• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 32 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Paralyzed by windshield choices…

Which screen?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Which screen?

• OEM Touring
    • CalSci Medium (looks TERRIBLE!!!)
    • CalSci Shorty
    • V Stream Sport Touring
    • V Stream Shorty
    • Puig Touring
    • Puig Shorty
    • MRA Touring
    • MRA Shorty

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, OldBikers said:

This is interesting as I have the stock Tracer 9 screen and I am 5'9".  I find that this screen gives me more wind protection than all the other screens I've used on several bikes.  Almost all the wind noise is generated by my helmet, if I tilt my head down a bit the noise fades away.  I have my screen in about the middle position which seems to work the best.  I tried the MRA spoiler but it made a lot of buffeting in most positions.

The best screen I had was on a Windjammer fairing and it was huge, sort of like a GoldWing. 

Have you shrunk you seem taller than that to me LOL

I can't remember if you wear ear plugs

Maybe a spoiler would be just the ticket for your stock screen

then No need to tilt your head

I can't remember if you rode last weekend or not

I got a Calsci medium screen with my bike when I purchased it and it will be for sale soon! I like the stock screen much better. May try a shorter tinted screen for the summer months. I too, get a lot of noise from my helmet. Looks like I just got another reason to buy a new helmet!

2020 Tracer 900GT /1978 Suzuki GS750E /1978 Suzuki GS1000 /1982 Suzuki GS1100E /1999 Honda GL1500SE

21 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Have you shrunk you seem taller than that to me LOL

I can't remember if you wear ear plugs

Maybe a spoiler would be just the ticket for your stock screen

then No need to tilt your head

I can't remember if you rode last weekend or not

Yes, I'm shrinking as I age.

I tried the spoiler in various angles and it didn't eliminate the wind noise generated by my helmet, that's why I tried changing my head position as a test.  Now my screen is in the middle position so I should try it in the lowest and highest to compare and change the head position as well.

The Nolan 100-5 is a "quiet" helmet for a modular but all modulars impart some wind noise.  The worst for noise is my AGV full face, with the vents open it sounds like a jet plane landing.

I did get out to a tiny ride before the rain came in.

3 hours ago, OldBikers said:

Yes, I'm shrinking as I age.

I tried the spoiler in various angles and it didn't eliminate the wind noise generated by my helmet, that's why I tried changing my head position as a test.  Now my screen is in the middle position so I should try it in the lowest and highest to compare and change the head position as well.

Quietest ride I ever had was a naked bike with no windscreen. After I sold my BMW S1000R and got the Tracer, one of the first mods was to get the tiniest windscreen I could find. Excellent. My other windscreen is the stock one with a lip which is actually quieter than my other bike, so it is acceptable for cooler weather.

Regards, Grumpy Goat | 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT & 2016 BMW R1200RS

• Supporting Member
7 hours ago, Grumpy Goat said:

After I sold my BMW S1000R and got the Tracer, one of the first mods was to get the tiniest windscreen I could find. Excellent.

I cut short an Ermax Sport screen over the summer, and it worked well with my Madstad bracket (had to drill new holes). I managed to crack it by trying to make it more gooder... so I will be looking for another sacrificial screen (eBay) to modify. The Madstad screen with a spoiler is fantastic in all weather really, but the shorty somehow makes it more fun on daily rides in the summer heat.

Edited by piotrek
  • Thumbsup 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

I finally settled on a great combo.....I am now using the Madstad sport screen and changed out my mirrors for some bar end ones (got the set up from Rottwieler).  Keeps all the wind off my chest and very smooth on the helmet with zero buffeting.  Decent wind noise at highway speeds but ear plugs fix that.  I also will keep the 26" screen for trips.  Bike looks great I think...pics below:

Screen1.jpg

screen2.jpg

screen3.jpg

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member

Do you mean the OEM mirrors add turbulence and noise?  I added mirror extenders from practically day 1 but have never ridden with out them.  Depending on weather and my mood, I run an inexpensive OEM size Chinese DB screen with a central support spoiler, the Givi barn door touring screen with the dual support, bolt-on MRW Xcreen Tour spoiler, and a little opaque Chinese "bikini" screen.  All work well, with the two larger screens becoming a bit noisy with nominal buffeting when the winds are blowing from the rear or certain side angles.

20210702_173701.jpg

20191224_133741.jpg

20181014_135839.jpg

20170704_185801.jpg

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, CRFan250 said:

I am now using the Madstad sport screen...

That looks nice on the bike, and I assume it works well... is that Sport SD 16"? Somewhat similar to the Parabellum Flyscreen. I might give one of these a try. The Madstad screen would fit the bracket out of the box... at a $40 premium. 🤔

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

16 hours ago, piotrek said:

That looks nice on the bike, and I assume it works well... is that Sport SD 16"? Somewhat similar to the Parabellum Flyscreen. I might give one of these a try. The Madstad screen would fit the bracket out of the box... at a $40 premium. 🤔

Thanks and yes it work surprisingly well.  It keeps all the wind off your chest and no buffeting at all.  I believe it is 16".  I just played with the height until I found a sweet spot for me.

• Thumbsup 1

• 4 weeks later...

I picked up the 2021 In July and noticed that when riding it home on the X-way, the noise became very bad from about 55MPH and up, not matter which position. Found that the problem is the cutouts near the bottom on each side that allows the wind to converge over the gas tank. I installed a vario type top piece, and when positioned low to force the air down across the shield it cuts out quite a bit of the noise. Raising to a high position really does nothing. I'm on the slab a lot and find that the low bracket position with the vario piece in the position described works best. Will get a picture posted. 

• Thumbsup 1