TPMS Systems

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, betoney said:

Yes, the stems work on 90° stems, in fact the website where I bought mine recommend using them on the aluminum stems instead of OEM rubber stems.

When you install the sensor cap it depresses the valve core, so whether the sensor is functioning and reading the pressure or malfunctioned completely the sensor  is still depressing the valve.

Do you have the sensors on the typical 85 degr3e valve stem?  .3'' or 7.5 mm from stem CL may be tough to measure accurately...

• Can this be used on a 90° METAL stems

This model can be used on a 90 degree stems, as long as they are metal. Please note you might have space limitations. The sensors are 1.5 CM (0.6 inch) in diameter. so you will need about half of that (from center of your stems) clearance around the stem.

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Thanks  Which unit do you have and can you buy extra sensors so you can transfer the read out unit between 2 bikes or more?

What are the other ones that are Bluetooth and is it worth bothering with as long as the unit you have flashes brght enough to see it, I know the audible is useless

I bought mine directly from SYKIK - there are a lot of identical looking units out there on Amazon, I thing they just re-badge them.

I specifically have the SRTP300   when I want to use it on my other bike, I just move the display unit to another mount I have and the sensors are like a valve cap, just screw them on the valve stem.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Do you have the sensors on the typical 85 degr3e valve stem?

Yes.  I use the typical aluminum stems on both bikes.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

So I bought the Sykik SRTP300, thanks Brian.

I've come up with a great place I hope to mount it on my T rail that takes my Garmin XT GPS and radar detector, and anything else I can fit on it.

I'm just waiting for some #4-40 Philip head stainless steel screws. I added a adapter plate so the flat surface mounting bracket is deeper to have full bearing on the rail.

I like the flat surface mounting bracket because it readily slides off it's base for security reasons.

It should be tucked away behind the screen protected from weather and wind.

By the way to the left of the Sykik is the mount for my XT  with a weather cover on it I made when I'm not running the GPS.

20221031_115638.jpg

20221031_115814.jpg

20221031_115801.jpg

• Like 1

• Premium Member

In order to check the tire pressure with a gauge and then compare it to the Sykik, say once a week or so, I presume one has to remove the sensors (with the module off), because readings don't appear for a few minutes once you're rolling?

Presumably the tire pressure drops a pound or two when the sensor is removed (and installed?), so the amount lost has to be then added back before the sensor is reinstalled. No?

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

In order to check the tire pressure with a gauge and then compare it to the Sykik, say once a week or so, I presume one has to remove the sensors (with the module off), because readings don't appear for a few minutes once you're rolling?

Presumably the tire pressure drops a pound or two when the sensor is removed (and installed?), so the amount lost has to be then added back before the sensor is reinstalled. No?

Before a ride, I will remove the sensors and set the air pressure with a digital gauge and then use the TPMS to monitor the pressure ie. a drop in pressure indicating a puncture.

You can set high and low pressure alarms and the main screen will flash red if those values are exceeded, you'll have to rely on the flashing screen as the audible beep for the alarm would be impossible to hear while riding. 

When removing and reinstalling the sensor caps, you will lose a little bit of air but I doubt it could be a full pound unless you are screwing them on and off very slowly allowing a lot of air to escape.  If its a concern, air the tires up with an additional .5 psi before reinstalling the sensor caps.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, betoney said:

Before a ride, I will remove the sensors and set the air pressure with a digital gauge and then use the TPMS to monitor the pressure ie. a drop in pressure indicating a puncture.

I take it you don't ride daily. :) Doing that every morning at 6:30 AM would be too much for me. I commute daily and check the pressures visually every time I ride and if I have a concern, I fire up my app which does not require the bike to be moving. If it is a couple of pounds off from 36/42 and there is no puncture, I fill up next time it's convenient. and measure the pressure using a proper digital gauge. I add a tad extra to account for any transient loss as I reinstall the sensor.

• Thumbsup 1

Regards, Grumpy Goat | 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT & 2016 BMW R1200RS

• Premium Member

As I said above "compare it to the Sykik, say once a week or so", as one should do so regardless.  Trust in electronic devices is a rampant problem when convenience devices are relied on for your life.

I can say one word to amplify this...

Tesla

Getting to "know" how your particular unit operates is what you related GG 🐐

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, Grumpy Goat said:

I take it you don't ride daily. :) Doing that every morning at 6:30 AM would be too much for me. I commute daily and check the pressures visually every time I ride and if I have a concern, 

Correct, no commuting, I only ride for recreation on my days off. 👍🏻

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

When I commuted everyday in some of the worst traffic in the country tire maintenance was very important because of the potholes. Bent rims can be a big issue, that's why the psychic should be able to tell me immediately when I get a leak.

Relying on an app other than GPS while riding is great but you have to have your phone displayed.

GG Does your app have Bluetooth connection?  And can notify you through your headset?

4 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Relying on an app other than GPS while riding is great but you have to have your phone displayed.

GG Does your app have Bluetooth connection?  And can notify you through your headset?

Yes, the app is Bluetooth, and you do have to have it on and running in the background, i.e. the screen can go off with it still running. And yes, it does make an awful alarm sound in your headset if you have a sudden pressure loss, or a low pressure below your set threshold, or if you remove the sensor (same as a rapid pressure loss). You will hear it over your music (or anything else you have going on in there). The weakness is remembering to turn it on, although turning it on while riding is not difficult if you have touch sensitive gloves.

• Thumbsup 1

I'll weigh in.... I've had a few of the Chinese ones like Sykik, pretty much now they are all similar.  Had one leak at the (very thin) O-ring gasket around the display.... Still have one on the VFR but it has a hood.  They all work within a pound or two, sensors go to sleep when not riding.  Not sure if they do on the bluetooth one Grumpy Goat has... if you can check pressures instantly without waking the sensors and waiting...... bonus.

A very good bluetooth one is Fobo, U$99, and the sensors are always active.  One of the best out there.  You'll spend that much eventually with some of these Chinese ones once you replace them down the road..... Fobo batteries go for a full year, but I put fresh ones in mine every spring anyway.

I have a Rupse on the Versys, basically the same one as sold on tpms.ca for a whole lot less money.  Had one in the past, lasted for years.  Good unit, but you won't find it now (proprietary to tpms.ca).  Sensors sleep on it too, have to wake them up to get a reading.

To fix your losing air...... get t-stems either from tpms.ca or Fobo.  Sensor goes on one, you add air in the other and never need to remove a sensor.  We needed a t-stem on the FJR so the sensor sits up in between the brake rotors, otherwise with a 90 degree stem, they'd get hit and break off.

3 hours ago, RaYzerman said:

...sensors go to sleep when not riding.  Not sure if they do on the bluetooth one Grumpy Goat has... if you can check pressures instantly without waking the sensors and waiting...... bonus.

A very good bluetooth one is Fobo, U$99, and the sensors are always active.  One of the best out there.  You'll spend that much eventually with some of these Chinese ones once you replace them down the road..... Fobo batteries go for a full year, but I put fresh ones in mine every spring anyway.

I have the Fobo system. I don't know if the sensors are always active or if they go to sleep when the bike is stationary, but when parked and I fire up the app it takes maybe 30 seconds for the pressures to show up. Faster if you are standing next to the bike. No complaints from me on this kit. Changed one of the batteries so far but the other one is still good after 14 months and counting.