• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Main Key Switch - Stop/Kill Switch - Fuel Pump Priming

Hello everyone

'19 Tracer 900 here. 

I have a doubt on the fuel pump not priming (see below), I took a look to the owner's manual but couldn't find anything on this matter bc to turn on the bike says to turn the key on, set kill switch to run and then start (nothing wrong here)

This is what doesn't add up

I turn the key on and if the kill switch is set to stop and I wait like a few seconds (lets say the amount of time that the pump usually takes to prime) before turning the kill switch to run, the fuel pump will not prime! So I don't hear the sound at all.

But, the fuel pump is only priming if the kill switch is already set to run prior to turn the key on

it seems odd that the pump will only prime within that amount of time, and it seems like it's having a rough start.

On my other bike, if I turn the key on, and wait even a few minutes, when I turn the kill switch to run, it will prime the pump no matter what.

Do all the Tracers behave like this? or is it just mine?

Thanks in advance

You live more in five minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all their entire life. "Marco Simoncelli" - Yamaha Tracer 900 '19 - Honda CB650R '19

When in doubt...Read the owners manual. 

Make sure kill switch is on. Turn key on. wait till insturments stop their initiation cycle. This not coincidently is the same amount of time the fuel pump primes. Hit the starter.

This is what you should do even with your car except the kill switch part. Too many people slap the keys in and turn them immediately. Bad.

Turn the key on and give it time for the fuel pump to turn off. Most cars you can hear it if the radio isn't blaring. ECU needs time to assess various temps, pressures, etc.

• Thumbsup 2

I did read the owner's manual, I always do before posting anything online, It's common sense to read it. 😅

However, the manual I found online is a bit different (I'm now wondering if the hard copy is like yours)

It says, turn the key on and set the stop switch to run

I always let the pump prime, and never start the engine before it's finished

But what it doesn't make any sense is that, if I turn the key on, and wait a bit to set the stop switch to run, it does not prime. And this is where it's having a rough start.

It seems odd that it doesn't prime whenever we set the switch to run. But only if it's already set prior to turn the key on. 

And/or within that amount of time after turning the key on (which still not the correct way of doing it, it has to be set to run before turning the key)

I obviously try to get used to it, but sometimes I just forget.

Thanks anyway.

start.JPG

You live more in five minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all their entire life. "Marco Simoncelli" - Yamaha Tracer 900 '19 - Honda CB650R '19

Man this is so simple leave the kill switch on always and turn the ignition key on wait for dash to cycle through , push the start button. Done . ride then shut it off with the key. Repeat as needed !

MIKE

• Thumbsup 8

• Supporting Member
32 minutes ago, GTO MIKE said:

Man this is so simple leave the kill switch on always and turn the ignition key on wait for dash to cycle through , push the start button. Done . ride then shut it off with the key. Repeat as needed !

MIKE

Agreed, I have never used the engine stop switch on any bike, ever.  Key on -start- and key off. 👍

• Thumbsup 6

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

7 hours ago, betoney said:

Agreed, I have never used the engine stop switch on any bike, ever

+1 for me, I only put the kill switch to off if I am switching on the ignition to go into or change the menu features and don't want to prime or start the engine, I wonder if their is a "time out" designed into the software that cuts out the fuel pump if their is a delay between ignition on and switch to run

• Thumbsup 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
On 11/14/2020 at 5:04 PM, betoney said:

Agreed, I have never used the engine stop switch on any bike, ever.  Key on -start- and key off. 👍

Am I the only one who uses the kill switch to turn the motorcycle off? If I' done riding for the day, I pull the bike in the garage and flip the kill switch. I get off the bike and THEN turn the key (actually remove the key from the bike, as I don't think leaving the key in the bike is a smart move, even in my garage)

I'm not saying this is the best way, but I started this routine when I got my 2015 FJ09, and still do it with my 2020 Tracer

• Thumbsup 2

2 hours ago, DavidS said:

Am I the only one who uses the kill switch to turn the motorcycle off? If I' done riding for the day, I pull the bike in the garage and flip the kill switch. I get off the bike and THEN turn the key (actually remove the key from the bike, as I don't think leaving the key in the bike is a smart move, even in my garage)

I'm not saying this is the best way, but I started this routine when I got my 2015 FJ09, and still do it with my 2020 Tracer

I do the same, that’s why I was having issues when turning the key back on

I’m now trying to place the switch back on before getting off the bike, or remember to turn it to on before turning the key

I’m just getting used to it

• Thumbsup 1

7 hours ago, DavidS said:

(actually remove the key from the bike, as I don't think leaving the key in the bike is a smart move, even in my garage)

I even lock the steering in my garage!

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
14 hours ago, DavidS said:

I pull the bike in the garage and flip the kill switch. I get off the bike and THEN turn the key

If that method works for you I wouldn't change, I don't think there is anything 'wrong' with either method.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Man, y’all are crazy. I don’t use they key or killswitch ever. To start the bike, I sacrifice a goldfinch and recite the pledge of my soul to Yamaha, and it fires up on its own every time. To turn it off I sacrificed a parakeet and curse Harleys. It’s in the fine print in the back of my manual. 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 5

• Supporting Member
22 hours ago, DavidS said:

Am I the only one who uses the kill switch to turn the motorcycle off?

I do as well, and am kind of surprised to hear that we appear to be in the minority.  In my case, I think it’s a habit that dates all the way back to my keyless dirt bike days when it was the only option (other than crashing) to turn the thing off...   

That said, I haven’t noticed any issues with starting on my 2015 FJ.   I’ll turn the power on with the key, flip the kill switch to run, and then press the starter after a few seconds.   It fires right up every time.