Has anyone tried one of these windshield “spoilers”

On my Tracer the buffeting is pretty bad, as discussed, but I have noticed that as far noise while listening to music and phone conversations it’s better than it was on my FJR with the screen in the highest position. That said, I’m wondering if anyone has tried one of these, or something similar on the factory windshield. Thanks...

image.thumb.png.09ec70900e87674f07e0b4d6dce15015.png

image.jpeg

Hi Tim,

I'm 6'2" and like the seat in the upper position.  Stock shield did not do it for me so I tried the spoiler method but honestly was just a waste of money for me.  Could not get it to work at any angle.  I finally bit the bullet and bought a madstad 26".  Much better and helpful for long highway rides for sure.

Others may have had better experiences but this is my take.

Cheers,

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, Just-Tim said:

On my Tracer the buffeting is pretty bad, as discussed, but I have noticed that as far noise while listening to music and phone conversations it’s better than it was on my FJR with the screen in the highest position. That said, I’m wondering if anyone has tried one of these, or something similar on the factory windshield. Thanks...

image.thumb.png.09ec70900e87674f07e0b4d6dce15015.png

I have the model you posted and also decided to buy the cheap eBay version as a comparison.  The eBay version -IMHO- is built better, has a slightly larger surface area, is more effective at shielding wind and is 5x cheaper.

It doesn't block all of the wind but then I'm on a motorcycle, I WANT to feel some wind.  I use it in the coldest months but once it gets warm, I switch the entire screen to a mini flyscreen.

s-l400.jpg

Package included: 1PC X windshield Installation instruction not included...

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Absolutely! This was a game changer for me. I tossed the stock shield and went with a larger touring shield from National. I'm 6'2" and the top of that screen still sits well below my line of sight down to the road. I found with that alone that I was still getting a lot of buffeting. Fearing needing to buy a whole new screen, I got a spoiler from Pazoma. Works perfectly. I now get only smooth air over the shield and no buffeting. I can ride with my shield up or down, and the spoiler itself can be adjusted. I've found the happy balance on my bike. Smooth as butter at any speed. Your experience may vary! 

I was planning on buying a Madstad windshield but decided to try a cheap windshield spoiler sold on amazon.  After playing with different positions on the stock windshield, I found a setting that made the buffeting acceptable.  I'm sure the Madstad would be much better but decided this is OK.  I also wanted to get rid of the uncomfortable seat.  Having no way to try different brands and just rely on opinions, I decided to try the relatively cheap Airhawk air cushion.  You know what, I'm sure a good seat would be better, but the cushion made the ride acceptable.  Just my 2 cents.  

Edited by Campsaw
  • Thumbsup 1

I have one of these on the GIVI aftermarket screen fitted to my MT-09 SP.   Makes a useful improvement.

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

I'm 6' 2" tall and found the stock screen acceptable for wind protection but the noise from the deflected air stream was a killer. I installed one of the cheep smaller deflectors with the single attachment point which cured my issues with the noise. If you have the same problem, hold your hand up over the screen while you are on the road as if it was a small deflector. If that changes things to the point you can live with it, it is a much cheaper solution.

I did have a Madstad installed on both my Vstrom and Tiger 1050 and they are great but damn expensive. 

I also love using my Pueg fly screen with the handguards removed in warmer weather.

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member

I have the X-Creen Tour bolted to my 22" Madstad. The Madstad is very good on it's own, but the spoiler makes the setup so much easier to tune and control, and I already had it from a previous screen (Kappa) so I just re-used it. Absolutely a good thing to try first, before investing in a new screen IMO. It might just do the trick, and is portable to another screen if needed. A knock-off might work just as well.

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

Yes, but to fully maximize their function they have to overlap the windshield. IOW, it's not necessarily a windshield extension, it's a splitter of the wind stream to decrease buffeting. 

• Thumbsup 1

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

• Supporting Member
47 minutes ago, maximo said:

Yes, but to fully maximize their function they have to overlap the windshield. IOW, it's not necessarily a windshield extension, it's a splitter of the wind stream to decrease buffeting. 

Yes... correct, although I have mine extend a bit above the main screen, but still parallel with it.

20200731_181433.thumb.jpg.0b99e7693d5399c24c5d0d7c52a71ccd.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

1 hour ago, piotrek said:

Yes... correct, although I have mine extend a bit above the main screen, but still parallel with it.

20200731_181433.thumb.jpg.0b99e7693d5399c24c5d0d7c52a71ccd.jpg

This position is exactly how I have mine. Lots of trial and error always results in this setting. 

• Thumbsup 1

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

8 hours ago, mike said:

I'm 6' 2" tall and found the stock screen acceptable for wind protection but the noise from the deflected air stream was a killer. I installed one of the cheep smaller deflectors with the single attachment point which cured my issues with the noise. If you have the same problem, hold your hand up over the screen while you are on the road as if it was a small deflector. If that changes things to the point you can live with it, it is a much cheaper solution.

I did have a Madstad installed on both my Vstrom and Tiger 1050 and they are great but damn expensive. 

I also love using my Pueg fly screen with the handguards removed in warmer weather.

I did exactly that. My finger are roughly a 3.5” extension and made a big difference. 

Thanks!

I’ve had it on previous V Stroms and now attached to Vstream windscreen on my FJ. It works. I would never paid $120 for it tough.