2021 Tracer 9 GT 160mi First Impressions; is it worth the upgrade?

• Premium Member

"The QS does not let you down shift unless you are off of the throttle."

This makes no sense, I get holding steady or backing off  but OFF throttle?

So if I have the fastest red 15 with slipper, McCruise, Razor R & front forks massaged, Flash, case guards, Sargent, Shad SH36 & SH46 top cases, Street naked bars, 3 screens, modified QR screen adjuster, skid plate, and many many more mods, it's not worth upgrading?  But for $15k, I'd maybe look for a used full optioned S1000XR...

• Supporting Member
5 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

"The QS does not let you down shift unless you are off of the throttle."

This makes no sense, I get holding steady or backing off  but OFF throttle?

So if I have the fastest red 15 with slipper, McCruise, Razor R & front forks massaged, Flash, case guards, Sargent, Shad SH36 & SH46 top cases, Street naked bars, and many many more mods, it's not worh upgrading?  But for $15k, I'd maybe look for a used S1000XR...

Yes it is a bit baffling, not sure if other bikes are this way too. This is my first bike with both up and down QS.

I did a deep dive into the BMW S1000XR when looking at bikes at sat on a 2016 before I put my deposit down on the r1250r. Issues I found were handlebar buzz is bad until 2018 when they revised the handlebar bushings. Then the 2020 revision came with a new seat that is generally viewed as uncomfortable and puts you in a seating position "in" the bike instead of "on" it. So the magical beast would be a 2018 S1000XR for <$15K 😎

Sounds like you got your fudge-9 sorted just the way you want it though.

• Thumbsup 1

congrats on the new bike! sounds like a huge upgrade from the 2015. thinking out loud here, maybe there's a way to swap the newer forks and shock onto the older FJ09s from a crashed bike? similar to how sv650s swap on GSXR suspension?

I have been contemplating a move to a 21 this week. Some of what you touched on has me re-thinking that decision. My current bike is a 2020 Tracer which I only wanted to move on from to a 21 just for the new electronics package. Not crazy about the new look on the 21s. Absolutely mothing wrong with my 2020 at the moment.

Thanks for the quick and informative review from a previous owners stand point.

15 hours ago, jthayer09 said:

Brakes

I think these needs to be worn-in, they're really bad until about the 130mi mark when I noticed them start having bite.

I only have 50 miles on mine so far and I feel the same about the brakes. The rear was almost non existent to start with! By the end of the 50 though there was a marked improvement but not enough to say they are good yet. 

• Supporting Member

Nice one. 👍🏻

That was a very interesting read. Thanks for that.

Mmm. Will I or won't I ??

2019 900 GT, 1969 Honda S90

• Premium Member

I have never been impressed with Yamaha brakes.  How can they put GG pads on a motor like the CP3?!!!

This year they went to a radial MC but still the same calipers and small rotors.  The Brembo radial MC & 320 rotors off an older (14) R1 cost under 350 new plus Speigler lines, which a de regure regardless, along with HH+ pads (EBC are cheapest but Vesrah, Ferodo, Braking, Galfer, etc all make fine stuff) are head and shoulders above even the 21 binder system.

I like a bit of travel which imparts more feel.  My setup is 2 finger and stoppies are easy even with the ABS.  Rear is OK cuz I use it only to balance turn-in with trail braking but HH+ may be too much in back.  Adjust the pedal to taste.  Different lever are nice too, as the clutch lever is fixed and needs to match the brake.  I've been lucky with the Chicom levers but micro adjusters they're not.

20181106_194002.jpg

20210330_174522.jpg

20210330_174528.jpg

20210330_174600.jpg

20210330_174656.jpg

20210330_174725.jpg

20210330_174732.jpg

20210330_174744.jpg

20210330_174756.jpg

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

I have never been impressed with Yamaha brakes.  How can they put GG pads on a motor like the CP3?!!!

This year they went to a radial MC but still the same calipers and small rotors.

Agreed, when the FJ-09 & MT-09 were released they were "value" bikes and a 298mm rotor was acceptable as they were built to a price. 

I wouldn't consider the T9GT in the "value" segment anymore and it's unacceptable that it doesn't come with bigger rotors; the Ninja 400 comes with a 310mm rotor... even if it's only 1, still.