Another Cracked Oil Pan

Finally got mine mounted.  Ran into a very small snag in that the bolts they provide to replace the bolts on the right engine cover were a little too long and would bottom out.  Got out my handy Dremel tool and made them the perfect length :-) easy fix!  Very sturdy when mounted.  I like the way the back bracket goes all the way across the pan which should make it more resistant to the breakage Clegg78 had.  The pan itself is 3mm aluminum - mine is powder coated and i measure 3.2 to 3.4 mm thick so may be a bit thicker than 3mm.  Seems to be very stout.  When all the brackets are in place and the bolts tightened it is very rigid.  I am certainly happy with it and would defiantly recommend it.  I'll try and take some photos tomorrow.

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 1

Here are a couple of photos of the skid pan.  Have ridden a few times since installing and no issues at all - but haven't been off pavement so no surprise there.  I did play more aggressively yesterday and no scraping or anything.  The more I study it the more I like it and feel like it would certainly handle the problem Clegg78 had without failing.  I really like the rear bracket that goes completely across the pan instead o being two short pieces.  Going across the pan adds stiffness and makes the pan less likely to bend like his did.  I wondered how the silver color of the mounting brackets would work and it is fine.  The scuff on the engine case was there when I bought the bike and ins much less apparent in normal lighting.  That is a bug splat below and in front of it, should have cleaned it before the photos.IMG_2047.thumb.jpg.3af5aaa99b56a2fa4af9008f04fb00da.jpgIMG_2048.thumb.jpg.d6357150a60272a5c5cf49f8750e71b8.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
18 minutes ago, roy826 said:

I assume none of these pans/plates will work with aftermarket headers? 

A lot of headers fit close to the engine but the Akrapovic stick out a bit.  Check side profile photos.

akrapovic-yamaha-mt09-2017-4.jpg

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

48 minutes ago, betoney said:

A lot of headers fit close to the engine but the Akrapovic stick out a bit.  Check side profile photos.

akrapovic-yamaha-mt09-2017-4.jpg

I have the Akrapovic and yes they come straight down not angled back like oem. 

• Supporting Member

@PhotoAl Thanks for the pics and the write-up.  I want one!!

Lastly, I'm disappointed.  Only one bug splat ?

• Haha 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount