• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 41 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

TPMS Systems

13 hours ago, RaYzerman said:

A very good bluetooth one is Fobo

I see Fobo sell a selection of stems. I understand why the T-stem might be useful as that makes life a little easier when adjusting the pressure, but why do they sell the short single valve stems?

Is that because the extra weight of the monitor stresses the regular rubber stems that are normally installed on the wheel?

I guess asking this another way. Do I just replace the dust caps on my current stems with the Fobo caps and it's all ready to go or are special stems needed/recommended?

Edited by ZigMerid

10 hours ago, ZigMerid said:

I guess asking this another way. Do I just replace the dust caps on my current stems with the Fobo caps and it's all ready to go or are special stems needed/recommended?

I simply took off the dust caps and screwed on the sensors to my standard stems. The steel stems are recommended, I guess, but I thought I'd try them with the standard rubber stems first and see if there was any issue. None after 14 months and counting. I'm happy with that.

A separate discussion could be had on the physics of the forces on the stems and whether steel is "better", but I have not got the time to start this here. :)

• Thanks 1

Regards, Grumpy Goat | 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT & 2016 BMW R1200RS

• Supporting Member
11 hours ago, ZigMerid said:

16 minutes ago, Grumpy Goat said:

I simply took off the dust caps and screwed on the sensors to my standard stems. The steel stems are recommended, I guess, but I thought I'd try them with the standard rubber stems first and see if there was any issue. None after 14 months and counting. I'm happy with that.

As @Grumpy Goatstated, the metal stems are "recommended" but the standard oem rubber stems apparently work just fine with no issues. 

I have always used the right angle metal stems for ease of access while airing up the tires so I have no experience with using the rubber stems.

• Thanks 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

13 hours ago, ZigMerid said:

I see Fobo sell a selection of stems. I understand why the T-stem might be useful as that makes life a little easier when adjusting the pressure, but why do they sell the short single valve stems?

Is that because the extra weight of the monitor stresses the regular rubber stems that are normally installed on the wheel?

I have the T-stems, and I love them. I only have to remove the sensors to change the battery. I can check air pressure with or top off a tire any time. 

• Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, draco_1967 said:

I have the T-stems, and I love them. I only have to remove the sensors to change the battery. I can check air pressure with or top off a tire any time. 

I also installed the T-stems when I changed the tire. You wind up using more weights to balance your tires since they are heavier. Along with being more convenient, I didn't like the idea of removing and reinstalling the caps every time I needed to top off with air. Probably not an issue but just seemed like it might be putting unnecessary wear and tear on the sensor. The app also gives tire temperature so you know when your tires are warmed up.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Grumpy Goat said:

the steel stems are recommended, I guess

6 hours ago, betoney said:

As @Grumpy Goatstated, the metal stems are "recommended"

27 minutes ago, RaYzerman said:

Rubber stems if really short will be OK for a while, but there is a point where they will likely fail

Thanks all who replied. While it's clear the steel stems are recommended as presumably being more robust than stock, there doesn't seem to be anyone saying they've experienced any actually failures.

The main disadvantage of steel stems is that you have to wait until a tire change to install them. Having said that, I'll probably end up getting some as it seems like pretty cheap insurance and they look nice enough as well 🙂

The other disadvantage is if you use their "security feature" (which appears to be just an odd-ball locking nut) then you have additional hassle when adjusting the pressure. I normally do this at home with a little electric pump, so no big deal for me.

I'm a bit torn about the T-stem. The convenience is obvious but I'm not sure I like the idea of adding that sort of unbalanced weight to a wheel. Realistically unlikely to be a big deal considering wheels are hardly perfect and the combined weight of wheel + tire is a heck of a lot in comparison to a stem which is closer to the center of mass than most of the rest of the spinning bits anyway.

One big advantage of the T-stem is that you can use the anti-theft feature of the Fobo without any inconvenience. But theft isn't an issue in my situation.

Anyway, good discussion. I've learnt a few things and tire pressure is something I always worry about when I'm riding. Pretty critical for us two-wheelers.

Edited by ZigMerid
  • Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
On 11/1/2022 at 11:18 AM, 2and3cylinders said:

By the way to the left of the Sykik is the mount for my XT  with a weather cover on it I made when I'm not running the GPS.

I'm sure that's functional 2plus3 but have you considered a 3D printed cover?  I made one (not my design) and it snaps into place utilising the existing latch to cover the electrics and looks neat/tidy as if it belongs there.

Cheap & cheerful solution that protects.

If interested -  https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4546658

1351966331_3DcoverforXT3.thumb.jpg.bae62e8ac855336fc4634ecf83803a0d.jpg

247809210_3DcoverforXT.thumb.jpg.b957e2b5727dc45ddc377969e3b84e8f.jpg

1980377117_3DcoverforXT2.thumb.jpg.d73d9c981fa47c7cfabd5b5f9229832f.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Thanks Daz but I don't don't need no stinkin 3D printer.  I'm very old school and almost completely analog.  No MySpace, Facebook, Twitter, TicToc, whatever LOL

I was a tool and die guy, pre-CNC, all handwork, bending sheet metal, casting aluminum, machining X&Y by hand, welding, thermoforming, explosion forming, extrusion, pultrusion, etc..  I see it in my head, make templates and go.

My closed-cell urethane foam cover hides what it is and protects the entire assembly from UV & IR, wind, rain and nicks.  Took me 15 minutes to fabricate once I had it figured out.

I have a dozens of custom bits on each of my bikes.

Keeps me sane; sort of.  It's people like me who you read about going off the deep end and the "grid", ready for a dystopian future.  

Ha!  No problem.  Whatever works for the individual works for me. 🙂

We don't need no stinking badges 3D printer. - Echoes from and a reference to the 1948 movie -"The Treasure of the Sierra Madre" I'm assuming? Love it. 🤣

And I can imagine you surviving in a dystopian future.  However, we don't need no stinkin dystopia 😉 👍

5 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

I'm very old school

So why are you hanging out in a Tracer forum and talking about BT TPMS systems? Both are very new school.

I get you felt a need to say something, but it's not really congruent with this forum nor your past posts. What are you actually trying to say that's relevant to the rest of us?

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, ZigMerid said:

So why are you hanging out in a Tracer forum and talking about BT TPMS systems? Both are very new school.

I get you felt a need to say something, but it's not really congruent with this forum nor your past posts. What are you actually trying to say that's relevant to the rest of us?

I have mentioned before that people today are far too dependent on technology, especially their smart phones, and feel a dire need to be connected by social media.

I use my cell for business and to stay connected to my wife and children in the crazy world.  Mobile email and internet is also a boon to business but definitely has its major drawbacks.   People expect you to be available 24/7 and on top of the news, however incidental and insignificant. I enjoy the internet also for info and news but almost totally as it relates to work, motorcycles and my very few other interests.  Otherwise I'm perfectly happy with my own thoughts and need very little social interaction except with my immediate family.

The FJ is not only my first and only FI bike but also with ABS and TC.

I embraced all 3 features only for safety reasons, as I have radar detectors, GPS, BT, ATGATT (long before it was a thing from my experiences in my youth racing), hard glove palm sliders, and most recently, an airbag vest (albeit old school lanyard activated).

It recently dawned on me from this forums discussion that a TPMS would be a very good added safety feature.  The next logical step would be having it notify me via BT.  The TPMS in my car is my first and not very good, which is also only my 2nd cage with FI, ABS and airbags (no AWD, stability / TC, BT, GPS, etc)..

As I've already bought the Sykik SRTP300, I'll try it on my FJ and then maybe put it on one of my other totally analog bikes (though 2 do have electronic ignition).  Then I may try the FOBO with BT.

Reliability and performance is another reason I enjoin new  technology, as I still, though now less often, feel the need for speed.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, ZigMerid said:

t torn about the T-stem. The convenience is obvious but I'm not sure I like the idea of adding that sort of unbalanced weight to a wheel. Realistically unlikely to be a big deal considering wheels are hardly perfect and the combined weight of wheel + tire is a heck of a lot in comparison to a stem which is closer to the center of mass than most of the rest of the spinning bits anyway.

When I installed the T-stems, I balanced the wheel without the tire. So far, I haven't needed to add weight to my wheels when changing tires. I think only one tire I have put on in the last 6-7 years has had a paint dot on it for the light or heavy spot.

• Thanks 1

• Supporting Member

Sooo.... coming clean with some thoughts about the NEWekey TPMS:

• Hard to read on sunny days. The casing is very reflective.
  • Display alternates between pressure and temperature. Annoying.
  • Valve stem sensors are physically larger, and each weigh 1g heavier.
  • Takes a good 100+ metres of motion for sensors to report.

I missed the ability to quickly check my pressures pre-ride. The Sykik updates reliably within just a couple of wheel revolutions. Easy to do while on center stand. I bought the Sykik again... modded it for 12V and re-sealed it.

Sold the NEWekey for cheap to a fellow rider. Really hope this is the end of it for a long while.

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif