• CalSci Medium (looks TERRIBLE!!!)
    • CalSci Shorty
    • V Stream Sport Touring
    • V Stream Shorty
    • Puig Touring
    • Puig Shorty
    • MRA Touring
    • MRA Shorty

@pokey074 In case this helps.......if you want this on a different post, let me know. I'm not trying to hijack, just wanted to provide my input.

So I recently tested both PUIG's - the sport and touring. I'm 6'2" and have the seat in the low position. The touring model is huge. So huge that it requires two hands to adjust it up and down (too heavy for the bracket). In either position, going over 65, it's unusable for me. It does a good job of moving the wind up and over but the noise is thunderous. It sounds like I'm behind an F16 engine. If I stand up, it's absolutely glorious - quiet and smooth. If I duck down a smidge, it sounds like a rigid plastic sheet flapping in the wind. It's the wind hitting the visor/helmet and not a noise emanating from the screen. So I chose to slow down (I use earplugs, full face AGV K5) and get off the freeway due to the noise. Other than that, it worked great.

I'm going to re-test the sport screen at lunch this week and see how it goes. And a nice member will let me try his MRA. I also may look into that bolt-on for the PUIG touring.

Edited by jamespz03

Remove the windscreen and try once. If you like it, all you have to do it chop it .

Worked for me and many others.

Its the same as getting a sport screen by puig or mra

• Premium Member

I am 6' 3" with a long torso. I tried both the V-Stream sport touring (medium) and touring (large). They were a little better than stock, but still pretty noisy. Earplugs were mandatory. Now I have a 26" Madstad and it's far better IMO. I usually ride without earplugs now, airflow is pretty smooth and quiet. The Madstad is expensive but worth it.

• Thumbsup 4

Well, test #1 is complete.

Since I had such great luck with the OEM touring screen on my old FZ1, I ordered the OEM touring screen for the Tracer.

That was not money well spent.

In town, I think it actually increased wind noise. At highway speeds (55-65mph) it gave me some helmet buffeting. (My definition of buffeting: feeling like my head is in a B-17 bomber.) The weird thing is, at interstate speeds (80mph) it worked really well. Unfortunately, I try to stay off the interstate and stick to secondary highways.

I'm also wondering if the mounting system is up to the task of supporting a big screen. Seems pretty chintzy. 

So, now I guess I'll sell the OEM touring screen and figure out what to try next. I'm actually leaning towards the Puig shorty racing screen.

• Thumbsup 1

On 7/8/2021 at 7:29 PM, betoney said:

Just based on shape alone, that curved shape looks like it would provide a smooth and relatively quiet flow of air.

It does! I have it on the bike now and love it.

• Thumbsup 1

You will spend a lot of money chasing different screens...believe me I know, lol.  At the end of the day, the Madstad is the clear winner so just buy that instead of spending on several different screens, hehe.

• Thumbsup 3

11 hours ago, pokey074 said:

So, now I guess I'll sell the OEM touring screen and figure out what to try next. I'm actually leaning towards the Puig shorty racing screen.

I put some masking tape over the holes and reused the screws from my other screen so I could return it if I didn't like the MRA. I also bought a bag of nylon washers but they were included as well. I think it would still look brand new after some careful cleaning, but I'm keeping it so I can't put that to the test.

If you buy from the right shop you should be able to try some screens without taking a hit every time.

4 hours ago, CRFan250 said:

You will spend a lot of money chasing different screens...believe me I know, lol.  At the end of the day, the Madstad is the clear winner so just buy that instead of spending on several different screens, hehe.

Madstad gets a lot of love from their owners but to me a screen has to have at least a minimum score of "I can live with that look if it works". The Puig touring barely passes but the Madstad fails. I was amazed how happy it made me to have the Puig barn door of the bike. It felt like new-bike-day all over again. When I think about it, it's not that weird. That shape is in your face the whole time you ride while the rest of the bike is invisible.

Not trying to be a dick and bash on an obvious excellent screen, just saying that it's also about taste. I feel that the MRA touring complements the bike perfectly but I'm pretty sure that a lot people will probably find it as ugly as I do the Madstad.

PS. I might buy a Madstad if it was the only other offering and everyone else had the MRA. 👍 😎 Individuality also plays a part.

• Thumbsup 1

18 hours ago, petshark said:

I put some masking tape over the holes and reused the screws from my other screen so I could return it if I didn't like the MRA. I also bought a bag of nylon washers but they were included as well. I think it would still look brand new after some careful cleaning, but I'm keeping it so I can't put that to the test.

If you buy from the right shop you should be able to try some screens without taking a hit every time.

Madstad gets a lot of love from their owners but to me a screen has to have at least a minimum score of "I can live with that look if it works". The Puig touring barely passes but the Madstad fails. I was amazed how happy it made me to have the Puig barn door of the bike. It felt like new-bike-day all over again. When I think about it, it's not that weird. That shape is in your face the whole time you ride while the rest of the bike is invisible.

Not trying to be a dick and bash on an obvious excellent screen, just saying that it's also about taste. I feel that the MRA touring complements the bike perfectly but I'm pretty sure that a lot people will probably find it as ugly as I do the Madstad.

PS. I might buy a Madstad if it was the only other offering and everyone else had the MRA. 👍 😎 Individuality also plays a part.

Yep you are right for sure.  Its funny because I find the Puig touring screen to be uglier then the Madstad...I think it makes the bike look like an alien, haha.  But I am 100% for whatever works for any given person👍

On that note, I have kind of given up making the bike look pretty.  It is not the best looking bike on the planet and this time around and I am making mods that will make the bike work on a long ride.  So with the Madstad, I have a Seth Laam seat coming, lol.  So it may even be more ugly but man I will be riding in complete comfort (I hope)!  If I want pretty and cool I ride my 2010  Ducati1098 Streetfighter, haha :)  

GT1.jpg

Streetfighter.JPG

Edited by CRFan250
  • Thumbsup 1

On 7/14/2021 at 2:17 PM, CRFan250 said:

Yep you are right for sure.  Its funny because I find the Puig touring screen to be uglier then the Madstad...I think it makes the bike look like an alien, haha.  But I am 100% for whatever works for any given person👍

On that note, I have kind of given up making the bike look pretty.  It is not the best looking bike on the planet and this time around and I am making mods that will make the bike work on a long ride.  So with the Madstad, I have a Seth Laam seat coming, lol.  So it may even be more ugly but man I will be riding in complete comfort (I hope)!  If I want pretty and cool I ride my 2010  Ducati1098 Streetfighter, haha :)  

GT1.jpg

How does  that clip on shield work for you on the madstad? Seems like a overkill? Or does it still make a difference 

Edited by Soullancer

2 hours ago, Soullancer said:

How does  that clip on shield work for you on the madstad? Seems like a overkill? Or does it still make a difference 

It made a big difference believe it or not.  It took any remaining buffeting away and made it even quieter.

Test #2 complete.

Bought the MRA touring screen. Managed to lose one of the plastic washers so I had to source a replacement from my local Runnings. Unfortunately it's white instead of black...

I did not install the rim strip. What a giant PITA...

Success. This screen works really good for me. Too bad it looks so goofy with the curve.

Strangely, opposite of the stock screen, the MRA touring works better in the top position. Zero turbulence/buffeting, just clean wind starting about shoulder height. I get a little turbulence in the lower position but it might just be wind noise as I had a different pair of ear plugs in.

One more to test...

Edited by pokey074
  • Thumbsup 1

On 7/14/2021 at 2:17 PM, CRFan250 said:

GT1.jpg

Streetfighter.JPG

I totally get that. If you already have a bike that you find really beautiful then you can go just for comfort on the other one. To me, the tracer is goodlooking and the MRA touring is the perfect screen. But it’s my only bike and I might start to think differently if I owned an Italian-styled machine. For now, I still find them too “look at me” usually but I’m certain that that can change with time. Things like that have happened before. 😀

14 hours ago, pokey074 said:

Test #2 complete.

Bought the MRA touring screen. Managed to lose one of the plastic washers so I had to source a replacement from my local Runnings. Unfortunately it's white instead of black...

I did not install the rim strip. What a giant PITA...

Success. This screen works really good for me. Too bad it looks so goofy with the curve.

Strangely, opposite of the stock screen, the MRA touring works better in the top position. Zero turbulence/buffeting, just clean wind starting about shoulder height. I get a little turbulence in the lower position but it might just be wind noise as I had a different pair of ear plugs in.

One more to test...

Interesting that you find it goofy, to me it looks perfect. I didn’t install the strip neither and wonder if I even got it. Have to check the box but I don’t think I want to.

For me this is the one so I’m curious if you will find anything that you like better.