Rear paddock stand

• Premium Member

I’ve been meaning to get one and have put it off long enough I guess. I have a set of sticky Bridgestones I want to put on before my extended weekend in Tellico Plains, TN coming at the end of the month. 

I’m going to call Pit Bull later this morning to see if it will work since they don’t have anything listed for the Tracer GT (or the FJ for that matter). 

E31615AD-2A4F-4065-8118-174895EB6FFD.png

• Supporting Member

That is the stand I use on my GT and about all of my bikes. A great quality stand that will survive a nuclear attack.

• Thumbsup 2

He who dies with the most toys wins.

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, 3sum said:

I’ve been meaning to get one and have put it off long enough I guess. I have a set of sticky Bridgestones I want to put on before my extended weekend in Tellico Plains, TN coming at the end of the month.

What Bridgestones are you using?  I am on my 3rd set of S21's and love them!  During their recent March/ April Rebate I also picked up a set of T31's and will give them a trial this summer.

Just curious, why use a rear stand to remove the tire if you already have a center stand?  I'm just thinking "bang-for-the-buck" as you could get a set of T31's (after rebate) for the $170 price of the stand!  😎

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member

@3sum - I use that same Pit Bull stand for my FJ, Mille, and 636.   You just need to have a set of swing arm spools (‘paddock bobbins’ I believe is the European term?) threaded into the FJ swingarm.   I use ones from EvoTech, but there are a bunch of other options out there.   The width is slightly different in each of my bikes, so I have the right side adjuster on the stand bolted down tight, and leave the left side a fraction loose...  a quick tap with a hammer moves it in/out to the width I need to each bike.  

That said, it’s actually easier to pull both tires if you use the centerstand as @betoney suggests.  I pull the rear, then lift the front to pull it.  A floor jack under the headers works well, but my preferred technique is to pull the rear end down with tie-down straps from the rear rack to hooks on the lift.  Anything heavy to anchor to should work.  

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member

The Pit Bull's are nice, but very expensive! I opted to buy from Harbor Freight and get a knock-off that I have been using for 5+ years at less than half the price. Works great, and has never given me any issues.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, betoney said:

What Bridgestones are you using?  I am on my 3rd set of S21's and love them!  During their recent March/ April Rebate I also picked up a set of T31's and will give them a trial this summer.

The S21’s are what I bought during that rebate. They came recommended by a friend and I figured I’d give them a try. Good to know someone with an FJ/Tracer has them and likes them too. 

As far as using the rear stand, I just like the most stability I can have. I already have a front Pit Bull and gave away my rear Pit Bull when I sold my Tuono to sweeten the pot and wish I hadn’t. I keep the front stand on the ceiling of the garage. 

image.jpg

• Thumbsup 2

• 3 months later...
On 4/6/2019 at 12:30 PM, texscottyd said:

@3sum - I use that same Pit Bull stand for my FJ, Mille, and 636.   You just need to have a set of swing arm spools (‘paddock bobbins’ I believe is the European term?) threaded into the FJ swingarm.   I use ones from EvoTech, but there are a bunch of other options out there.   The width is slightly different in each of my bikes, so I have the right side adjuster on the stand bolted down tight, and leave the left side a fraction loose...  a quick tap with a hammer moves it in/out to the width I need to each bike.  

That said, it’s actually easier to pull both tires if you use the centerstand as @betoney suggests.  I pull the rear, then lift the front to pull it.  A floor jack under the headers works well, but my preferred technique is to pull the rear end down with tie-down straps from the rear rack to hooks on the lift.  Anything heavy to anchor to should work.  

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but does anyone know what size thread spools our bikes need? I have a set of M8 spools/bobbins from my last bike, but they are too big. One would assume M6 outs be the correct size, but wanted to check.

Thanks

Rob