• CalSci Medium (looks TERRIBLE!!!)
    • CalSci Shorty
    • V Stream Sport Touring
    • V Stream Shorty
    • Puig Touring
    • Puig Shorty
    • MRA Touring
    • MRA Shorty

There are so many threads, and so many choices, I’m nowhere closer to picking a windscreen than I was when I first started researching the 900 GT. 

I need some help from the internet. 

I used to have a gen2 FZ1 that I added an OEM touring screen to. It was great.

My 900 GT, the stock screen is better in the lower position as far as wind noise, but the upper position isn’t quite good enough in the rain.

I’m 5’ 10” - 5’ 11” (177.8 - 180.3 cm) tall with a 33” - 34” (83.8 - 86.3 cm) inseam. I always wear earplugs and a Shoei RF1200 full face.

My previous good luck with OEM is making me seriously consider OEM again, but I’ve read a lot of dissatisfaction. A shorty looks great but I’d like something a little better at keeping rain off my visor/helmet. I like the idea of the vent on the CalSci and found that a vent made a big difference when open on a 2014 Street Glide, but egad are they ugly! As far as Madstad goes, I’m just not willing to spend that much.

Let’s see how the poll turns out…

Edited by pokey074

Even after reading all kinds of reviews, watching videos, etc. It's still a crapshoot.  I go through this with every new bike, and have been fortunate enough to get lucky and usually get it right the first or second try.

I'm trying to decide between the MRA Vario Tour (I've had great success with their bolt on X-creen) and the Puig Tour with Visor.  I also had great luck with Puig screens.  My big problem is that I want my screen to look good as well as function so I'm self limiting myself a bit.

39 minutes ago, Butrzrulz said:

Even after reading all kinds of reviews, watching videos, etc. It's still a crapshoot.  I go through this with every new bike, and have been fortunate enough to get lucky and usually get it right the first or second try.

I'm trying to decide between the MRA Vario Tour (I've had great success with their bolt on X-creen) and the Puig Tour with Visor.  I also had great luck with Puig screens.  My big problem is that I want my screen to look good as well as function so I'm self limiting myself a bit.

Me too, which is why I’m leaning away from the CalSci medium. 

9 hours ago, Butrzrulz said:

I agree. I have a Puig touring with the bolt on X-creen and it works great. I'm 6' and if I drop my head just a little it's almost perfect so a shorter rider may not need the added spoiler. I did just order an MRA Touring just because the Puig works too well when it's hot and does look huge. Just from an esthetic standpoint the MRA is the one that the bike should come IMO with but that is really subjective of course.

I'll just add what I retained from my research, take it with a grain of salt;

1527223952_Screenshot2021-01-04at10_02_29.thumb.jpg.ed16143aa36edcfc0c02119793accb13.jpg-Givi does not do wind tunnel testing so their screens are just designed on looks. They tend to not be very aerodynamic. I bought mine with this Givi on and it was awful. YMMV

69B7CE72-9D40-42A7-BC76-0FD848CE00C6.thumb.jpeg.c76ae459bddc2d5ab2a57a6a1aa3882f.jpeg

-Puig does test extensively and I agree with their data from experience. Personally I don't really like their designs but will choose what works over what looks good every time. My current setup:

IMG_20190721_103639.thumb.jpg.4b489209374696fd09848349927250ca.jpg.bd4f46da7dfeefe9dd15f29a5e59f271.jpg

-MRA looks good and is more expensive than the Italian and Spanish offerings (here in the EU at least) and they also are supposed to be well tested. Mine is in the mail so I can only vouch for their X-creen that I already use (see above). I copied this picture from another user but don't remember who. My apologies.

795872450_Screenshot2020-12-14at20_19_37.thumb.png.c7a4a6325c2f313652acb4d7ce0dd20c.png

-I also had a tall Vstream on my Versys which was as good as the Puig touring. It was a bit taller even and that, with the x-creen, made for open visor rides at any speeds. Didn't much care for the look though:

@pokey074 I voted Puig touring as it is well made, it does it's job, it's not expensive and might work without the spoiler for you. But depending on your priorities there may be better options.

Windscreens are a very personal thing, seems like one person will love a particular screen and someone else will find it totally unsatisfying.  

I'm 5' 10" and have put 11,000 miles on the bike since September.  Have a couple of thousand with OEM and then MRA.  Started with all MRA then added deflector.  Good combination and not expensive.  Back was Madstad but didn't go to it.

Had a Madstad on my BMWF800GT, good but blocked too much wind.  Current MRA touring works well.  got to ride a fair bit in rain on the recent trip.  Did well in the rain, big drops come thru but smaller stuff goes more over but still enough breeze to helms to get some cooling.  Rode in temps to 105, well there was no cooling breeze but windscreen did great.  Only get buffeting at speed around big trucks, always wear earplugs but wind noise is not too bad without for shorter rides.  

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
5 hours ago, petshark said:

IMG_20190721_103639.thumb.jpg.4b489209374696fd09848349927250ca.jpg.bd4f46da7dfeefe9dd15f29a5e59f271.jpg

-MRA looks good and is more expensive than the Italian and Spanish offerings (here in the EU at least) and they also are supposed to be well tested. Mine is in the mail so I can only vouch for their X-creen that I already use (see above). I copied this picture from another user but don't remember who. My apologies.

Just based on shape alone, that curved shape looks like it would provide a smooth and relatively quiet flow of air.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***