.

I have a 2016 MT09 Tracer and want to fit some aftermarket LED indicators, which are also equipped with daylight running lights (DRL).  The question is how best to wire them in?

Each indicator has three wires but the connectors on the loom have only two (positive and neutral for the indicators?).  For the front DRL I was looking at linking in to the auxiliary connector behind the screen, but of course there is only one wire left on each side.  So, knowing very little about automotive electrics, I'm guessing I need a negative connection from somewhere.  Can I add another connector to the negative wire coming from the indicator and use that? or will I have to do some other wizardry to get them to work?

Many thanks in advance of any ideas you might have.

So, are you talking about LED indicators on the front or rear?  The front indicators already have 3 leads and the rear doesn't have running lights.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member

I swapped the OE amber lenses to clear, and then fitted switch-back LED bulbs. White DRL and amber when blinking. The effect is pretty cool. Had to mute the DRL intensity with 50 ohm resistors... but I am very pleased with this setup. Bright and very visible over a wide angle.

FJ-09.thumb.jpg.d5aa525c22e5a7cf13e42e37ee1ee9e4.jpg

Edited by piotrek
  • Thumbsup 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

11 hours ago, betoney said:

So, are you talking about LED indicators on the front or rear?  The front indicators already have 3 leads and the rear doesn't have running lights.

Interesting, I haven't accessed the front indicators yet, so didn't know there were 3 wires, thanks Betoney. I was thinking of tapping into the rear light as those indicators have red DRL feature, rather than white on the front.

5 hours ago, piotrek said:

I swapped the OE amber lenses to clear, and then fitted switch-back LED bulbs. White DRL and amber when blinking. The effect is pretty cool. Had to mute the DRL intensity with 50 ohm resistors... but I am very pleased with this setup. Bright and very visible over a wide angle.

Hi Piotrek, good looking bike. I don't  know how relevant it is to you, or indeed how true it is, but I read on another UK forum that it's not legal to fit LED bulbs into fittings designed for incandescent bulbs.

• Supporting Member
19 hours ago, Toddtr said:

2408A7D0-4C84-4F0E-B9BE-1303590AAFDA.thumb.jpeg.a2b6524281dc83c9321e047f8855b6cd.jpegI installed some leds on the hand guards. Could have wires them to the running lights and blinkers but decided to just leave them on with the headlight. 

That is where I have fitted Denali flush mount lights. Wired into running lights and blinkers. 👍

• Like 1

2019 900 GT, 1969 Honda S90

18 hours ago, piotrek said:

Hey, what kind of aux light mounts did you you use?

Cheers