Riding School

Yamajank

Somewhat related funny story. Back in the 90’s, before Sears Point Raceway was expanded/renovated, I used to go to the races and mostly hang out on the back side, T 7 8 9. One year I decided to scout a better position and realized that the protruding hill at T 1-2 offered a spectacular vantage that I hadn’t considered. For Sunday I made a point of arriving early to claim the spot.

I got there in time, set up my camp chair and umbrella and settled in at THE prime spot. Not long after that a group arrived, and the guy who was clearly in charge of the group graciously asked me if we could share the spot. He’d even put up his huge sun shade, and all I had to do was scootch over a few inches so he could sit next to me.

The guy then starts to point out things to me as the riders go by. At first I think he’s a blowhard, but then as I start to listen, this guy really knows what he’s talking about. He’s pointing out things like body positioning, braking points, specific riders weakness and strengths.  It turned out to be the best time I’ve ever had watching races live.

I had no idea who the guy was, until I saw his picture in one of the bike magazines. It was Keith Code!  It was an amazing experience.  

• Thumbsup 5
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

Great riding to be had in Ohio as well, and you also have KY and MZ nearby for you too. :) I need to ride approx 30 minutes to start hitting the fun stuff, that's actually quite typical for most of us suburbinites.

• Thumbsup 1

• 4 weeks later...

I signed up!  YCRS Feb. 18-19 at the INDE Ranch!  The code given out actually added another %10 off everything, so BIG THANK YOU to com3.

The main page doesn't list it, but they have Tracers you can rent, so I signed up for that, but Nick told me I could switch around to other bikes.  They don't have any GTs, but that's ok at least I'll have almost the same experience as if I brought mine.

So anyway, if any of you guys happen to be heading out to this class, let me know.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Yamajank said:

I signed up!  YCRS Feb. 18-19 at the INDE Ranch!  The code given out actually added another %10 off everything, so BIG THANK YOU to com3.

The main page doesn't list it, but they have Tracers you can rent, so I signed up for that, but Nick told me I could switch around to other bikes.  They don't have any GTs, but that's ok at least I'll have almost the same experience as if I brought mine.

So anyway, if any of you guys happen to be heading out to this class, let me know.

You won't be disappointed!  I'm not sure if I'll be at that school yet or not..I'll be at the homestead, Florida event at the end of Jan though. 

• Thumbsup 2

19 hours ago, Yamajank said:

So basically 20% off? That's a large chunk of change to save. Awesome!

A Champ Grad day at Road Atlanta is realllllly tempting... 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

'15 FJ09

Few days left for the killer deal on YCRS!  Anyway, I'm such a noob at the track stuff.  I know there are some types of gear you're supposed to wear under the leathers, but I don't have ANY of it.  What do you recommend?

• Thumbsup 1

3 hours ago, Yamajank said:

Few days left for the killer deal on YCRS!  Anyway, I'm such a noob at the track stuff.  I know there are some types of gear you're supposed to wear under the leathers, but I don't have ANY of it.  What do you recommend?

You don't *need* any of it, but under armor type material, long sleeves and long pants, help the leathers slide off easier. 

• Thanks 1

'15 FJ09

On 12/25/2020 at 2:12 PM, Yamajank said:

Basically what @koth442 said. 

I prefer long sleeve and long pant underarmor. I really don't like the feeling of my leathers against bare skin. It just feels gross. Haha. Also, I have both winter and summer under armor...I.e., summer gear helps me stay cooler, etc. 

Cycle gear has their own inexpensive brand...and just about any dept style store (Wal-Mart etc) will have their house brand of similar type stuff... But you get what you pay for. 

If you want best of the best, my friend aliki makes the cream of the crop compression gear:  https://vnmsport.com/

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

YCRS Review

OK, here we go.  I finally made it out to INDE after having to wait another month because of flight cancellations.  I had three main goals for this experience. 1) Really freaking understand trail braking.  2) Figure out why and stop having so much tension in my arms/hands.  3) And gain as much knowledge about how the motorcycle works and what inputs it likes best to be safer faster.  

1) Mission accomplished.  Not only do I understand trail braking, but I can do it.  And it provides a better control of the machine.

2) Mission accomplished. Biggest solution for this is use my body more, and simply more confidence in controlling the motorcycle.  If you are fortunate enough to get to a class, you have to do the two-up ride.  Mine was with Nick and I couldn't believe how fast he was able to go.  

3) Mission accomplished.  The video that is on youtube about 100 points of grip is only the tip of the iceberg, but it gives you a hint of one of the main tenets of the YCRS way.

Overall, I'm really glad I did this.  Nick and all the other trainers are so fun.  He talks up front about customer service and they back up their words 100%.  It's probably more geared toward someone who is trying to get faster on the track than just a street rider, but they don't neglect the street rider at all.  This was my first time on a track, but I imagine I'll find a few more local track days now that I feel comfortable with a track.  

Only "downside" to the whole thing is that I realize I'm probably going to have to ship the ECU to Ivan for a flash because of the smoothness factor.  Hopefully that can be a quick turn-around, and then back to practicing my new skills.

Thanks again to @com3 for the coupon and the advice.  I can't speak about what I don't know about the other schools, but I 100% recommend YCRS.  

IMG_1336.jpg

• Thumbsup 5
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Trail braking totally transformed riding for me. 

I didn't realize it, as it happened very gradually over decades riding, but I was entering unknown corners slower and slower because they were unknown and in traditional riding you're pretty much committed to a speed once you've entered the corner.  As - at least where most of my riding happens - corners as a rule tend to be blind more often than not, this resulted in my riding slower and slower.

I was blissfully unaware, till I went on a group trip with a bunch of guys who went way harder into these corners than I was comfortable with... But at speeds I used to be comfortable with.  And they weren't squiddy sorts, this wasn't some knee dragging thing.  I was fine following them, but terrified at the notion of doing it on my own.  

The rationale, of course, was legitimate: I'd been in major motorcycle accidents precisely because I'd entered known corners at speeds that would normally be ok, but some random happening made it not ok - but I was unable to compensate.   An example being a large sheet of cardboard that resulted in a really unpleasant lowside.  

Learning to trail into corners with the suspension pre-loaded correctly until the point where you can see through the exit was game-changing.  You make the bike tip in a bit faster, and you're able to shed speed much faster if circumstances change mid corner rather than just braking and ending up off the road.  For street riding, particularly through corners with limited visibility, it's absolutely amazing. 

• Thumbsup 6

On 3/27/2021 at 5:56 PM, Yamajank said:

YCRS Review

OK, here we go.  I finally made it out to INDE after having to wait another month because of flight cancellations.  I had three main goals for this experience. 1) Really freaking understand trail braking.  2) Figure out why and stop having so much tension in my arms/hands.  3) And gain as much knowledge about how the motorcycle works and what inputs it likes best to be safer faster.  

1) Mission accomplished.  Not only do I understand trail braking, but I can do it.  And it provides a better control of the machine.

2) Mission accomplished. Biggest solution for this is use my body more, and simply more confidence in controlling the motorcycle.  If you are fortunate enough to get to a class, you have to do the two-up ride.  Mine was with Nick and I couldn't believe how fast he was able to go.  

3) Mission accomplished.  The video that is on youtube about 100 points of grip is only the tip of the iceberg, but it gives you a hint of one of the main tenets of the YCRS way.

Overall, I'm really glad I did this.  Nick and all the other trainers are so fun.  He talks up front about customer service and they back up their words 100%.  It's probably more geared toward someone who is trying to get faster on the track than just a street rider, but they don't neglect the street rider at all.  This was my first time on a track, but I imagine I'll find a few more local track days now that I feel comfortable with a track.  

Only "downside" to the whole thing is that I realize I'm probably going to have to ship the ECU to Ivan for a flash because of the smoothness factor.  Hopefully that can be a quick turn-around, and then back to practicing my new skills.

Thanks again to @com3 for the coupon and the advice.  I can't speak about what I don't know about the other schools, but I 100% recommend YCRS.  

IMG_1336.jpg

Woot! Sorry I wasn't at this one to meet you personally! Glad you had a great time and learned some good stuff. :)

• Thumbsup 1