Weird tire wear

Hey everyone, haven’t been around for a bit. I hope everyone is doing well. 

I have pilot road 5’s and was checking my pressure and noticed some funky wear that I don’t ever recall seeing with other tires. Can anyone tell me if this is normal? It’s consistent throughout the side and also is present on both sides.

PS, don’t laugh at my chicken strips, it’s a road bike. 

C850EE51-7F10-4297-857D-81CD5F4B1E44.jpeg

26CF4167-7574-4A30-B93F-489B4D586473.jpeg

If you are talking about the squiggly line about 3/4 inch from your chicken strip then that is where the different compounds meet and is normal. The side is softer and the center portion is harder.

• Thumbsup 3
  • Thanks 1

Check out this video.  It's from Greece, I'm sure they had fun in the twisties but WOW!  Tires getting changed out for very edge wear.

Video also shows how to remove rear wheel with out changing chain adjustment and with minimal removal of hardware.

I did it this way on my rear tire change.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, peteinpa said:

Video also shows how to remove rear wheel with out changing chain adjustment and with minimal removal of hardware.

I did it this way on my rear tire change.

Ok, now I’m curious. How would anyone alter chain adjustment by removing the wheel?  🤷🏻‍♂️

• Confused 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

1 hour ago, betoney said:

Ok, now I’m curious. How would anyone alter chain adjustment by removing the wheel?  🤷🏻‍♂️

If you dont mess with tge adjuster, you wont. The video really shows what we do. 

1 hour ago, betoney said:

Most people on most bikes will loosen the adjusters to get slack to derail the chain first.

2 minutes ago, peteinpa said:

Most people on most bikes will loosen the adjusters to get slack to derail the chain first.

Sliding the axle to one side a bit to clear the adjuster before moving it forward in the swing arm accomplishes the same thing in less time. 

-Skip

• Thumbsup 1

18 hours ago, peteinpa said:

Seems like a weird choice when you can just pop the axle out, and you have to pop the axle out to remove the wheel anyways.  I mean:

• Remove caliper
  • Remove axle nut
  • Slide axle out
  • Roll wheel forward and derail chain
  • Roll wheel out.
  • Thumbsup 4

Just looked at my rear Road 5.  With 5,000 miles on it it looks very similar with the clear line between the soft and hard compounds.  I don't make fun of folks chicken strips, just got back from lots of fun mountain roads but the thought of over cooking it with a loaded bike on a mountain road is not a good one.  For me it is the reserve for oopses and emergency maneuvering.  Had an occasion on one of my sport bikes when I went into a left hand turn onto a freeway on ramp too hot!  Had missed the severe humps in the pavement due to trucks and could not get enough speed off so had to just lean it over.  I could have easily put my knee and probably elbow down but bike and tires (S21s) did what there were supposed to and I made the corner.

Great video on removing wheels and changing tires.  I have always done my rears that way, I did pick up his technique of spreading the brake pads a bit when removing the calipers.  Easiest rear wheel removal was my BMW F800GT with a single sided swingarm.  Put it on the center stand, remove 5 lug bolts and take wheel off.

• Thumbsup 1

21 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

Seems like a weird choice when you can just pop the axle out, and you have to pop the axle out to remove the wheel anyways.  I mean:

• Remove caliper
  • Remove axle nut
  • Slide axle out
  • Roll wheel forward and derail chain
  • Roll wheel out.

I guess I got used to my Hondas.  The three I owned with chains you couldn't hold the chain adjustment when removing the rear wheel.