600 mile service cost

PowerMalc

I was upset when I called for my 600 mile service that they did not take appointments and that if I left the bike with them they might get to it within 4-7 days. Pissed me off, ridiculous under any circumstances. Told them I would not have bought the bike had I know that. They scheduled me in and got me in/out quickly but the cost was over $300. I talked to another dealer about the same distance from my home, he too doesn't take appointment but will schedule me on a Sat to get me in/out. Says he cant because of lack of techs. 1st service was important due to warranty I felt. I intend to do most of my own service work as I have on all my prior bikes, got all the tools and the skills to use them X shim valves (never bought the shim kit, but may). I feel the dealer I purchased from screwed me because I pitched a bitch.

• Thumbsup 1

Not trying to be downer but I want need to vent. So continue to read at your own risk.

Dropped off bike, got home and called them back and asked them not to do the throttle check. Guy remembered me and said no problem. Go to pick up my bike and they wanted full price. I said no, the throttle was not supposed to be checked. I was told it was already too late by the time I called because the tech had already performed it. That means he got it done within 30 minutes. I think that's BS so I said the labor cost should come down because you told me it was 2-3 hour job. They finally ended up taking 25% off and it still ended up at $461. They also sprayed this crap (SC1 I think) all over my plastic and it looks like shit. He said that's normal and it would go away eventually.

On the ride home after gassing up, I finally put in STD mode to get some aggression and frustration out and I don't know what's up, but this bike does not like freeways. I get minor speed wobbles if I get above 65. I spent most of the 600 break-in on canyons and city streets so this was very surprising to me. It really feels unsafe. I'm wondering if the tires are just horrible from the dealer? My 3 year old, 8000 mileage tires felt about 50 times better than these. They are, in a word, scary. I thought the front was going to go out on a 30 mph on ramp.

I also feel like the windscreen is optimized for blowing people off the bike. At this point, I don't even want to ride this thing. However, tomorrow will be another day and I'm sure things will feel better. I'm going to down a few beers to reset myself.

I probably need to get the suspension at least looked at and setup but this maintenance really set me back. I'm just getting tossed around on bumpy roads. I was planning on getting levers because my clutch hand cramps after 10 minutes. The clutch lever actually sits against the handguard, it's that far out.

If you made it this far, thanks. I toast you with my beer. Keep the rubber side down, ride safe.

James

Edited by jamespz03

Back in January 2019 I took mine to Fun Bike Center (in Kearny Mesa) for the 600 mile. $214 for parts and labor. No throttle body synch was performed, I vaguely recall that I asked about it and they said "that really doesn't need to be done unless there is an indication it is needed."

Usually though I go to a small local shop, Poway Motorcycle. They did the 4000 mile for $211, about the same.

I've been satisfied with both shops actually, no complaints.

21 hours ago, TomTracer said:

I was upset when I called for my 600 mile service that they did not take appointments and that if I left the bike with them they might get to it within 4-7 days. Pissed me off, snippage.

Yah, when I called the dealership where I got mine they told me they could get it in in 3 1/2 weeks...

ended up doing what I do with anything like that w/warranty, took a picture of the odo and all the parts used/receipts.

If you document what you did (at least in my state) they can’t deny warranty...

The Tech who did my first service was the most senior of the 4 they have. I have talked to him a couple of times and he seems sharp and honest. It took 3+ hours and I have a copy of the checklist he went by, and I talked to him when done. So integrity of tech's at this point is not an issue for me, it's the lack of taking appointments and leave the bike until we can get to it crap. Seems to me they get so far behind because they don't schedule. Wonder if Yammy knows this is going on. 

I recently called the dealer for my 600 mile service and they are scheduling about 3 weeks out, and quoting a couple of hours and $315 (including throttle sync, not sure if that's needed).  Ouch - I think I'll do this service myself and document it.  

On 5/6/2021 at 8:31 PM, jamespz03 said:

Not trying to be downer but I want need to vent. So continue to read at your own risk.

Dropped off bike, got home and called them back and asked them not to do the throttle check. Guy remembered me and said no problem. Go to pick up my bike and they wanted full price. I said no, the throttle was not supposed to be checked. I was told it was already too late by the time I called because the tech had already performed it. That means he got it done within 30 minutes. I think that's BS so I said the labor cost should come down because you told me it was 2-3 hour job. They finally ended up taking 25% off and it still ended up at $461. They also sprayed this crap (SC1 I think) all over my plastic and it looks like shit. He said that's normal and it would go away eventually.

On the ride home after gassing up, I finally put in STD mode to get some aggression and frustration out and I don't know what's up, but this bike does not like freeways. I get minor speed wobbles if I get above 65. I spent most of the 600 break-in on canyons and city streets so this was very surprising to me. It really feels unsafe. I'm wondering if the tires are just horrible from the dealer? My 3 year old, 8000 mileage tires felt about 50 times better than these. They are, in a word, scary. I thought the front was going to go out on a 30 mph on ramp.

I also feel like the windscreen is optimized for blowing people off the bike. At this point, I don't even want to ride this thing. However, tomorrow will be another day and I'm sure things will feel better. I'm going to down a few beers to reset myself.

I probably need to get the suspension at least looked at and setup but this maintenance really set me back. I'm just getting tossed around on bumpy roads. I was planning on getting levers because my clutch hand cramps after 10 minutes. The clutch lever actually sits against the handguard, it's that far out.

If you made it this far, thanks. I toast you with my beer. Keep the rubber side down, ride safe.

James

WOW not a good experience!  I've never had speed wobbles at all on mine.  I bought mine a couple of thousand miles from home so by the time I got home had 2,400 miles on it but hadn't done any serious riding in the twists.  First few times out I was very uncomfortable with the front.  Dont know wether to say bad feel or lack of feel but whatever felt like you did.  I dropped the forks 7mm and adjusted the suspension and put a Michelin Pilot Power 5 on the front to go with a Road 5 on the rear.  Now it will go around corners and i have a lot of confidence in the front - took me a while to trust it after the poor start.  Dont know if it is bad tires or what but the high speed wobble seems to happen on too many bikes.  

If your clutch leaver is out that far seems like something is not right - I'm thinking idiots assembled it after chunking the instructions.  Feel your pain on the junk they sprayed all over it.  Had my BMW in for service and one time the dealer did that to it.  Thought they were trying to make a nice gesture but my bike had a matte grey finish.  Dont be spraying that shinny gunk all over my matte finish!!!  

I bought my Tracer GT from Vern Eide Motorplex in Sioux Falls SD - cannot say enough good about that dealer.  My bike was delivered in flawless condition and I have not had any trouble with misadjusted or loose anything!  If I was anywhere close to there I would have them do all my service.  

I'm at 6,000 miles since September and love the bike.  It's not perfect but the suspension is sorted enough that I can go have some fun in the curves and then firm it up and go on a long trip.

• Thumbsup 1

Thanks. I found out my tires were 6psi under inflated (each). The original dealer maxed them out, the first service dealer put them at the low pressure. This makes sense why things got worse after the ride. I unfortunately got taken out by my second covid vaccine and haven't ridden in days to test things out and get close to 1000 so I can put it in A mode and see what happens. It seems I prefer STD mode a lot better than B right now. I plan to buy some adjustable levers because I still have lots of trouble with first gear - I only need to pull it about an inch and it's engaged.

Edited by jamespz03

I had a 2016 BMW F800GT I bought with 4,700 miles on it.  Also bought a 3 year unlimited service contract for $1,500.  In 26 months put 26,000 miles on it.  Had service done by the book and at the proper times.  I added up all the service costs that were on my services and it was $5,000.

14 minutes ago, jamespz03 said:

Did you do it or did you skip the TBS?

I called around to other dealers and got much more reasonable rates $200-300 but ran into the same wait time issues. I'm definitely changing my oil and filter because I crossed 600 this weekend. Looking at the manual the only other things I can't do myself is synch the throttle bodies, and I think check/adjust the valves clearance. And, I'd bet money even the dealer quoting me $500 wouldn't do that anyway unless given a reason like an error code or if I said it was running rough. 

So, plan is oil and thorough inspect on my own, talk to a 3rd party mech that I trust. Possibly take to dealer that's booking (only) two weeks out or said 3rd party mech to check throttle synch and valves.