• V Stream Sport Touring
    • V Stream Shorty
    • Puig Touring
    • Puig Shorty
    • MRA Touring
    • MRA Shorty

• Supporting Member
On 7/20/2021 at 7:31 AM, Yamajank said:

I tried a Cal Sci shorty and it was terrible. The only place your head didn't get ripped off was right in the middle. Even turning to look slightly one way was torture. 

I think this perfectly highlights the challenge with these bikes… there are a vast number of options for screens, but each person can have a completely different opinion of how each one works.    

Case in point:  I have a Cal Sci shorty on my FJ, and I really like it.   Obviously it didn’t work for you, and I 100% respect your opinion…  it’s your bike, and only you can decide what you like/love/hate.    

I’m 6’1” and have the seat in the tall position, with the screen at the lowest setting.   I do have lower Rizoma handlebar risers installed, so the bars are forward and down about an inch from stock…  this may be the key difference that makes it work for me.   The wind is clean and doesn’t buffet, and with earplugs I’m not bothered by the wind noise.  It’s comfortable at cruising speeds well into the upper-80’s, but the wind starts getting noticeable above 90 mph or so.    Strong crosswinds definitely do sneak in behind the screen, however, and I can feel wind gusts from the side pushing on my helmet.   

I guess I’m more of an ‘in the wind’ rider than a ‘behind the screen’ rider.   Good luck on finding the right one for you!  

-Scott 

• Thumbsup 5

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, texscottyd said:

I think this perfectly highlights the challenge with these bikes… there are a vast number of options for screens, but each person can have a completely different opinion of how each one works. 

I guess I’m more of an ‘in the wind’ rider than a ‘behind the screen’ rider.

Perfect point, - no two riders like exactly the same thing, I share your preference on feeling 'in the wind' though. 

Same difference of opinions applies to suspension settings, some riders want very plush bump absorption while others want a very firm feeling for corner compliance, my preference is about a 40/60 mix of comfort/ compliance.

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• 3 weeks later...

I do also have a touring set up.  26" Parabellum windscreen.  It is definitely more likely to buffet, but also has the best wind protection, by a huge amount.  Almost no wind in your face at all.  I ride with the smaller Powerbronze set up 95% of the time, usually with the soft saddle bags for storage.

IMG_2586.JPG

Edited by Scooter426

I tried the Yamaha touring screen but did not like it or how it looked, so fitted an MRA shorty which was good with nice smooth air and looked great but I was covered in dead flies, so I am now running the MRA touring with the spoiler which has solved all my problems. I did play around with the spoiler till I found the sweet spot for me.

• Supporting Member
7 hours ago, quetech said:

fitted an MRA shorty which was good with nice smooth air and looked great but I was covered in dead flies,

Coincidentally, my buddy did the same thing.

We were on a road trip and swapped bikes, he loved the smooth air and sportier look of the short screen on my bike so he installed one on his bike...

A week later he had his large Ermax screen back on the bike because he was getting hit by more bugs even though he didn't like it as well as the shorter screen.  Different priorities I suppose.

I got sick of the useless stock screen and all the turbulence and noise it created. 

Fitted one designed for the MT10, it didn’t take much to modify it. 

It splits the air beautifully and can’t get over how smooth the air flow is and how much quieter it is. I also think it’s the way the original should always have looked like. 

I must admit, I much prefer bugs all over me than to put up with that badly designed stocker  

63B93D2D-29DB-41AE-9596-9E766E785534.jpeg

Edited by OZVFR
  • Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
6 hours ago, OZVFR said:

I got sick of the useless stock screen and all the turbulence and noise it created. 

Fitted one designed for the MT10, it didn’t take much to modify it. 

It splits the air beautifully and can’t get over how smooth the air flow is and how much quieter it is. I also think it’s the way the original should always have looked like. 

I must admit, I much prefer bugs all over me than to put up with that badly designed stocker  

I like the looks of that, wider at the bottom and narrower at the top.  it's frustrating that one needs to get a screen made for a different bike to look decent on the FJ.  I modified a Puig touring screen from a Gen II FZ1 for my cold weather riding.

Puig Windscreen Touring 4101

• Thumbsup 1

Can’t see your picture, but I’ve seen the screen you’re talking about and it’s very similar. 

The shape just made sense to me, so I looked around for something like it that would fit. 

I swapped bikes with my best mate who I’ve been riding with for more years than I can remember when I originally got the Tracer, his first statement was “that screen is the most shit I’ve ever ridden with”, and he’s right. 

The new screen splits the air to the sides, and the hole and little scoop in the middle bleeds in enough air upwards to clean up the turbulence and make it very quiet and smooth. 

Haven’t taken it on a trip yet, but for my 5’7” height up to 60m/h it’s light years ahead  

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member
13 hours ago, OZVFR said:

The design decision that the FJ/Tracer had to come with hand guards effectively eliminated this sort of windshield option from the factory.   Once you remove the factory bat wings (which I’ve never missed), a more conventionally shaped screen like this works & makes perfect sense.  

Glad you found an option that works well for you… 

• Thumbsup 1

In my opinion, there is no one screen that will do it all.

I use a  Puig shorty screen for the summer and a Madstad touring screen for longer trips and colder weather.

This is my first Madstad and it's by far the best touring screen I've ever used.

Sport or short screens are just a matter of looks and what looks best to you.

• Thumbsup 1

I just did a 300 mile ride yesterday over varying roads from twisties (what little we have in northern Illinois) to towns and slab on my 2021 Tracer 9 GT.  I have the stock screen in the high position and I'm 5'10".  Only the top of my helmet has dead bugs on it and the visor remained clean, I guess that means the air flow works for me.  I had no problems hearing my SENA at 80+mph.

I am impressed.