Foam Grip "Puppies"

11 minutes ago, Garz747 said:

Just wondering if any forum members have used foam grip covers and if they offered comfort benefit, how long they lasted, etc. Also how was the fit on the Tracer handlebars?

I use them and like them, noticed less vibration on the bars, I think they're worth it.

Fit was just fine on the bike, I used the air compressor method you can find on Youtube, went on in a minute and didn't have to deal with the soapy mess.

• Thumbsup 1

8 minutes ago, Garz747 said:

Just wondering if any forum members have used foam grip covers and if they offered comfort benefit, how long they lasted, etc. Also how was the fit on the Tracer handlebars?

They work great, fit well and make a big difference. My main reason for purchase was two fold, reduce vibration fatigue and increase leverage to turn the throttle.

However, I have small child's hands and had to remove them after a season as I didn't feel I had as firm as grip when doing dank nooners. (Apparently this is what the kids call wheelies now)

I have since filled my handlebars with lead shot, reduced my throttle return spring, and added a throttle tamer. Long trip but for me, was better than grip puppies.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
44 minutes ago, Ride365 said:

These are the best out there...yes I have tried them all, and these are the ones to get.

They mention a "Lites" version is available but don't say what it is... any idea?

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I use the foam Grip Puppies brand and really like them.  I have about 6,000 miles on the current set and they do not show any wear.  Trick for putting them on - don't laugh at me (I leaned this from someone else brave enough to share).  The magic answer is Aqua Net.  This cheapest of all hair sprays lubricates just right, then creates a weak glue to hold Grip Puppies in place.  You can still remove them easily and don't have residue after, either.  Try the Grip Puppy-hair spray trick secretly if you must - I bet you will thank me later.  

Ride Safe - - -

My bike came with grip puppies, so I don't know any different. My bike is at 35k kms, 20k of which I put on myself so I'd say they stand the test of time pretty well! 

Thinking back to my SV650, there less vibrations for sure, but the thing I like the most is it makes the controls much thicker. I have XL hands, so it feels much more comfortable with a thicket grip. I've ridden friends bikes and now they feel too skinny haha

I have used both the Grip Puppies and Grip Buddies on my 'Wing. I think the Puppies are easier to install, especially with the air compressor method, and they look better. But despite the weird look of the seam on the Buddies, they're the better option IMHO. They are more comfortable to me, and allow heat from the handlebars to come through more consistently. The Puppies also got *soaked* in the rain and felt mushy. They are both "wear and tear" items and will eventually need to be replaced with age, so try whichever one you feel would work best for you, and if after a couple of seasons you don't like them, then you can try the other. Neither are particularly expensive.

Having said all of that, I think I would put the Puppies on my Tracer as I don't use the heat as often on this bike, and I feel like the foam would soften out the vibrations a bit better (strictly speculating on this, as the old man bike I primarily ride doesn't have any vibration to speak of).

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, betoney said:

They mention a "Lites" version is available but don't say what it is... any idea?

image.thumb.png.63a43b7208619acf539bc372747a1557.png

Here u go. They are really the best. I went through a set at around 30000 kms.

Am on my 2nd set now. Very comfortable!

• Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 1

Put a set on my BMW F800GT to help with vibrations.  Used the compressed air technique not too hard to put on.  Had 26,000 miles over 26 months with them and no problems.  Rode in all kinds of weather and they did just fine.  Took a while to get used to the extra size but no problems.  Did not put them on my Tracer GT as the vibration is not that bad.  

Tried the Grip Buddies. I really loved the material, but I HATED HATED HATED the velcro and seam. YMMV; somehow this doesn't bug a lot of people. I really wish they would find a way to make a tubular version. The material is indeed superior to the Grip Puppies, but...

Anyway, my bikes are usually wearing Grip Puppies.

And yes, they are an expendable item. I usually remove my Grip Puppies in winter for maximum grip heat transmission, and because I don't ride nearly as far in winter so the comfort functions aren't as essential. Plus I'm always wearing heavier gloves when its cold.

Red 2015 FJ-09, among other things. Co-Host of The Riding Obsession, a Sport-Touring Motorcycling Podcast

I don't feel or notice the grip buddies seams, I either installed them correctly or just used to it. :) Heated grips work amazing through the buddies, and closed cell means unlike the puppies they don't get water logged.

• Thumbsup 2

After todays ride , again  the stock bar grips  definitely feel  too small in diameter. Will be ordering next week.

Edited by Garz747
  • Thumbsup 1