New Tracer 900 GT Owner

I just picked up a brand new 2020 Tracer 900 GT, this is my second bike, the first was a BMW  RT1100R that I stopped riding about 15 Years ago due to the area we lived in being to dangerous to ride. But that was then and it's time to go back up on two wheels. Since it's been so long since I have ridden I'm taking a refresher course next week to get back in the groove again. I'm super excited to start riding again, but I'm wiser and slower so I'm easing into this, I do however have some questions...

1. Where are you storing things like registration? I can use the saddle bags, but there will be times I will want to ride without them, there isn't much room under the passenger seat. Have people found a better solution?

2. What are people using to mount their phones?, I don't want anything above the display, I was looking at the handle bars as an area to mount the phone so I can use it for GPS...

3. Any idea what to use to protect the paint, I was going to get some wax for the fairings, but I'm not sure what to use around the tank since the paint is satin.

Like I said I'm super excited, I got a taller windshield (I'm 6'4") and the heated comfort seat, and some engine guards (it has been 15 years after all)...

Thanks

-Paul-

welcome to the forum @Death Sprockett, slightly macabre username but hey.

If the registration documents are flat (I’m not sure as we don’t carry the, in the UK), there is a relatively big area under the rider’s seat, above the battery. I have a microfibre cloth and a cargo net stashed there.

Others use tool tubes mounted under the tail (search for @piotrek for example).

For phone mounts, there are lots of options that don’t involve the screen area. I have a RAM ball that replaces one of the handlebar mounting bolts and the case in one from Ultimateaddons. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultimateaddons-Apple-iPhone-Tough-Waterproof/dp/B07BM96WPD/ref=sr_1_11?adgrpid=55875286000&gclid=Cj0KCQiAtOjyBRC0ARIsAIpJyGN1PcjLiMMWVbcJKAegcWnjR_hCye4_5E4KTzSKhj_golY0Cm06akoaAhpWEALw_wcB&hvadid=259101867091&hvdev=t&hvlocphy=9046566&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=4899170316084545260&hvtargid=kwd-300758565024&hydadcr=4395_1795144&keywords=ultimateaddons&qid=1582963601&sr=8-11

In addition to engine guards, consider a radiator guard to protect from stone chips. I’m glad you’re taking the time to get a refresher course, you’ll really enjoy it and be a much safer rider for it. Have fun!

• Thumbsup 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

There is plenty of room for documents under the passenger seat. 

I picked up a Nelson Rigg tailbag for single day trips and mount the factory hard bags when I am going to be gone longer than one day.  The tailbag sits on the passenger seat.

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

• Supporting Member
10 hours ago, Death Sprockett said:

1. Where are you storing things like registration? I can use the saddle bags, but there will be times I will want to ride without them, there isn't much room under the passenger seat. Have people found a better solution?

I always ride with a tank bag where I keep my registration, insurance info, spare keys etc.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Thanks Everyone...

The 'Death Sprockett' name is my gaming handle, I didn't even think twice when I signed up 😀

I'll see if I can rig something up under the passenger seat for the documents, a tank bag is a good idea, but I will be commuting in the summer to work and don't really want to have to keep putting one off and on. I will get one however, I really like the Givi system as they lock right above the gas tank.

UltimateAddOns look really good, I also found one called RockForm that looks good, it's just really expensive for a bike mount. I looked at the Ram Mount and didn't like their phone holder. I have one of their systems in my jeep and it's great, but I would not use it on a bike.

I've already ordered the radiator guard :)

Cheers

-Paul-

I use the ultimateaddons case for my phone when hiking too. The mount just clicks off the back and you’re left with a waterproof, rugged case for throwing in a rucksack.

If you’re undecided about a tankbag, I use the Kriega US20 for my commute. Just enough for shoes, trousers, lunch etc. Goes on the back seat easily and then when you park you put it over your shoulder and walk away. Waterproof too.

us-20-scrambler.jpg?format=1500w

Our best selling US-Drypack System has led the way for universal-fit...

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, Death Sprockett said:

I also found one called RockForm that looks good, it's just really expensive for a bike mount.

Hey Paul - I use the RokForm mount on my FJ, and highly recommend it.  As you point out, it isn’t cheap, but it’s beautifully made and functions flawlessly.   To me, it’s one of those ‘you get what you pay for’ propositions.   The only downside is that you do have to use the RokForm phone case, as the mount and case work together as a unit.  The case is high quality, however, so I’ve been fine with the setup.  

-Scott 

42 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

Hey Paul - I use the RokForm mount on my FJ, and highly recommend it.  As you point out, it isn’t cheap, but it’s beautifully made and functions flawlessly.   To me, it’s one of those ‘you get what you pay for’ propositions.   The only downside is that you do have to use the RokForm phone case, as the mount and case work together as a unit.  The case is high quality, however, so I’ve been fine with the setup.  

-Scott 

Pretty sure that's what I'll use, I did some more looking and really like their product. 

Thanks for the info...

• Thumbsup 1

17 hours ago, Death Sprockett said:

1. Where are you storing things like registration?

I always just tucked the little folder with license, registration, and insurance in my inside jacket pocket.

• Thumbsup 1
TTR Ignition Systems - Teaching Old Bikes New Tricks
Shift Sensors - Quick Shift Controllers
Plug 'n' Play Quick Shifter Kits for FJ-09 US$150 + $15 shipping - In Stock
North American Distributor for Shifting ContRoll     Email

• Supporting Member
36 minutes ago, Death Sprockett said:

Pretty sure that's what I'll use, I did some more looking and really like their product. 

Thanks for the info...

I think you will be pleased with it.   There’s just enough room on the bars between the risers for a full sized phone to fit easily and not block your line of sight to all the gauges and warning lights.   I use an iPhone X, and find that a right-angle power cord gives extra clearance between the bottom of the phone and the plastic tank surround trim.   This is on my 2015 FJ, but I suspect the layout on the new GT is essentially identical.   For reference, I’m 6’2”, have the seat in the tall position, and the handlebars in the forward setting.   

2A10F7AD-4509-4727-8C74-A9B3156FE93D.thumb.jpeg.b014c523d7fa65a4d681ba0036603c53.jpeg

2 hours ago, texscottyd said:

I think you will be pleased with it.   There’s just enough room on the bars between the risers for a full sized phone to fit easily and not block your line of sight to all the gauges and warning lights.   I use an iPhone X, and find that a right-angle power cord gives extra clearance between the bottom of the phone and the plastic tank surround trim.   This is on my 2015 FJ, but I suspect the layout on the new GT is essentially identical.   For reference, I’m 6’2”, have the seat in the tall position, and the handlebars in the forward setting.   

2A10F7AD-4509-4727-8C74-A9B3156FE93D.thumb.jpeg.b014c523d7fa65a4d681ba0036603c53.jpeg

That's not far from what I see on mine (picture attached, we just moved into a new house so the garage is still a mess), that pretty much decides it then, I'll go with that. Their cases look good as well. Thanks for the nudge, my wallet will never be the same :)

IMG_0245.png

• Thumbsup 1

7 hours ago, Death Sprockett said:

...my wallet will never be the same :)

A phone mount is the thin end of the wedge Mr Death. Stick around here and we’ll help you spend a whole lot more 👍🏻 (suspension, seat, screen, ECU flash, exhaust etc etc.)

We all start in awe of the bike and somehow.......the card just keeps getting bashed.

You’re welcome 😂

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...