Bucket list rides.

I like to go to the Isle of Man and ride the race route on Mad Sunday when speed limits are not in effect.

Then on to the Alps for a tour of mountain passes.

• Thumbsup 4
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

For me right now it's the Canadian Rockies. 

• Thumbsup 3

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

In my forties was still "that guy" that never took much more than the occasional three day weekend for a vacation. Then my father and slightly older brother, both the same type as me wrt vacation, passed within a month of each other. So decided to start doing my bucket list. Alternate each year between international and domestic. 

So the below are bucket list trips I've done :)

Lots of Norcal. All most folks will ever need in terms of roads. Multiple entries on my list. Start with booking a motel in Fortuna and take CA33 to I5. Or, over in the Sierras start with any of the three highest paved passes in Cali and get lost for a week. 

Munich, Alps, & Dolomites. 1 week in the Alps & Dolomites on a guided tour (friend wanted guided, I didn't), then a week solo, renting in Munich and staying in Andermatt Switzerland for a week doing day trips over Alps passes. Van Goghs and beers in Munich.

Prudhoe Bay -- aborted -- Pacific NW, Jasper, Banff, Ice fields etc. Friend and I were on DRZ400SMs. Was supposed to be a blast all the way to PB but the night we got to Canada friend said he couldn't keep up the pace required physically. Ended up doing Jasper, Banff, glaciers etc, then extended time in WA & OR. 6k miles on dirt bike seats what could possibly go wrong?

Isle of Man. Wanted the full experience and had reasons to be in London so rented there, took back roads to Liverpool including a stop at Cat & Fiddle, took ferry over. Found my ancestors' graves on IOM, got the whole race week in with only one minor delay for rain, etc. Mad Sunday. Stayed for Castletown races. Ferry back to Liverpool. Spent a night there and hit John Lennon's favorite pub for a pint. Stopped at the National Motorcycle Museum the following day. All the Triumphs had drip trays (surprise!). Friend from Texas that went with just bought a house on IOM so won't need to pay for accommodation again :)

Prudhoe Bay Attempt Deux. Los Angeles to start of Alcan to meet up with friends from back east. On the way back I split from them and grabbed the Alaskan State Marine Ferry from Skagway back to WA. Kind of like a low-cost Alaskan cruise with orca sightings etc.

N. Ireland, Ireland, and the Northwest 200. Two week loop of island with the first on the move and the second based around the NW 200 races. Met McPint and got a photo with him. Had a pint at Joey's.

New Zealand. Self-guided tour hired bikes in Auckland, two week loop of north and south islands. 

More Norcal and SW with a few days at north rim of grand canyon. Thence to good riding in UT, CO etc. Pike's Peak just cause. 

N. Ireland and Scotland. Flew into Belfast and spent a few days at the Ulster GP. Ferry to Scotland and 10 day loop doing most of NC 500, checked out Orkney. 

It's all been fantastic. For roads, the nw corner of California has a lifetime of bucket list stuff. Some of my trips above were expensive but you can have just as much fun and adventure and great roads riding and camping in Norcal.

Fwiw, neither PCH (except a few stretches) nor Route 66 would be on my bucket list. I've ridden and driven them many many times for other reasons so take that with a grain of salt. 

Bucket List Right Now: Have a depo on a trip that keeps getting pushed back due to covid. Fly to Barcelona and do 10 days self-guided in the Pyrenees from coast to coast. Want to dovetail this with staying with my friend on IOM for a few weeks and work as a TT marshal.

Edited by chitown
typos
  • Thumbsup 4
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

@chitown that's an impressive list!

Regarding IOM: Assuming one doesn't have a friend from Texas with a local house, what are the options for accommodations during the TT? Are there plenty of rooms to rent, or do most people camp? I should have included this one on my bucket list.  

3 hours ago, maximo said:

For me right now it's the Canadian Rockies. 

If you haven't traveled through the Canadian Rockies, put it at the top of your list. I've driven every scenic mountain road in the 48 and nothing compares to the Canadian Rockies. I've also backpacked solo the length of those mountains, and they are beyond beautiful. I rode my Concours 14 there a few years ago and you just can't go wrong. 

As for international travel, my wife and I are planning a Chile/Argentina trip for 2023. Inspired by Long Way Up. 

• Thumbsup 2

53 minutes ago, keithu said:

Regarding IOM: Assuming one doesn't have a friend from Texas with a local house, what are the options for accommodations during the TT? Are there plenty of rooms to rent, or do most people camp? I should have included this one on my bucket list.  

First trip booked a hotel room in Douglas. There were also homes and rooms for rent via services like airbnb. But I think the majority camp. Camping ranges from a spot in a field to places that have fully built tents ready for you with services, just need to bring a bag etc.

Some of the smaller lodging places on the course would be cool to stay at but often have recurring reservations for folks that go every year so can be difficult to book.

Another friend that met up with us shipped camping gear over and flew into Douglas. Used buses to get around. The spirit is great tho, random folks he met in camp offered use of their bikes. 

If you plan on using the ferry from Liverpool *that* will be the most important reservation you make, even before lodging or camp spot. Folks start booking a year in advance. Getting over isn't bad because some folks will arrive early for practice week etc. But everybody wants to leave at the same time. 

Loved having the bike for the first trip because on the off days we explored. There are a number of neolithic sites and while staring at old rocks doesn't sound interesting the ancients often put these in interesting locations with fantastic views. We also used the bikes to scout different places along the course we wanted to watch from. We walked to the course one day and elbowed into a vacant lot at the bottom of Bray Hill, paid for grandstand at Creg Ny Baa another, donated a few quid for access to a lawn chair and wall in Glen Helen, and the other days I think were also small donations for watching from church yards etc. Good times.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member

My bucket list ride will be when my boy graduates HS. He and I will hit the road and stay gone as much as possible that summer before he starts college/military/trade school; whatever he chooses. We will go where the road takes us. I’m saving money and vacation. 

• Thumbsup 5

Let’s go Brandon

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, chitown said:

Fwiw, neither PCH (except a few stretches) nor Route 66 would be on my bucket list. I've ridden and driven them many many times for other reasons so take that with a grain of salt.

Any particular reason I shouldn't try and plan a ride to the Southern half (Monterey to Pismo Beach) of PCH?  Bad traffic or road conditions or...?

Not being from that area, what I view as a possible dream ride, locals might just shrug their shoulders and say "Meh..."

I was planning for possibly late May, riding a lot of the NW corner of the state, then Avenue of the Giants, Clear Lake, Lake Berryessa etc. before heading to Monterey.  I have ridden the Northern half several times but never been South of Santa Cruz on a bike.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

30 minutes ago, betoney said:

Any particular reason I shouldn't try and plan a ride to the Southern half (Monterey to Pismo Beach) of PCH?  Bad traffic or road conditions or...?

South of Monterrey isn't so bad for traffic. Even less traffic once you're south of Big Sir. It's pretty, but it's boring. Unless you REALLY love coast line, bleh. 

While you're up at Ave. of the Giants, I HIGHLY recommend checking out The Lost Coast. A little tiny road will split off out of Ferndale then wind you back towards 101. It's excellent. Also very remote so be prepared with basic tools, patch kit, etc. 

Berryessa GP is solid riding. Spanish Flat used to be one of my frequents. 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

'15 FJ09

1 hour ago, betoney said:

Not being from that area, what I view as a possible dream ride, locals might just shrug their shoulders and say "Meh..."

I was planning for possibly late May, riding a lot of the NW corner of the state, then Avenue of the Giants, Clear Lake, Lake Berryessa etc. before heading to Monterey.  I have ridden the Northern half several times but never been South of Santa Cruz on a bike.

Traffic and most of it distracted. If you've never seen that stretch yes there is definitely some beauty there so likely worth doing it at least once but with all the people and traffic not so beautiful that I'd put it on my list :)

Few opportunities for legal passing. Draws a lot of international travelers. Rental motorhomes. Folks pulling trailers. If you're gawking those folks in the cages are gawking too. Every season there are multiple tourists from LH driving countries that have head ons on this stretch of PCH as they leave turnouts to reenter the road. I can identify since I frequently visit their countries. 

Pre-covid, once you get to San Simeon area there's the addition of LA getaway folks who like to visit the wineries in the area. Add wine-tasting to the distracted tourist factor.

Other than that it's great and haven't had any long-term closures for awhile now. Morro Bay/SLO/Paso Robles is an area where I meet with friends from the Bay Area quite a bit but we tend to avoid the scenic route on those trips. 

If the weather's good do at least an up and back for photos at Nascimiento-Fergusson Road. Stunning view of the coast as the road climbs steeply before turning inland. If you did continue on it's also fun to ride (in Top 10 road lists in many motorcycle mags) and can be used to get inland as well, passing thru the outer training areas of Fort Hunter Liggett. The fort also contains the only Spanish Mission in the US where you can actually spend the night (straw mattresses and all). 

Enjoy the ride!

Edited by chitown
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

Carmel to Morro Bay on PCH isn't the gnarliest road in the world, but I wouldn't call it boring. The coastal scenery is beautiful IMO. If possible I recommend riding it early in the morning, like sunrise early. You'll have the road to yourself before 8:00am. From there I would take CA-58 over to McKittrick, then go south on CA-33 all the way into Ojai.

And since you'll be in SoCal, you should pay a visit to the Rock Store if you've never been. Sundays are best because the parking lot is always filled with exotic motorcycles. It's a legendary hangout surrounded by the numerous twisty canyon roads of the Santa Monica mountains.  

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, keithu said:

Carmel to Morro Bay on PCH isn't the gnarliest road in the world, but I wouldn't call it boring. The coastal scenery is beautiful IMO. If possible I recommend riding it early in the morning, like sunrise early. You'll have the road to yourself before 8:00am. From there I would talk CA-58 over to McKittrick, then go south on CA-33 all the way into Ojai.

And since you'll be in SoCal, you should pay a visit to the Rock Store if you've never been. Sundays are best because the parking lot is always filled with exotic motorcycles. It's a legendary hangout surrounded by the numerous twisty canyon roads of the Santa Monica mountains.  

If you're going to recommend 58 you have to recommend Rossi's Driveway CA229. It's like a rule or sumpin :)

58 is one of my favorite roads in the universe. But not in any quantifiable way. More Zen. A few smoking hot sections of twisties, some whoops, utter solitude unless they're working on solar farms or something, and look there's a tarantula-looking thing crossing the road.

Nobody actually goes all the way to McKittrick unless they've an old GPS that thinks there's still a gas station there lol. And if going 33 to Ojai... cut out a big chunk of boring straight 33 by doing Hudson Valley & Lockwood Valley as a long cut. Altitude for better views and temps. Much better roads.

The Rock Store is fun once every ten years or so. Leno will come by in a jalopy etc. Folks can argue about why they lowside at Edwards... ah the good ol days.

Edited by chitown
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

18 minutes ago, chitown said:

If you're going to recommend 58 you have to recommend Rossi's Driveway CA229. It's like a rule or sumpin :)

I don't think I've ever ridden CA229. I'll have to add that to my list.

Nobody actually goes all the way to McKittrick unless they've an old GPS that thinks there's still a gas station there lol. And if going 33 to Ojai... cut out a big chunk of boring straight 33 by doing Hudson Valley & Lockwood Valley as a long cut. Altitude for better views and temps. Much better roads.

I think you still have to ride the boring part of 33 from McKittrick to Maricopa if you want to get from 58 to Hudson Ranch Rd. There's a road through California Valley and across the Carrizo Plain, but I don't think it was paved the last time I checked 28 years ago. 🤨

Edit: California Valley is an interesting place. Look at all the roads platted out in the image below. You'd think there's a big town on in the middle of nowhere, but there isn't. Some con artist bought a large tract of worthless, desolate land in the middle of nowhere, named the place "California Valley," printed up some fancy brochures, and then sold plots sight unseen to unsuspecting midwesterners. 

CaliforniaValley.thumb.png.c31f66215b080d50b705cf3d414af89c.png

Buyers arrived and discovered they'd been had. Check out the "lake." 

CaliforniaValley2.thumb.png.4a9b1b530fa0129de2065b62046953cf.png

It appears to be a solar farm now, which is about the only thing that land is good for.