Will the 2022 GT9 have significantly less bugs?

As my legion of followers know, I'm Jonesing for the 2021 GT9 - leastwise when it shows up on my shores.

Now I don't *need* to get the 2021 as my current bike is running just fine and it'll likely run fine for the next 12 months at least. IOWs, I'm in the "want" not "need" category.

My question to the hive mind is this: Given that the 2021 GT9 is much more like a new bike than an evolution of the previous tracer, will it suffer from new-model bugs and glitches? As a consequence, will the 2022 likely have a lot of little fixes and changes that Mr Yamaha learns about over the course of the 2021 model once it's ridden in the real world?

Now I come from the software world, so we expect early versions to be full of bugs with lots of fixes scheduled for the second and subsequent releases. I know that vehicle manufacturers are far less blasé about their first release than we software bods, but still, first-release models do have a bit of a reputation for glitches, flaws and oversights which are fixed in later models.

Having said that I don't really recall a lot of first-year motorbikes having serious problems, so maybe I'm being paranoid for no good reason?

So what say you? If you could wait for 2022 would you wait? Do you have experience of first-year glitches with new models?

Edited by ZigMerid

Hi ZigMerid

Early adopters always pay the price of blazing the trail.  I had one of the first GTs in the uk in 2018. First up, the Tracer GT is a fantastic bike and all the tests bore this out. However, magazine road tests rarely tell you the whole story such as the dreadful seat and screen.  The quickshifter that is only useful between 4th, 5th and 6th gears- up only. My bike had to be returned to dealer because both front discs warped; a problem I’ve not seen since on this forum. They were changed under warranty. Fasteners rot before your eyes. Finally, there is no such thing as the perfect bike which we why we all like to tweak and, to borrow a phrase from our dear friend Wordsmith, “farkle” our bikes (when the wife’s not looking at the bills). 

So so my advice would be to jump in with both feet. You will end up spending more than you bargained for but you’ll not regret buying one of the biggest selling bikes in history. 

I would not be concerned with issues due to it being a new model.  If you want it and have the money to buy it.......jump in.

• Thumbsup 2

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

If I were in your shoes, I would go for it.  One of the more irritating aspects of buying a new generation of an established bike is that undoubtedly, many of the aftermarket goodies are not likely to fit on the new bike. That's not always true, but generally is true. So if things light auxiliary bight brackets and similar precision-fit goodies are important to you, you'll need to accept the fact that the aftermarket is frequently a year (or more) behind the release of the bike, before you start to see them available.

As far as bug concerns - those are a possibility, so it's a bit of the roll of the dice. You do have quite a few new systems on the bike that not trivial; some are pretty complex, such as the electronic suspension. Yamaha has significant experience with electronic suspension from the FJR-ES models that have been in existence for a good few years now, Me, I would expect the Electronic Suspension for be pretty good.  But again, who knows... it's all part of the procurement adventure! :) 

43 minutes ago, daboo said:

As you can see, we'll all be glad to help you spend your hard-earned money.  :D:D:D

Chris

Yes, I had noticed that trend in the responses. Not one person suggested waiting. Surprise, surprise surprise.

A bit like asking my puppy dog whether it wants to eat now or later. Later is never an option. O:-)

• Haha 1

My first opinion is to wait and buy one that is a year old.  Let the first owner pay the first year's huge depreciation hit.  The bike will still be virtually new and you'll even get to keep his farkles.

Just reading about the new model makes it seem like it is a good upgrade...but the old model wasn't so bad at all.  And I think the new one is ugly.  But that's just my opinion.

Chris

Edited by daboo

These bikes have easily been some of the most overall reliable and bug free out there, so I have no doubts that Yamaha will have any real first year bugs with the new design. ;) V-Stroms are notorious for being reliable bikes, but compare this forum to the Strom forums and it's very apparent to me these are much more reliable machines. 

• Thumbsup 2

20 minutes ago, Ride365 said:

These bikes have easily been some of the most overall reliable and bug free out there, so I have no doubts that Yamaha will have any real first year bugs with the new design. ;) V-Stroms are notorious for being reliable bikes, but compare this forum to the Strom forums and it's very apparent to me these are much more reliable machines. 

?

15 hours ago, Rick123 said:

?

Stromtrooper has about 10X more problem stickies/threads and such than here, the Stroms have had plenty of ailments and annoying problems over the years in comparison to the FJ-09 and Tracers. I am still a fan of the Stroms as I obviously know you are, but I don't see myself ever buying another. Yamaha appears to be much more receptive, proactive and willing to fix issues in comparison to all the big 4 Japanese brands.