Tracer GT where is it made/assembled?

Hi there,

A new member here. Just a quick question, anyone knows where is the Yamaha Tracer GT 900 assembled?

As we know that many japanese bikes nowdays are assembled everywhere around the world like thailand etc..

I heard from a dealer from Malaysia that the local Tracer GT are assembled there and it doesn't come with side cases.

Curious to know if anyone knows where it is assembled or made from.

I wouldn't be surprised if Yamaha has multiple facilities around the world producing these. Much of what we get here in the US is assembled in Japan. Even the less expensive models we get here, like the TW200, XT250, and MT07, are assembled in Japan.

2019 Tracer GT and 2015 SR400

• Supporting Member
37 minutes ago, Faris said:

Mind showing a picture of it covering your VIN number?

Where is it located?

The sticker with VIN on your bike is on the right side of the steering stem.  Mine says Made in Japan also.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

2 minutes ago, betoney said:

The sticker with VIN on your bike is on the right side of the steering stem.  Mine says Made in Japan also.

Thanks in advance. I am from Singapore and I heard it's exported from Japan too but for Malaysia market it's made in Malaysia want to know how true it is.

Probably the "final assembly" is done in Japan and other parts are made elsewere to be shipped to Japan for "final assembly" 

"Final Assembly" loosely means "Made In" -  At my work for example we make parts for other overseas countries and a few of them we have to place a sticker that says "Made in ? " But not " Made in USA" even tho we make the entire part but don't certify the part for "emissions regs" as that is done by the company who gets the parts...

• Thumbsup 1
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

I owned (and enjoyed) a BMW F800GT once - a vertical parallel twin-cylinder machine with belt-drive.   It was widely said that the engine and gearbox was assembled in China from parts sent from Germany, then back again to be put into the final 'Made in Germany' bike (thereby racking-up lots of carbon-footprint air-miles!).   

A large proportion of Triumph bikes are these days fully made in Thailand.

Edited by wordsmith

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

I heard Yamaha is going to be producing the new Tenere 700 in both Japan and France. The Euro facility will supply Europe with bikes, Japan to the rest of the world. Yamaha keeps hyping this bike, so it was a bit disappointing to hear that North America isn't getting it until next year as a 2021 model. 

2019 Tracer GT and 2015 SR400

A common form of knock-down is a complete knock-down (CKD), which is a kit of the completely non-assembled parts of a product. It is also a method of supplying parts to a market, particularly in shipping to foreign nations, and serves as a way of counting or pricing.

SG should be cbu models

• Thumbsup 1

A kinda different product, but it does illustrate the global manufacturing and marketing scenario - I bought a pack of 20 disposable shavers today.   On the pack: "blades made in USA.   Assembled in Mexico:  Packaged in China".   By the time these shavers hit my shower they'd have been around the world twice!

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.