The NT1100 IS COMING THE 21ST!!!

2and3cylinders

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, stevesweetz said:

This bike does not tempt me at all.  I rented an Africa Twin to do some off-road trails.  The engine character felt very, let's say, tractor-like.  Definitely not what I want in a sport-touring bike.

Based on the NT release, smooth not revy but forceful thrust starting down low for the tarmac with a V twin feel

The AT is tuned for the dirt

• Supporting Member
26 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Based on the NT release, smooth not revy but forceful thrust starting down low for the tarmac with a V twin feel

The AT is tuned for the dirt

I copied this from MCN-

"As the NT1100 name suggests, the new bike is powered by the 1084cc parallel twin from the Africa Twin. It’s got new intakes and exhaust innards to fatten up the midrange, with a minor drop in peak torque, so it now produces 100.5bhp @ 7250rpm and 75 ftlb @ 6250 but its other wise unchanged, which is no bad thing as far as we’re concerned."

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

It's funny how different parallel twins can feel. I have ridden an NC700X, own a Ninja 650R, ridden an MT07 and a Super Tenere. The NC and Tenere are both very linear, unexciting engines. The 650R and MT07 like to rev and add some spunk to the ride when in the upper RPM range. 

I haven't ridden the AT yet, but I imagine it isn't far off from the Super Tenere in that "tractor" feel. 

I will stick with the Tracer triple for now :)

• Thumbsup 4

• Premium Member

We'll have to wait likely till next spring and hope someone will permit test rides, or live vicariously thru test videos...

But 60"+ wheel base and kicked out 26.5° rake = slower steering...

$16,500 and no IMU or semi-active let alone manually tweakable  damping suspension, ridiculous.  DCT still won't do it for me...

https://www.visordown.com/news/new-bikes/honda-nt1100-tourer-full-specs-features-and-video

Really nice looking bike, ok HP and good torque looks to me a real competitor to the BMW F900GT.  Might appeal to folks with a R1200RT.   Dash is super nice, gives Yamaha something to do to the T9GT for 23.  First Suzuki and now Honda with very nice and functional displays so Yamaha has some work to do.  

For me I still prefer my Tracer 900 GT.  Similar lack of IMU but engine on the Tracer 900 GT is much better for me.  I’ve said it before but I went from a Kawasaki ZX64 636 with 129 hp to a BMW F800GT with 90 HP.  I really struggled with that engine and could never get used to it.  Tracer 900 GT does a great job of having a great multicylinder sound and good HP up top but a broad power band as well.  Times when I on a long trip just cruising along, HP doesn’t matter so much.  But!  When I hit the twisty mountain road and want to have some fun the triple is ready to play.  Loaded or empty it’s ready.   There are faster more powerful bikes out there but the Tracer does a good job at being a sporty touring bike that can also play but not too heavy or expensive.

I see the NT1100 is a nice looking solid bike that will do well.  Just not as sporting as the T9GT.   If it weighed 425 pounds then it would be different.

• Thumbsup 2

Nope. Honda no longer has the wool pulled over my eyes. The last time they got me was the CB1100. How Honda, managed to dumb down an eleven hundred cc, four cylinder motor, is beyond me. And to top it off, govern the top speed to 110. But to also make such a stunningly beautiful motorcycle so bland and boring, was all I could take. 

I get it. This NT is a different flavor to that CB. But what Honda excels at these days, is....*yawn*... putting people to sleep....

• Thumbsup 3

4 hours ago, beardo said:

Nope. Honda no longer has the wool pulled over my eyes. The last time they got me was the CB1100. How Honda, managed to dumb down an eleven hundred cc, four cylinder motor, is beyond me. And to top it off, govern the top speed to 110. But to also make such a stunningly beautiful motorcycle so bland and boring, was all I could take. 

I get it. This NT is a different flavor to that CB. But what Honda excels at these days, is....*yawn*... putting people to sleep....

I agree with you and at one point I was a die hard Honda guy.  These days they consistently manage to put heavy, boring bikes to market that are very reliable and have no character whatsoever.  This NT1100 is going to fall right into that category, lol.  Honestly, they should bring back a fuel injected version of the VTR1000 (Superhawk) V twin for that bike and it would be amazing, hehe.:)

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, CRFan250 said:

I agree with you and at one point I was a die hard Honda guy.  These days they consistently manage to put heavy, boring bikes to market that are very reliable and have no character whatsoever.  This NT1100 is going to fall right into that category, lol.  Honestly, they should bring back a fuel injected version of the VTR1000 (Superhawk) V twin for that bike and it would be amazing, hehe.:)

Mine's carbs do just fine, thank you!

20210403_185543.jpg

20210403_185616.jpg

20210403_185652.jpg

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
11 hours ago, PhotoAl said:

Really nice looking bike, ok HP and good torque looks to me a real competitor to the BMW F900GT.  Might appeal to folks with a R1200RT.   Dash is super nice, gives Yamaha something to do to the T9GT for 23.  First Suzuki and now Honda with very nice and functional displays so Yamaha has some work to do.  
I see the NT1100 is a nice looking solid bike that will do well.  Just not as sporting as the T9GT.   If it weighed 425 pounds then it would be different.

I agree with you on the instrument gauges, I am impressed with the Honda and new Suzuki GT displays, having bluetooth connectivity to a smartphone and helmet for navigation and incoming calls is a game changer and hopefully will become the new industry standard in a few years.  I have that same capability on my current Garmin GPS but integrating that into the bikes dash itself would have a less cluttered and cleaner looking cockpit.

For a lot of bikes, I don't think comparing spec sheet numbers tells the whole story.  'Only' 100hp and weighing 525lbs doesn't make it a less comfortable long distance bike that it was intended to be, just as the new Suzuki's 150hp and 500lbs wont necessarily make it a 'better' sport touring bike (certainly not a definitive selling point for me), only a road test can determine its effectiveness for our individual needs.  If I went only by spec sheet numbers I 'should' HATE the Versys 1000 SE LT+ but for its intended purpose, it is a fantastic, comfortable, long distance bike.  

I plan on seeking out several demo events/ test rides in the next year. 👍

• Thumbsup 4

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

55 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Mine's carbs do just fine, thank you!

20210403_185543.jpg

20210403_185616.jpg

20210403_185652.jpg

Funny this bike should come up in the discussion.  At the Barber Vintage Festival earlier this month there was a VTR750 at the surplus auction.  I was sooooo tempted to bit but decided I like FI and ABS and wife would be unhappy with another bike.  Folded up my bid number and kept my hands in my pockets 🙂

• Thumbsup 2

18 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

We'll have to wait likely till next spring and hope someone will permit test rides, or live vicariously thru test videos...

But 60"+ wheel base and kicked out 26.5° rake = slower steering...

$16,500 and no IMU or semi-active let alone manually tweakable  damping suspension, ridiculous.  DCT still won't do it for me...

https://www.visordown.com/news/new-bikes/honda-nt1100-tourer-full-specs-features-and-video

on paper, I still have to say, the tracer 9 gt still gets the nod for me, and hope to get a 22 model early next year. My local dealer didn't seem remotely interested in trying to get me a 21. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, betoney said:

For a lot of bikes, I don't think comparing spec sheet numbers tells the whole story.

This. Only riding the bike will tell the story. Honda is calling the bike "touring" that I can tell, and they use terms like "sporting" and "sporty". In reality this bike will be sport enough for many.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, beardo said:

How's your twenty-something miles to the gallon on that hog?? And don't you DARE effing lie to me!!!

Actually, if I went back to the stock 45 pilot from the 48 I think I have in currently, and went down 1 jet size F & R it could average close to 37+ US MPG if I moderated my right wrist.  As it is, 33 is easily attainable.  I also have a 5.2 gallon tank I built for it but my prostate needs a pit stop before I could run it to the Orange Light of Death (OLD).  That may change hopefully a couple months after my Button TURP on the 9th. 😉

I'm the original owner and it still runs great though it's got to be a little tired. The original 97 engine could use a freshening but keeps hanging in there as it doesn't want to be supplanted by one of the two spare low mile motors I have that are itching to run again...

20210805_191033.jpg

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 2