Well, after 6 years and 30,000 miles of fun I finally hit a pot hole and bent the rear wheel on this bike. Actually this is the first wheel on any car or bike I have ever bent. I have seen a few posts on here before about wheel repair just curious if anyone has ever actually done it?

I called around the Chicago area and no one seems to repair motorcycle wheels, even the companies that advertised online that they repair motorcycle wheels said they don't when I called. I tried a couple of the local motorcycle shops and they said no. 

I don't see any wheels for sale in the For Sale threads right now. There are some on ebay that I'm watching, although that is a gamble. 

a.jpeg

• Confused 1

I used these guys on a BMW front wheel that looked exactly like yours. Perfect job, you couldn't tell it had ever had any damage. I' don't know how they straighten wheels without damaging the paint but it must be possible. Their website sucks and it was over a decade ago but might be worth a call.

Wellll, that sucks.

FWIW, I'm showing $351.05 for a new wheel from my preferred purveyor of Yamaha bits.

This is the online parts sales arm of a dealer near me:

Shop online for OEM Rear Wheel parts that fit your 2015 Yamaha FJ09...

It will come without bearings or valve stem, and you'll need to transplant your rotor of course, but your worst case is $400-ish all-in for a fresh wheel in perfect condition, likely in your hands in under a week. Could be worse.

That appears to be the sort of bend I've seen repaired successfully, but you'll need to do without the bike for at least a few weeks and deal with shipping both ways. Plus, the process damages the paint or powder coat when they heat up the aluminum, so the wheel will need to be refinished.

Our few short weeks of Midwest riding season are here, so honestly I'd just do the fastest sure thing, buying a new wheel.

Yes I would try Ebay first. I bet it would be around 300 or more to take that bend out. Make sure you ask for the run outs if you buy from Ebay or at least a return policy. I found a used front for the GSXR for 70 and it was perfect. I looked for quite sometime. It seamed every wheel listed had a slight wobble or bend and they wanted silly prices.

• Premium Member

I bought a wheel off ebay last year. Low miles and had the bearings. It was cheaper than factory and there wasn't a 3 month wait. You can use wheels off of FJ's, Fz 07 and 09, and the xsr's.

• Thumbsup 2

Let’s go Brandon

• Supporting Member
34 minutes ago, micah2074 said:

I bought a wheel off ebay last year. Low miles and had the bearings. It was cheaper than factory and there wasn't a 3 month wait. You can use wheels off of FJ's, Fz 07 and 09, and the xsr's.

I did the same, I am currently using a rear wheel from a newer MT09 that I bought on eBay, they are all interchangeable.  It came with bearings and rotor and a relatively new Bridgestone S20 sport tire for less than $300.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I have repaired worse myself (but do so understanding the risks) and not had a problem.

Either some pieces of rounded hardwood or better some rounded nylon blocks. One on the side to strike and one on the other side of the buckle. Use a 20oz hammer on the blacks. You'll be able to get that back to almost where it should be (but not quite as it has yielded). My daily NC700 has had a repaired buckle for 40,000 and is fine. Tyres seal and it hasnt cracked. Cheaper than finding someone and easy enough.

Edited by pilninggas
  • Thumbsup 1

Thanks all for the input.

I have searched Ebay and found a wheel with enough photos and description that I believe it is straight and has no issues. However, I have to swap everything over from my wheel as it is just the wheel. I did call about repair and they were helpful but the cost was understandably too high. Hopefully I'll be back to riding in a week or so.

• Thumbsup 1

On 5/7/2021 at 9:16 PM, Ride365 said:

Few short weeks of Midwest riding season? 🤨

Well, it sure seems like a few short weeks to me, and winters last yeeeeeeeeearrs.

OP is in Chicago, so I can't figure out how he stays sane at all.