Seat Slope Mod

6 minutes ago, RandyN said:

Excellent mod. Been meaning to fiddle with that sometime and you probably just saved me some time.

Happy to help! Hope you find it useful as well. Cheers

• Supporting Member

No concern that the taped assembly might come loose and sloppy with movement/time? Not knocking the good idea, but maybe something more solid/permanent wouldn't necessarily add much cost. JB-Weld the stacks and bond them to the plastic tray... or something to that end.

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

38 minutes ago, piotrek said:

No concern that the taped assembly might come loose and sloppy with movement/time? Not knocking the good idea, but maybe something more solid/permanent wouldn't necessarily add much cost. JB-Weld the stacks and bond them to the plastic tray... or something to that end.

Yup. You’re right. This was just a concept trial and see if it works. I’m having a friend make up a more permanent solution. Until then I’ll keep an eye on my diy fix. 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for posting this. I installed a Bagster seat on my Tracer which took out most of the slope but there is still a smidge left. I was going to try something like this but maybe with pieces of rubber heater hose from under the plastic adjuster. I did that on one of my other bikes and it worked. 

• Thumbsup 1

2019 Tracer 900 GT. 2022 MT-09SP. 2002 Buell S3T Thunderbolt. 2016 FJ-09 SOLD. 2019 XSR900 SOLD.

• Supporting Member

Sweet!  I have a bit of play in my seat (high position) as well, but hadn't got to it yet.  Great idea, and glad to know it can be done.  Now where's my Gorilla tape.

• Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• 2 weeks later...

Heeeeey, interesting, and another (fairly) local guy too!

I've always wanted to reduce the slope, and ride with my seat in the upper position as well anyways.  I'm gonna go out and give this a look right now, see how it goes.  Higher seat and less slope is all good for me!

• Thumbsup 1

Nice work, Wintersdark!! 

yup. You’re not far away. We actually just drove down to Canmore and unloaded the bikes from the van for a rip around Banff. Tomorrow a ride to radium or so and then load up and head home. 

55BFACDF-C044-49B7-B9D0-D4B1A8337E1C.jpeg

Edited by smurph
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

Nice!  I actually planned a ride out to Canmore today along 1A (windy old Highway parallel to the TransCanada - great for grinding pegs!) but sadly ran into a rather severe thunderstorm before I made it out of town.  Jasper tomorrow instead, I think!

Radium is awesome!  I'm very partial to a 850km loop out through Bragg Creek, Fernie, Radium, Canmore, then back to Calgary along 1A.  

Beautiful roads all through there :)

• Thumbsup 1

Yup. It’s a great road. Been using that one for the last 30 years or so and we accidentally took it today as I had a brain fart. Following some new driver who was doing 70 all the way from Cochrane. Ugh. Wish we had been on the bikes instead of In the Sprinter van. 
Crazy weather here lately. At least it’s sunny in BC 😊. Have a great ride tomorrow! We’ll connect in person one day 👍👍

• Thumbsup 1

5 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

Amazing.  This is perfect.

Now, I run my seat in the upper position, so things look a bit different, but this worked great for me.

I went a little further than @smurph.  What I did was removed the tank retaining bolts right there under the seat, lifted it a bit and slid a pair of washers underneat (one per bolt) - this raised the rear of the tank by 2mm.  That same piece, of course, is the piece that has the slots for the seat height adjustment, so this immediately raises the front of the seat by 2mm.  I then put giant 4.25mm fender washers taped to the frame, *under* the plastic seat base that @smurph taped the washers to.  I did this because trying to tape washers to that plastic base (or the seat itself) was difficult: they'd get pushed off when I tried to slide the seat on.  However, when taped to the frame underneath, they simply hold the rubber stops up and are never subjected to lateral stress.  

This made an *enormous* difference, the seat feels completely flat now, and I can move around on it without feeling like I'm going to slide into the tank as soon as I relax.  It's more stable, too, less side to side tippiness. 

By raising the rear of the tank, you can get a lot more adjustment room, but to be honest you don't really need much.  Even the little bit I got it up here makes a tremendous, immediately noticable difference.

20200704_193313.thumb.jpg.cf929159616ec60c5649232b4e81ad23.jpg

Lift the rear of the tank a bit. 

20200704_2.thumb.jpg.c74cda0e13fe1c36e94a01c5efef61e2.jpg

Washers onto the frame.

20200704_195250.thumb.jpg.c81848b4630a0d7d696e10f108b5e537.jpg

And done!

The advantage of going this way is you can still easily change the seat height in the normal way without needing to move spacers around.  If you stick spacers permenantly to the plastic insert, you'd need to move them to still keep the slope when you adjust the seat height.

Just for me so I don't do anything stupid 😉 

How much do those 4.25mm fender washers raise the whole thing? As I don't know that type of washer.