Ignition Key Drama Tracer 900 GT

Having previously lost a pair of expensive ear plugs I decided to keep the small metal tube on my key ring; well that turned out to be a big mistake!  The tube is only an inch or so but somehow managed to jam between in the edge of the metal speedo bezel as I parked the bike turning the handlebars fully. Didn't really feel it due to the leverage, but saw the speedo vibrate as the the little tube put great force on the ignition key via the key ring.

Needless to say the key and ignition lock took the brunt of it and the key duly bent!. Fortunately it still works and I have new spare to use instead, my dealer says a new key would cost about £150!!  

Please check out what you have on your key ring, the gap is very small and the sharp bezel is seemingly able to grab things as the handlebar is turned!!

• Thumbsup 5

28 minutes ago, Seawatcher said:

Having previously lost a pair of expensive ear plugs I decided to keep the small metal tube on my key ring; well that turned out to be a big mistake!  The tube is only an inch or so but somehow managed to jam between in the edge of the metal speedo bezel as I parked the bike turning the handlebars fully. Didn't really feel it due to the leverage, but saw the speedo vibrate as the the little tube put great force on the ignition key via the key ring.

Needless to say the key and ignition lock took the brunt of it and the key duly bent!. Fortunately it still works and I have new spare to use instead, my dealer says a new key would cost about £150!!  

Please check out what you have on your key ring, the gap is very small and the sharp bezel is seemingly able to grab things as the handlebar is turned!!

This is an issue that happens a lot.

I have some givi keys on for panniers and topbox. They are L-shaped.

On my FZ1 they regularly got trapped and would have to be wiggled out. Eventually they contributed to the lock becoming faulty. On my Daily NC700 they often catch and bind up, but are easier to release.

Keys and motorcycles can be a real pain in the arse.

• Thumbsup 1

1 hour ago, Seawatcher said:

Thanks for sharing this. I hope you find a better price for that key, because that seems really extravagant. I recall from the manual that you need the red key to program the transponder to the new key.

There was a post where someone mentioned always carrying some blank keys to help out other riders on long trips so that seems to implicate that there are cheaper solutions. Hope it works out!

• Thumbsup 2

The key is rather wimpy, too easily bent ... I bent mine a little this weekend on the side case, because I also have a bag on the back seat that overhangs the case and somehow in my fumbling around bent it. A big part of the problem is that so much of the length of the key doesn't even go into the lock barrel, leaving a long lever exposed.

I use these quick release key chain attachments to hold my ignition key to the key ring with house key and earplug holder. Pop the key off to use it, reattach when done so as not to lose it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HZ0BOR6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

36 minutes ago, wanderer said:

The key is rather wimpy, too easily bent ... I bent mine a little this weekend on the side case

One of the reasons I prefer seperate keys for the ignition and side cases. Last year I started to keep my bike keys on a lanyard round my neck and unclip the ones needed as required. Felt there was too many pockets on my textile jacket and jeans and got fed up searching pockets for them.

• Thumbsup 2

Since my first bike have always used a bare key in the ignition.  a keyring or another key will mar the area.  When I travel always take a spare key on a keyring just to have a way to differentiate them.  Have been down to leave a key in the slot to unlock the seat.  This helps me keep up with the key and not leave it in a case or seat release and ride off with it.  When I took delivery of my Tracer GT they had a key fob with their name on it.  I didn't take the time to pull the key off and have ridden some 3500 miles with it like that with no issues.  Reminds me I need to take it off the key fob.

• Thumbsup 1

I've bent my FJ key by leaving it in the seat release lock and then brushing against the side of the bike. Opps!

I just squirted some graphite into each lock and things are turning easier. But the Yami side bags are always hard to lock/unlock due to poor design. Just the right amount of force needs to be applied to the latches for the key to turn easily.  PITA.

1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

It was common years ago on the Honda ST1300 forum for members to use cut down plain keys epoxied in a cap for use with the luggage locks ..... looks good and works good.  The USA bikes use plain, non transponder keys that can be duplicated  at any locksmith for about $5.00 each.  I may create some short keys for my Tracer GT.

• Thumbsup 1

The Lesson for me seems to be to stick to the nice large flexible rubber key fob supplied by my dealer. This makes them harder to loose from my pocket whilst other other essential items like the ear plug tube will be kept on my house key bunch. I was taken back by the way this happened and the force involved,  I was glad I was not riding when it happened as it could well have caused a low speed stability problem. 

12 hours ago, PhotoAl said:

Since my first bike have always used a bare key in the ignition.  a keyring or another key will mar the area.  When I travel always take a spare key on a keyring just to have a way to differentiate them.  Have been down to leave a key in the slot to unlock the seat.  This helps me keep up with the key and not leave it in a case or seat release and ride off with it.  When I took delivery of my Tracer GT they had a key fob with their name on it.  I didn't take the time to pull the key off and have ridden some 3500 miles with it like that with no issues.  Reminds me I need to take it off the key fob.

Same for me. I’ve always used the one key for the bike and cases and have a designated pocket in my jacket where it goes. I’ve never thought of carrying the spare with me but I’ve also never ridden more than a four hours from home so I can certainly see how it can be a good idea to do so when travelling.

This thread will hopefully make me more careful about leaving the key in any of the locks though.

9 hours ago, whisperquiet said:

It was common years ago on the Honda ST1300 forum for members to use cut down plain keys epoxied in a cap for use with the luggage locks ..... looks good and works good.  The USA bikes use plain, non transponder keys that can be duplicated  at any locksmith for about $5.00 each.  I may create some short keys for my Tracer GT.

No transponders on US bikes? That’s weird. Are they also cheaper then?

I like the caps! This can also be done for bikes with transponders as long as we don’t want a cap on the ignition key. 😁

There are no transponders on the three Yamahas I own......2015 Super Tenere, 2019 Tracer 900 GT, and 2021 Tenere 700.  They use regular metal cut keys.

The USA list price on the 2020 Tracer 900 GT is $12,900.00 dollars and the EU site shows the same bike at 12,900 Euros or approximately 15,829 dollars converted.  The USA price does not include shipping, sales tax, or registration.  It is widely discounted and can be purchased for $11500.00 plus tax and registration where I live in the US.

Edited by whisperquiet
  • Thumbsup 1

I also use a split keyring that easily allow me to let on the ignition barrel only the ignition key.

The other part of the keyring with side and top cases key and anti-theft keys stay in my pocket (and always the same pocket ...)

20210105_162833.jpg.45bb6a94ca0d182fb0561c99d346e110.jpg
  • Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

I was able to go to my local Ace Hardware store and have them make duplicates of the Yamaha key, using a metal blank key. It is much sturdier than the Yamaha provided key, and I use that for my daily riding.