How is such a great bike so unpopular!?

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, nevada72 said:

That's interesting. Maybe it's a regional thing? The KTMs aren't as common. I'll see them in group rides and events. But the S1000XR I see quite a bit. 

I think as a category they really make sense. Not an adventure bike. Not a sport bike. Kind of a blend of both. Which I think works because how many adventure bikes really go on an adventure? And how many sport bikes actually see the track?

I'm sure it is regional. I see plenty of BMWs around here, but of the newer models the ones I see most are R1250GS, R1250RT, and S1000RR. The RR seems to be really popular around here, which makes it strange that I never see any XRs. This is purely anecdotal of course, but so is this whole thread.

KTMs of all stripes are pretty popular here. Someone down my street rides an RC390 almost daily, and I see various adventure models or Dukes out and about. Our friend's daughter races a KTM dirt bike of some sort. 450 I think? 

Yamaha seems to like Oregon... they held the North America press intros for both the Tracer 900/GT and Star Venture here, and I often recognize local roads/landmarks in website action shots. I suspect they use a PR agency based in Portland. 

7 hours ago, nevada72 said:

That's interesting. Maybe it's a regional thing? The KTMs aren't as common. I'll see them in group rides and events. But the S1000XR I see quite a bit. 

I think as a category they really make sense. Not an adventure bike. Not a sport bike. Kind of a blend of both. Which I think works because how many adventure bikes really go on an adventure? And how many sport bikes actually see the track?

This is my thinking.  ADV bikes are really common here (KTM, and the Beemer and triumph entries in the space, with some vstroms too) but I always wonder: how many of them actually see dirt?

I knew I wasn't planning on dirt riding at all, so extra ground clearance and such wasn't useful to me, and the sportiness of the Tracer was way better than useless offroad capability.  

Meanwhile, the annual group ride I do is full of pure sport bikes and riders who cry about sore backs and wrists.  None got ahead of me on the MT07(which itself was way more comfortable than 600 and 1000 class sport bikes), and they certainly won't on the Tracer.

I have got "grandpa bike" comments - which are usually directed at the "Klim wearing 1200GS/Tiger riders" - but imho the Tracer is a purely practical machine while still being very sport-capable.  

• Thumbsup 1

I saw something surprising in a Tracer GT review in July 2018 (bike-urious.com).  The article says according to the Motorcycle Industry Council the FJ-09 was the second best selling 2 wheel sport tourer for the last 12 months.  I also noticed yesterday that my local dealer had sold their 2020 Tracer GT.  

• Premium Member
59 minutes ago, bps said:

I saw something surprising in a Tracer GT review in July 2018 (bike-urious.com).  The article says according to the Motorcycle Industry Council the FJ-09 was the second best selling 2 wheel sport tourer for the last 12 months.  I also noticed yesterday that my local dealer had sold their 2020 Tracer GT.  

Interesting. Although "sport tourer" is a pretty small category in North America. And these industry designations can be arbitrary. Does the MIC consider the FJR1300 a "sport tourer" or a "tourer?"  

2 hours ago, keithu said:

Interesting. Although "sport tourer" is a pretty small category in North America. And these industry designations can be arbitrary. Does the MIC consider the FJR1300 a "sport tourer" or a "tourer?"  

Interesting indeed!   Some years ago when looking for a replacement for my then BMW R1200 R I was attracted by Yamaha's then-definition of the FJR (at that time with a 5-speed gearbox) as its 'Performance Tourer'.   Shaft drive 'n' all of course, and maybe at that time with a 1200cc motor.... a short test-ride showed it to be very nice and smooth, powerful enough, but a bit too porky for me.   I though the 'Performance Tourer' monniker was a good one.

• Thumbsup 1

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.