Bucket list rides.

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, koth442 said:

While you're up at Ave. of the Giants, I HIGHLY recommend checking out The Lost Coast. A little tiny road will split off out of Ferndale then wind you back towards 101. It's excellent. Also very remote so be prepared with basic tools, patch kit, etc.

35 minutes ago, chitown said:

If the weather's good do at least an up and back for photos at Nascimiento-Fergusson Road. Stunning view of the coast as the road climbs steeply before turning inland.

32 minutes ago, keithu said:

Carmel to Morro Bay on PCH isn't the gnarliest road in the world, but I wouldn't call it boring. The coastal scenery is beautiful IMO. If possible I recommend riding it early in the morning, like sunrise early. You'll have the road to yourself before 8:00am. From there I would take CA-58 over to McKittrick, then go south on CA-33 all the way into Ojai.

20 minutes ago, chitown said:

If you're going to recommend 58 you have to recommend Rossi's Driveway CA229. It's like a rule or sumpin :)

58 is one of my favorite roads in the universe. But not in any quantifiable way. More Zen. A few smoking hot sections of twisties, some whoops, utter solitude unless they're working on solar farms or something, and look there's a tarantula-looking thing crossing the road.

Nobody actually goes all the way to McKittrick unless they've an old GPS that thinks there's still a gas station there lol. And if going 33 to Ojai... cut out a big chunk of boring straight 33 by doing Hudson Valley & Lockwood Valley as a long cut. Altitude for better views and temps. Much better roads

3 minutes ago, keithu said:

I don't think I've ever ridden CA229. I'll have to add that to my list.

I think you still have to ride the boring part of 33 from McKittrick to Maricopa if you want to get from 58 to Hudson Ranch Rd. There's a road through California Valley and across the Carrizo Plain, but I don't think it was paved the last time I checked 28 years ago. 🤨

Great recommendations, I'm cataloguing all of it.  Thanks guys!! 😎👍

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

32 minutes ago, keithu said:

I don't think I've ever ridden CA229. I'll have to add that to my list.

I think you still have to ride the boring part of 33 from McKittrick to Maricopa if you want to get from 58 to Hudson Ranch Rd. There's a road through California Valley and across the Carrizo Plain, but I don't think it was paved the last time I checked 28 years ago. 🤨

229 is a unicorn. Do laps on it when I get the chance. Can only surmise somebody wealthy and influential may have once owned one of the ranches on that road... it's a weird road to be a CA state highway.

58 tees into 33 technically in McKittrick city limits I guess but there's nothing there except the tar pits. The "town" is a bit north so most won't go through it unless headed east. Yes, you still have to ride past the derricks into Taft unless you do Soda Lake Road. Not paved. It is gnarly loose over-sized gravel in long sections so not much fun on street tires. Can be done but not worth it since most folks will want to fuel in Taft.

Here's some video from running CA229 in my Miata. Following a Juke. Cause I like musicals and chick cars.

Edited by chitown
  • Thumbsup 3

6 hours ago, chitown said:

If you're going to recommend 58 you have to recommend Rossi's Driveway CA229. It's like a rule or sumpin :).

Hehe. I ended up on 229 the best way, totally by chance, because I made a wrong turn. So impressed that when I got home I looked it up and found "Rossi's driveway" and made it an avatar!

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, micah2074 said:

My bucket list ride will be when my boy graduates HS. He and I will hit the road and stay gone as much as possible that summer before he starts college/military/trade school; whatever he chooses. We will go where the road takes us. I’m saving money and vacation. 

Awesome idea.  Did this with my father when he retired and have so many wonderful memories.

• Thumbsup 2

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

• Supporting Member

@koth442, @maximo, @chitown, @keithu or anyone familiar with the Bucks Lake/ La Porte loop between Quincy and Oroville, does that area have seasonal snow closures? 

2 Years ago we rode through that area before riding Markleeville and Sonora Pass in mid-June and Sonora had just been cleared a few days prior and still had a lot of snow at the summit.  Not sure of the elevation of Bucks Lake loop and if I need to plan accordingly for snow closures.

image.thumb.png.4651300f90c9d63f84e7e1c0512fe586.png

• Thumbsup 2

16 hours ago, keithu said:

Carmel to Morro Bay on PCH  ...The coastal scenery is beautiful IMO. If possible I recommend riding it early in the morning, like sunrise early. You'll have the road to yourself before 8:00am. From there I would take CA-58 over to McKittrick, then go south on CA-33 all the way into Ojai.

The great thing about that path is the ocean is to your right as you go down Pacific Coast Highway. You can pull over whenever you want, and it is easier to go in and out of some really nice places along the way such as Nepenthe for coffee in Big Sur. I just did that ride and there is also a great pull off at Julia Pheiffer Burns park, amazing views of rocky coast. Keep going for coffee and gas at Ragged Point Inn. 

staticmap?center=36.1694921%2C-121.68491

Find local businesses, view maps and get driving directions in Google Maps.

I totally agree with "CA-58 over to McKittrick, then go south on CA-33 all the way into Ojai" and the place to get off Pacific Coast Highway is on Hwy 46 heading inland just south of Cambria. That is a beautiful road that gets you to the 101 freeway where you can easily connect with CA-58.

Edited by Lone Wolf
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1
1980 Yamaha 850 Triple (sold). Too many bikes to list, FJ-09 is next on my list

16 hours ago, chitown said:

229 is a unicorn. Do laps on it when I get the chance. Can only surmise somebody wealthy and influential may have once owned one of the ranches on that road... it's a weird road to be a CA state highway.

58 tees into 33 technically in McKittrick city limits I guess but there's nothing there except the tar pits. The "town" is a bit north so most won't go through it unless headed east. Yes, you still have to ride past the derricks into Taft unless you do Soda Lake Road. Not paved. It is gnarly loose over-sized gravel in long sections so not much fun on street tires. Can be done but not worth it since most folks will want to fuel in Taft.

Here's some video from running CA229 in my Miata. Following a Juke. Cause I like musicals and chick cars.

That looks like the road to the Lick Observatory which is just east of San Jose.  LOL I was driving a rental SUV with marshmallows for suspension plus my wife gets carsick so had to take it easy.  If I can get back on my Tracer next year will defiantly have to do that ride.

med_O2A2273.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, betoney said:

@koth442, @maximo, @chitown, @keithu or anyone familiar with the Bucks Lake/ La Porte loop between Quincy and Oroville, does that area have seasonal snow closures? 

It varies year to year with the weather, so you'll need to check. I think the last time I rode Bucks Lake was in June and there wasn't any snow that I recall. 

Here's Sonora Pass in June 2005.

05cal_14.jpg.dc3cf54cdf753a4bc3a046441b98672d.jpg

05cal_13.jpg.93525f459cc29e51ac043297db114711.jpg

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
8 minutes ago, keithu said:

It varies year to year with the weather, so you'll need to check. I think the last time I rode Bucks Lake was in June and there wasn't any snow that I recall. 

Here's Sonora Pass in June 2005.

05cal_14.jpg.dc3cf54cdf753a4bc3a046441b98672d.jpg

The wait is brutal every year but SO worth it, there is not much riding that beats scenic, twisty mountain passes.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, betoney said:

The wait is brutal every year but SO worth it, there is not much riding that beats scenic, twisty mountain passes.

Indeed. It's one thing I miss about California. The PNW has some stunning scenery for sure, but I lived in Manteca for four years so I had all the epic Sierra Nevada passes right in my back yard: Carson, Ebbets, Sonora, Tioga, etc. It was trivial to string together a couple of these passes on a Sunday morning ride. 

• Thumbsup 4

• Supporting Member
16 minutes ago, keithu said:

Indeed. It's one thing I miss about California. The PNW has some stunning scenery for sure, but I lived in Manteca for four years so I had all the epic Sierra Nevada passes right in my back yard: Carson, Ebbets, Sonora, Tioga, etc. It was trivial to string together a couple of these passes on a Sunday morning ride. 

Very fortunate to have that type of riding at your disposal.  I try to plan a road trip to California at least once a season, mixing in long-standing favorite roads while always adding something new each trip. 

• Thumbsup 1

2 hours ago, keithu said:

I feel you deeply. Glad to live in WA but the Sierra Nevada is an international treasure. Seeing your photos literally makes my heart hurt with love. I've hiked the Tahoe Yosemite Trail (and John Muir) and the country north and south of Sonora Pass is break your heart beautiful. The Sierra is a sacred home for me, along with the Salish Sea and the Canadian Rockies and Southern Utah. My top spots. My poor sons will have the duty to spread my ashes in those spots! 

• Thumbsup 2

3 hours ago, betoney said:

2 Years ago we rode through that area before riding Markleeville and Sonora Pass in mid-June and Sonora had just been cleared a few days prior and still had a lot of snow at the summit.  Not sure of the elevation of Bucks Lake loop and if I need to plan accordingly for snow closures.

Buck's Lake area is a hair over 5,000'. Buck's Lake Road and Big Creek (use this unless you want to actually stop at the lake to eat, there's a nice place with a patio etc) can close during winter but the norcal folks probably have better info than me.

My last trip up there is generally the last week of Sep with 1-2 nights in Tahoe and 2-3 nights in Quincy. Then generally don't ride the area again until the paved passes to 395 are open as that's what I use to blast north/south. This year we almost made it as those counties were doing ok on covid but the fires and smoke were bad so we switched to Taft at the last minute. If I'm unsure about weather/fires I'll look around online and call the motel in Quincy (Ranchito) and see what I can find out. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PhotoAl said:

That looks like the road to the Lick Observatory which is just east of San Jose.  LOL I was driving a rental SUV with marshmallows for suspension plus my wife gets carsick so had to take it easy.  If I can get back on my Tracer next year will defiantly have to do that ride.

Been there many times with my norcal buds. Mt. Hamilton, Mines, Del Puerto etc. I am in SoCal but have worked remote for a couple Palo Alto and SF based companies and would ride up and back every few weeks. Usually met local friends for a bite at Alice's then use a day or three to meander home avoiding interstate as much as possible. 

Rossi's has to be experienced on a bike and in a good handling car. The fish eye effect on the gopro doesn't do it justice :)