Flashed ECU Check Engine Light

Vacant Planets

2 hours ago, iitywygms said:

Not that I am offering any help but why would it be normal to have a check engine light come on?  My 2019 California bike (extra smog crap) was flashed by Ivan and I never had a check engine light come on. 

Ivan may have different software that allows him to make those adjustments to prevent throwing the code and/or his flash service is just that much more involved/fine tuned with more work put into it compared to 2WDW. (I'm no tech guy). So maybe 2WDW can chime in as to why that's the case?

I do know however, that the tune from Ivan is $50-100 more than 2WDW...whether it's a shortfall, limitation of software availability that 2WDW have/doesn't have or they just run a more basic tune which is why they charge less for their tune. 

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
7 hours ago, taylormade21 said:

After receiving and installing my flashed ECU from 2WDW, the engine light came on. After having my local shop clear the codes it hasn't been on since. My local shop guy says it's normal for that to throw codes (unless the flash is done while on the bike). You can take to a shop or dealer for them to remove the codes, or as suggested above getting your own code reader so you can clear the codes yourself. Unplugging and plugging back in wont clear the fault codes.

I wonder if these CEL's are all on 2017 and newer models when the electronics changed?  I had the ECU flashed on my 2015 by 2WDW as did my buddy (he also owns a 2015) and neither of us had CEL's pop up.  I have had mine flashed 3 times, first time was basic flash, 2nd time was to turn on the Active Tune and the 3rd time was for a fuel map for the Scorpion exhaust and no CEL. 🤷‍♀️

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

26 minutes ago, betoney said:

I wonder if these CEL's are all on 2017 and newer models when the electronics changed?  I had the ECU flashed on my 2015 by 2WDW as did my buddy (he also owns a 2015) and neither of us had CEL's pop up.  I have had mine flashed 3 times, first time was basic flash, 2nd time was to turn on the Active Tune and the 3rd time was for a fuel map for the Scorpion exhaust and no CEL. 🤷‍♀️

Very well could be the case. Below is the response from 2WDW.

"The check engine light is often on specifically with the FZ/FJ-09 models only as a side effect of powering up the ECU outside of the bike. Any local shop or dealership can clear the codes for you within seconds through the diagnostic port in the tail of the bike, and then you're good to go! The light won't come back on unless there's actually a problem in the future. Riding the bike with the light on now won't cause any issues whatsoever."

This leads me to believe that it's either due to the new electronics on the newer models, and/or the lack of ability to clear the codes on said ECU while off the bike unless the tuner has the proper software to fix it.

Again, I'm no tech guy and just taking a wild guess...

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
On 9/22/2020 at 7:59 AM, peteinpa said:

It's hard to believe on the newer models that I can't idle the bike on the center stand without setting a code that has to be reset at the dealer. Crazy!

Yeah damnit this just happened to me, washed my bike and was just trying the warm/dry up the chain a bit while idling on the centerstand.....now my check engine light is on. :( 

On 9/21/2020 at 4:49 PM, iitywygms said:

Not that I am offering any help but why would it be normal to have a check engine light come on?  My 2019 California bike (extra smog crap) was flashed by Ivan and I never had a check engine light come on. 

Same here.  Sent my ECU to Ivan and no check engine light.  I think a lot of places just use Woolich or some other available software.  Ivan develops his own software from what I understand.

Edited by johnmark101

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

On 3/21/2021 at 1:53 PM, Ride365 said:

Yeah damnit this just happened to me, washed my bike and was just trying the warm/dry up the chain a bit while idling on the centerstand.....now my check engine light is on. :( 

Hah, me too. Put the Tutoro on it and ran the bike on the center stand to get the oil into the chain. Now: engine light on. 

Future me will turn of the traction control before trying that trick again. 

43 minutes ago, Yamajank said:

So if you turn TC off it won’t give you the check engine light?  

I imagine so. Not the immediate subject of this thread, but relevant to the CEL. If the rear wheel spins and the front does not, the TC system will detect the need for traction control. If you turn off the TC prior to spinning the rear on the center stand, there should be no fault indicated, I would think. I can't actually try that until I get the CEL cleared (going to the dealer next week for first service anyhow, so they can clear it and then I can test the theory and go by an OBD scanner if the theory only works in theory).

Problem is, the the TC turns on by default whenever you start the bike. You have to manually turn it off. Seems obvious to me now but didn't think about it at the time. Nor did I suspect the stupid CEL would come on as a result, but reading through the manual afterwards taught me otherwise. 

• Like 1