600 mile service cost

PowerMalc

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, PowerMalc said:

What is the typical cost for the first 600 mile service.

My local dealer has told me £199 or £149 if I had bought the new bike from them

I am in the UK

It cost me about $3 to drive to the dealer for 3 quarts of oil and a filter and I did the work myself, so maybe $45?  I didn't want to pay a technician $90-$100 an hour to check the chain tension, clutch lever free play and tighten any possible loose bolts.  By the time I booked an appointment and took it to the dealer I could have the job finished.

• Thumbsup 6

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Yes, as Betoney suggests, do it yourself and save a good bit of money.  Get three quarts of motorcycle specific oil, a new crush washer and a new oil filter.  The oil change is very easy on this bike.  

• Thumbsup 4

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

1 hour ago, betoney said:

It cost me about $3 to drive to the dealer for 3 quarts of oil and a filter and I did the work myself, so maybe $45?  I didn't want to pay a technician $90-$100 an hour to check the chain tension, clutch lever free play and tighten any possible loose bolts.  By the time I booked an appointment and took it to the dealer I could have the job finished.

I called w/around 400 miles to see how far the dealership was “out”.

Was gonna be almost 3 weeks. 

Welp-made that one a no-brainer.

The 600 mile service was the only time my ‘15 FJR saw the dealership shop floor, I bought it used w/<400 miles late in the season (after wrecking my ‘08)...

• Thumbsup 1

The prices are crazy nowadays on dealer maintenance cost. Yamahas maintenance  schedule wacky. I think they want carb sync at 600mi, What ,not even broke in then? I told the salesman I would do my own work on my own bike .and would probably not see me again unless there was a warranty issue. The triple seems to be a pretty easy format to work on and maintain !

MIKE

Think it was estimated at about $340, I had some scratches on one of the side cases and swapped that for the 1st service.  Bought my bike 1,400 miles from home.  Service price wasn't cheap but they gave me a very good deal and would not have minded a bit more for first service cost.  Particularly when they worked me into their schedule - I got to 600 miles in 3 days :-) then set out on a 1,400 mile ride home.  Yes I could have done everything but reassuring to know someone competent had checked it over.  If you think this is pricy just check out services on a BMW - Bring More Wallet!  When I bought my BMW also bought a 3 year service contract for $1,500.  In 26 months had the 6, 12, 18, 24 and 30 thousand mile service done.  Total cost (for me $1,500) would have been $5,000 if no contract.  If I had done everything myself parts might have been $1,500.  Yamaha service manager told me that most warranty issues are found at the 600 mile service.  I recommend getting it done and afterwards doing it yourself.  I cannot say enough nice things about the dealer I bought mine from.  They knew where I was from and would probably never see me again but they treated me very nicely, gave me a good price on the bike and a good price on my trade in.  I would have not gotten as good a deal locally.  

I cannot stress enough the importance of a good dealer or service shop and having a good relationship with them.  I plan on doing all of the maintenance on my Tracer GT - not a perfect bike but it does have character and soul.  I want a bike that gives a smile when I ride not a good tool - have plenty of those in my toolbox. 

Edited by PhotoAl
fix spelling errors

18 hours ago, PowerMalc said:

What is the typical cost for the first 600 mile service.

My local dealer has told me £199 or £149 if I had bought the new bike from them

I am in the UK

I paid about £124 back in March.   It shouldn't mater where you bought the bike as its work for there garage.  

Edited by Alistair
Update cost

On 9/26/2020 at 5:18 PM, betoney said:

Exactly, and some of you might remember my fiasco of the “professional” making my chain waaaay too tight.  What a joke.  I’ll keep it from the shop as much as possible.

• Thumbsup 3

• 2 weeks later...

Thoughts on not changing oil/filter at 600, I mean I'm not really that concerned about such a thing these days? I am debating just riding till about 1000 miles or so, and no I am not starting an oil thread. LOL

I would change the oil and filter at 600 miles if I had purchased my bike new.  It is a very easy job on the Tracer 900 with the filter and oil drain plug accessibility.   I purchased my 2019 Tracer GT with 4400 miles and plan on doing the oil/filter change at 5000......just because.

Edited by whisperquiet
  • Thumbsup 2

I highly recommend changing to get small particles out of the system.  New manufacturing process and tolerances are very good but not perfect.  I was told that most warranty issues come at the 600 mile service - I had a 1,400 mile ride home and wanted to get the bike checked out before that.

Agree with whisper quiet - going to change oil soon just because I can and already have the supplies :-) 

Edited by PhotoAl