How is such a great bike so unpopular!?

On 5/10/2020 at 1:12 AM, nicksta43 said:

I'm afraid that what we have is an old man's bike 🙄

I'm a whole 3 prescriptions and one knee replacement away from a hi-viz aerostich.
My wife calls it an uncle bike.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 4

• Premium Member
21 minutes ago, kilo3 said:

I'm a whole 3 prescriptions and one knee replacement away from a hi-viz aerostich.
My wife calls it an uncle bike.

Couldn't help myself from creating the visual when you said, " one knee replacement away from a hi-viz aerostich"...

Screen Shot 2020-05-11 at 8.25.16 AM.png

• Haha 6

• Supporting Member
10 hours ago, keithu said:

Here is Saturday's scenic route to the Yamaha dealer.

20200509.png

I love riding that whole area, Highways 20, 22 and 126 going to Sisters, including McKenzie Pass are all amazing.👍

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
13 hours ago, betoney said:

I love riding that whole area, Highways 20, 22 and 126 going to Sisters, including McKenzie Pass are all amazing.👍

That's what I love about the PNW. Wherever you live there are excellent roads in your back yard. 

• Like 1

I feel like I've seen a decent number of FJ-09s around Philly area.  I've only seen a single GT out and about though (maybe it was roadrash83 heh).  I think every US color option since the 2019 redesign for both the GT and non-GT models has been pretty unappealing though - that surely hasn't been doing them any favors.  The color they should have sold here is the matte blue, it's so much more classy looking.

• Thumbsup 1

I think it's a category thing, not something specific about the FJ/Tracer.  Versys 1000 owners lament the same thing.  I don't quite understand it as these bikes are very versatile.   I do think the lack of access to test rides is an issue.  Dealers in my area won't let you ride a new bike but will let you take a used bike for a test ride.  BMW, Triumph, Ducati etc do benefit from this.  My last two bikes were a Vstrom 650 and a Honda ST1300.  I rarely saw many of either of those, even though Vstroms are relatively popular.  Adventure bikes seem to do a little better overall than sport tourers.  When I was on my ST1300 I would see some FJR's and a few Concours, but still not many.  And many wouldn't buy an FJR/Concours/ST due to weight.  The FJ/Tracer fixes that but they are still not in my opinion optimal for two up.  As my wife doesn't ride anymore the Tracer suits me just fine.

FJ/Tracer is still a new bike so you won't see as many as models that have been out longer.  I just bought a used 2019 Tracer GT less than two weeks ago.  I was planning to look at it as soon as I saw it but the owner texted me a few hours before I was supposed to see it and said it was sold.  He texted me the next day that the buyer had backed out so I bought it.  He had 5 more people lined up to look at it after me if I didn't buy it.  Many dealers around here don't even stock one and those that do have one in stock.  Can't blame them as that reflects the market.  

I agree with @bps about the category thing. My local shop sat on a 2016 fj for 2 years and currently has a 18 tracer new old stock for a wicked price (9200CAD). That same bike was 12k last year when i picked up my gt, likely would have got it instead of the gt for the 5k price difference. Shops, at least locally,  still push the big adv and touring bikes, better markup i assume. And since my local is also a ktm dealer you can guess which bikes they push more.

• Supporting Member
On 5/13/2020 at 6:44 PM, stevesweetz said:

I feel like I've seen a decent number of FJ-09s around Philly area.  I've only seen a single GT out and about though (maybe it was roadrash83 heh).  I think every US color option since the 2019 redesign for both the GT and non-GT models has been pretty unappealing though - that surely hasn't been doing them any favors.  The color they should have sold here is the matte blue, it's so much more classy looking.

it just might have been! I spotted one of the elusive GT a few weeks back sitting in a parking lot of a state park. That poor bike had been down more times, than a $5.00 "Ho"😢

• Thumbsup 1

He who dies with the most toys wins.

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, nevada72 said:

I don't know.....the BMW XR and the KTM SD GT are pretty popular bikes. 

Not around here. My Yamaha dealer is also a KTM dealer and they have had a couple SD GTs through their showroom, but a tiny fraction compared to the FJ/Tracer. I think I've seen one SD in the wild, and I don't think I've ever seen a S1000XR.

• Thumbsup 1

I haven't read the thread before, but just looked at the title.  And laughed. :D

This is the bike that created a niche that all the other manufacturers are trying to catch up to.  This is the bike that will be in every comparison review.  It's the standard by which all others will be judged.

And you have to ask why such a great bike is unpopular?

Chris

3 hours ago, daboo said:

And you have to ask why such a great bike is unpopular?

Chris

Simple fact is, Chris - here Down Under at least, it simply doesn't sell!   I could count on the fingers of one foot how many Tracers I have seen on the road - and even fewer GTs.   H-Ds by the score, GS's by the dozen, MT-09s by the ambulance-full, but Tracers: what Tracers...? 

Which baffles me as it represents such great value down here, with hard panniers included, and even with price rises since the bike was first launched in 2015 (?) still very affordable, currently <AUD$20K on-road.   But most motorcyclists don't usually concern themselves with value, it's the riding experience that counts, and IMHO there too the CP3 range is unbeatable.   Colour me very perplexed!

Edited by wordsmith

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member

Since I bought my fastest Red 15 new in July 2016, other than in a stealership, I've seen exactly 1 other FJ-09/Tracer/GT, just one on the road!!  And only maybe two total FZ/XSR.  Also maybe one SD/SDGT, a few FJR, Connies and ST's, appreciably more GS/RT, etc but thousands of Hogs of all types.  It's HD heaven here, and few wear helmets...

8 hours ago, keithu said:

Not around here. My Yamaha dealer is also a KTM dealer and they have had a couple SD GTs through their showroom, but a tiny fraction compared to the FJ/Tracer. I think I've seen one SD in the wild, and I don't think I've ever seen a S1000XR.

That's interesting. Maybe it's a regional thing? The KTMs aren't as common. I'll see them in group rides and events. But the S1000XR I see quite a bit. 

I think as a category they really make sense. Not an adventure bike. Not a sport bike. Kind of a blend of both. Which I think works because how many adventure bikes really go on an adventure? And how many sport bikes actually see the track?

• Thumbsup 1