• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 4 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

How is such a great bike so unpopular!?

I have had mine almost 3 years and only seen a handful in that time. By contrast, the 1200GS is the best selling bike in South Africa and I'm sure that like most SUVs, a lot never see dirt.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, betoney said:

Yes, the fact that they planned a vacation around, and traveled to a different continent to experience this 'cultural phenomenon' was so interesting to me.  To Harley's credit, irrelevant of their product, they have managed to capture the attention (and $$$) of ordinary people (non-riders) on every corner of the planet, equally engrained in modern culture as Coca Cola or Star Wars.

There is big money in Tee-shirt and life style crap! All HD has to do every year is change the color and add more skulls to the line, not much different than they do with there bikes.

• Thumbsup 1

He who dies with the most toys wins.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, roadrash83 said:

There is big money in Tee-shirt and life style crap! All HD has to do every year is change the color and add more skulls to the line, not much different than they do with there bikes.

They've been doing a lot more than updating graphics but still in the end product appears similar, which is their goal unfortunately for them.  T-shirt sales will not keep their doors open, especially with the ramifications of this pandemic 

There's only a few in the nashville area and I rarely see one. With that said, I've converted a few people.... My dad recently bought a red 2016 I think it was and one of my regular riding buddies is looking at picking up a gray one in the coming weeks! Otherwise I've only ever seen FJs around the dragon in east tennessee or north georgia

• Premium Member
15 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

They've been doing a lot more than updating graphics but still in the end product appears similar, which is their goal unfortunately for them.  T-shirt sales will not keep their doors open, especially with the ramifications of this pandemic 

Hopefully the competition from Indian will light a fire under H-D to do more meaningful updates. The last issue of "Rider" had a comparison between the Road Glide bagger and the Indian Challenger. The Indian basically mopped the floor with the Road Glide, mainly due to vastly superior engine performance. The "bagger" category is pretty important for both companies; even BMW and Yamaha have gotten into the bagger segment. 

Many Harley folks are intensely brand loyal, and they often mock Indian as being a fake or copycat brand from a "snowmobile company." Still, for the folks who swear they'll only buy American Indian is a viable option. The Power Plus motor seems to be way superior to anything Harley makes, so maybe this will help their R&D get off their asses.   

• Thumbsup 1

I think it comes down to non-existent marketing. The FJ09 is exactly the bike I was looking for, but didn't know existed. I wanted a lighter, faster version of my BMW GS. One that dispensed with the off-road aspect of the big Beemer, which I found to be pretty much useless save for the occasional fire road. With only two expensive options - S1000XR and Super Duke GT, I decided was going to compromise and find a nice FZ1, despite it being a little tight for me (I'm 6-5). Somewhere along the line, I can't for the life of me recall where, I became aware of the FJ09. Basically a Yamaha version of the 2 high dollar Euro bikes. Yeah, yeah.....they certainly out perform the FJ09. But I will say, when I ride with friends that have those, it's not like they have to pull over and have a smoke waiting for me. Anyway, I was elated to find out about the FJ09 and bought one. No regrets.

On the matte color - I love it. I think it's an awesome looking bike. I wouldn't change a thing. And Harley has made a lot of money on what they call Denim paint. I would know because I have a Street Glide with Denim paint. It's very low maintenance vs gloss paint.

On scarcity - I was surprised to see a guy filling up at my local gas station with one just like mine. I had never seen him around before, but we chatted and he's local. And I was sitting in a Jimmy Johns in the middle of nowhere Nebraska and some kid rolled up on one just like mine while I was eating. I didn't want to bore him with the blah blah blah of some old guy that has the same bike so I just said "nice bike" and went on my way.

In the end I like having something that not everyone else has. Kind of an exclusive club but with a low entry price.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, nevada72 said:

I think it comes down to non-existent marketing.

Exactly right!   That could almost be my story too, even down to the moving-on from the BMW GS LC.

Edited by wordsmith
  • Thumbsup 2

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, nevada72 said:

In the end I like having something that not everyone else has. Kind of an exclusive club but with a low entry price.

I agree, I like having a bike that is not extremely common. I found it while watching YouTube bike reviews. I have always ridden Yamaha. Started out with a YZ80, BW80, IT200, VISION, FZ6R and finally the FJ09. With a sprinkling of other makes. So far my favorite bike!

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

100% agree, unless you have cash and can glom a fully loaded used XR for less than 9k like a buddy of mine.  Most of my buds are semi or fully retired and have discretionary funds that permit this.  I was not flush so I got a fastest red 15 FJ new in 16 on credit and now own it.  Had them install the heated grips and was able to include the Givi tour shield and case guards, fenda extenda, rear SA spools, Shad top box brackets (already had a spare QD plate fro my two SH46 top boxes) and Shad SH36 panniers and mounts in the invoice, picked them as they came in and installed it all myself.  So while the buy in was low compared to a new XR (which frankly other than the semi-active suspension and up-down shifter, I didn't want the extra cylinder and was afraid of what I'd do to myself with 143 HP), my FJ has absorbed a lot of my money and time (which will never be recovered IF I ever sell it).  As I added the slipper clutch and cruise control, fully adjustable suspension front and rear, and did all the usual stuff like an ECU flash, bigger rotors, Spiegler lines, radial front master cylinder and HH+ pads, APE CCT, added horn, all LED lighting, headlight modulator, 5V outlets and coaxial and SAE power jacks, cell, radar and GPS heads up display mounting with hard wire power, TPS adjustment,  front axle sliders, custom Sargent saddle, LP drain plug and SW-Mototech skid plate, tank filler mount tank bag, grip puppies, I'm on my third handlebar which I'm still tweaking.  There's more but my brain is puss today. The XR and FJ are more alike than the Multistrada, it's just not as fast as stated above.  But they are all couch rockets, which this ole bod has evolved to need.  Still have my VTR and RD for fun putts but for long days in the saddle the FJ holds it own with similar ilk.

Never had matte finish bikes or helmets.  The fender on the FJ is as close as I can figure your paint is like.

Picks are from Sunday up in Cheesehead Land, north of Palmyra up past Waterville Road and the Kettle Moraine Drive.  The lake in Palmra is in the distance across from the BP station with their 91 octane E0.  Typically I tell She Who Must Be Obeyed I'm going out to get a newspaper and some cheese.  I don't mention it'll be the Oconomowoc Enterprise that is out weekly.

20200426_171626.jpg

20200426_192420.jpg

• Thumbsup 4
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

100% agree, unless you have cash and can glom a fully loaded used XR for less than 9k like a buddy of mine.  Most of my buds are semi or fully retired and have discretionary funds that permit this.  I was not flush so I got a fastest red 15 FJ new in 16 on credit and now own it.  Had them install the heated grips and was able to include the Givi tour shield and case guards, fenda extenda, rear SA spools, Shad top box brackets (already had a spare QD plate fro my two SH46 top boxes) and Shad SH36 panniers and mounts in the invoice, picked them as they came in and installed it all myself.  So while the buy in was low compared to a new XR (which frankly other than the semi-active suspension and up-down shifter, I didn't want the extra cylinder and was afraid of what I'd do to myself with 143 HP), my FJ has absorbed a lot of my money and time (which will never be recovered IF I ever sell it).  As I added the slipper clutch and cruise control, fully adjustable suspension front and rear, and did all the usual stuff like an ECU flash, bigger rotors, Spiegler lines, radial front master cylinder and HH+ pads, APE CCT, added horn, all LED lighting, headlight modulator, 5V outlets and coaxial and SAE power jacks, cell, radar and GPS heads up display mounting with hard wire power, TPS adjustment,  front axle sliders, custom Sargent saddle, LP drain plug and SW-Mototech skid plate, tank filler mount tank bag, grip puppies, I'm on my third handlebar which I'm still tweaking.  There's more but my brain is puss today. The XR and FJ are more alike than the Multistrada, it's just not as fast as stated above.  But they are all couch rockets, which this ole bod has evolved to need.  Still have my VTR and RD for fun putts but for long days in the saddle the FJ holds it own with similar ilk.

Never had matte finish bikes or helmets.  The fender on the FJ is as close as I can figure your paint is like.

Picks are from Sunday up in Cheesehead Land, north of Palmyra up past Waterville Road and the Kettle Moraine Drive.  The lake in Palmra is in the distance across from the BP station with their 91 octane E0.  Typically I tell She Who Must Be Obeyed I'm going out to get a newspaper and some cheese.  I don't mention it'll be the Oconomowoc Enterprise that is out weekly.

20200426_171626.jpg

20200426_192420.jpg

Wow! You really added to the stock bike! I've done very little to mine by comparison  -  tall Puig shield, Terry Adcox seat mod, Renthal bars, LED turn signals, fender eliminator, SW-Motech rack, and now working on my own hardcase system. 

I could buy the XR or SDGT, but domestic bliss would be unsettled. Admittedly, I have a bit of a bike problem with 4 others in the garage. My low mile FJ09 came up on Craigslist at a price that I could not ignore - about half of your friends great deal on the XR. Had to pull out the old "If I don't pay the bills because I'm spending too much on bikes, then you have something to say. Until then..." which, of course, went over very well :D.

On the finish - hard to describe. It's very smooth and feels slippery. But it's more like a satin than a flat. I got it on my Street Glide because the bike prior was gloss black and I was that fool always wiping his Harley off at the gas station. Mainly because it looked so bad within 10 miles of washing it. The matte finish doesn't show dirt as quickly. I like it quite a bit, but it's not for everyone.

On the ride - you were right in my backyard. I live on the eastern fringe of the Kettle Moraine and ride where you were quite often. Prior to C19 I liked to stop at the Country Store in La Grange for a sandwich and beverage. Many great roads around there - H, E, G, C, N, Z, ZZ, Bluff, Scout, among so many others. I can't even count how many times I've been on Waterville. You probably recognize this landmark from times you have chosen to get cheese from a bit farther north - 

IMG_5393.JPG

On 4/28/2020 at 12:38 PM, nevada72 said:

I think it comes down to non-existent marketing.

Yamaha are at times their own worst enemy.   I'm currently interested in another 900 GT.   Looking at the (Oz) Yamaha website they refer to two colour options for 2020 models - Icon Black and Tech  Black.   One has the now-familiar 'blurple' wheels and a 'blurple' flash on the tank, with silver fairing and side panels: the other has black wheels while the side fairing panels and rear panels and tank flash are in a kind-of Tomato Red.   I rather like it for something different.

But which is Icon Black and and which Tech Black?   Could be very confusing - in fact, is!   But the current Yamaha website here has no pix of the Tomato version, just the 'blurple' bike (which was my last GT, and which I still like).

Next comes dealer support.   Not one of many local dealers (up to 100km from me) has the Tomato version in stock, nor judging by the response have they even seen one in the flesh.   This is hardly encouraging and can only result in lost sales when tyre-kickers or even serious buyers like me come in to browse and have nothing new to see.   Colour me cynical. 

New 2020 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT Motorcycles in Sandpoint, ID | Stock ...Yamaha Tracer 900GT Review | Motorcycle Test | MCNews.com.au

Edited by wordsmith
  • Thumbsup 2

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

I can't help with color names, but I *really* like the Tomato Red in person.  A lot.  At the local motorcycle show this January, I was sitting on one, and fell in love.  I feel the photos of it make the red look "orangey-er" than it is in person, and it's got this awesome metallic sparkle to it.  The red accents on the tank and seat tie it in nicely.   

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, roadrash83 said:

@Wintersdark Your a better man than me, because cause I just wanted to puke when I saw it at the N.Y. bike show.

Yeah, my dealer had one on the showroom when they were released at the first of the year and it was definitely dark orange, The sales guy and I were looking it over and he commented several times about the new color, how he wished it was deeper red.

I wasn't sold on the 2019 Blurple and silver at first but now I really like those colors together.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***