• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 62 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

H-D Pan America

keithu

• Premium Member
14 hours ago, micah2074 said:

If they made an ST version with those ergonomics, that engine, and shaft or belt drive I’d seriously consider buying one. 

I think the base model with the cast wheels is basically this, minus the drive. That's how I view it; I'm interested in the base model as a sport tourer replacement for the FJ-09. If it's a little better on logging roads than the FJ that's nice, but not a key criteria for me. 

It's probably safe to say we won't see shaft drive from H-D anytime soon. I'm personally not interested in belt drive, but I know it appeals to some people and it's in H-D's wheelhouse. 

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, keithu said:

I think the base model with the cast wheels is basically this, minus the drive.

This ^^. I am sure you can ST on this thing. Certainly has the power for it, and ergonomics would work too. OEM case and pannier options look pretty good. Aftermarket should respond well if the entry has good traction.

Edited by piotrek

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

It is definitely interesting. This is one I'd really like to see available for rent from Eagle Rider. If wide spread at ER, it could finally give a chance for a decent ST rental at the 100-200 USA locations of Eagle Rider. It could be an exciting development.

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
10 hours ago, keithu said:

I'm interested in the base model as a sport tourer replacement for the FJ-09. If it's a little better on logging roads than the FJ that's nice, but not a key criteria for me.

Even without the semi-active electronic suspension, the base model still has manual fully adjustable front and rear suspension. 👍

This article published today explains all of the differences between the two models.

EDV6TLUU4VDL5PDNED6LWJN3LI.jpg

Harley’s long-awaited Pan America comes in two flavors—the Standard and...

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

As a Harley XR1200 rider (there are a few of us on this forum these days) I can say that it is possible to own and ride a Harley-Davidson without being a "Harley rider".  The pirate ship jockeys want nothing to do with the XR or the people that ride it, which is more than fine with most of the folks on that red-headed stepchild of the H-D family.  Many have never, and would never, own or ride any traditional Hog.  I can't tell you how many disparaging remarks I've made over the years about Harleys and their pilots, but somehow I ended up riding, and enjoying, one for the last 6 years.  As a result, I have followed the development of the Pan America for the past couple of years, and I am happy to see H-D make a genuine attempt to build a bike with actual 21st century technology.  I expect there will be even less overlap between Harley's cruiser cult and those who will buy and ride the PA than there was with the XR, and I don't think much of the stigma will transfer over either.  

Having said all that, I also think that it looks like it was designed in the Battlestar Galactica prop department.  But if it works like it's intended to, and honestly I hope it does, I doubt anyone will give you side-eye because it's a Harley. H-D's challenge is that they are introducing a bike that their base market won't have any interest in because it isn't their idea of a Harley, and if the rest of the motorcycling world isn't interested in it BECAUSE it's a Harley, they're in big trouble.  It's already happened with the V-Rod and indeed with the XR.  We shall see!  In the meantime, I am looking forward to returning to the reliable world of Yamaha with my as yet unridden Tracer 900.  I will miss the belt drive, though.  My maintenance on the XR's final drive over the past 7000 km has been, um, zero.  H-D has had one or two good ideas over the years...

• Thumbsup 7

2 hours ago, gerrychuck said:

I can say that it is possible to own and ride a Harley-Davidson without being a "Harley rider".

You make many good points that I agree with. I would never criticise anyone for their choice of bike the important thing is that it does it for you and that you get what you want from it whether it be a round world tour or a couple of hours with the chrome polish in the garage to escape from the wife. On the looks of the HD I  Pan America I will know what it is as It passes me from behind or comes towards me, that look is distinctive. I won't be thinking was that a Yamonasaky 900. I think that most major manufacturers tend to follow the herd in the looks department and play it safe so they don't turn off their buyers.

• Thumbsup 1

Personally, I think it looks pretty good. Yes, it's different, but I think it makes sense when you put it next to Harley's other bikes. The overall shapes work. The adventure bike market is full of fugly bikes (a lot of people think the Tracer/FJ-09 is ugly). The GS, Tiger, Multistrada, Tenere, and Africa Twin are all pretty ugly. To me, the Pan Am looks clean (no crazy angles, extra plastic bits, or beak), and everything serves a purpose. With Harley's reputation for build quality (Street series excluded), I expect the fit and finish to be top notch.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, betoney said:

Even without the semi-active electronic suspension, the base model still has manual fully adjustable front and rear suspension. 👍

The only things on the Special I'd consider mandatory are the heated grips and centerstand, and presumably they'll be available from the accessory catalog. TPMS would be kind of nice too, but like the active suspension I think I can live without it. The cast wheels are fine with me. 

Of course, if the accessory heated grips and centerstand bring the price difference to <$1k, maybe it would be worthwhile to just get the Special anyway. 🤨

I'm definitely not buying anything until next winter so I've got plenty of time to think about it. And maybe some other squirrel will run by and distract me before then. 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member
11 minutes ago, keithu said:

The only things on the Special I'd consider mandatory are the heated grips and centerstand, and presumably they'll be available from the accessory catalog. TPMS would be kind of nice too, but like the active suspension I think I can live without it. The cast wheels are fine with me. 

Of course, if the accessory heated grips and centerstand bring the price difference to <$1k, maybe it would be worthwhile to just get the Special anyway. 🤨

I'm definitely not buying anything until next winter so I've got plenty of time to think about it. And maybe some other squirrel will run by and distract me before then. 

I would love to see Charley and Ewan redo "Long Way Up" with the Pan America vs the Livewire... 🙄

• Thumbsup 7

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, draco_1967 said:

Personally, I think it looks pretty good. Yes, it's different, but I think it makes sense when you put it next to Harley's other bikes. The overall shapes work. The adventure bike market is full of fugly bikes (a lot of people think the Tracer/FJ-09 is ugly). The GS, Tiger, Multistrada, Tenere, and Africa Twin are all pretty ugly. To me, the Pan Am looks clean (no crazy angles, extra plastic bits, or beak), and everything serves a purpose. With Harley's reputation for build quality (Street series excluded), I expect the fit and finish to be top notch.

I agree it's distinctive, lacks frivolous nonfunctional bits (like the FJ/TRACER fake air intake scoops front and side that do nothing but catch bugs), and has no beak!  What a useless proboscis extension!

I hope they sell well and will consider one in another 60k miles (my 15 FJ I bought in 16 now only has 45k due to work and health issues) or 4 years whichever comes first.  If I make it to 71 and can still ride.

• Thumbsup 2

9 hours ago, HGP61 said:

On the looks of the HD I  Pan America I will know what it is as It passes me from behind or comes towards me, that look is distinctive. I won't be thinking was that a Yamonasaky 900. 

Very true, and a very valid point. It most definitely is not a "me-too" bike and H-D is to be commended for that. Likewise, Draco_1967's point that most ADV bikes are fugly, particularly those hideous beaks, is also undeniably true, so why not separate yourself from the pack?  More and more, I admire Harley for this machine. I hope they eventually build the Bronx, too, which I think is a great looking bike right out of the box.

• Thumbsup 3

• Supporting Member
14 minutes ago, gerrychuck said:

More and more, I admire Harley for this machine. I hope they eventually build the Bronx, too, which I think is a great looking bike right out of the box.

I will admit to being 'anti-Harley' for as long as I can remember, so for the Pan America or Bronx to capture my interest and curiosity is as shocking and surprising to myself as it is to many riders seeing this new bike now.  Hats off to Harley Davidson for shaking up the market segment and more importantly not introducing it at $30K.