My Saturday sucked... I got hit by a car

• Supporting Member
Just now, dazzler24 said:

Any further developments on the insurance front  @betoney??   If OK to ask of course.

Actually, just this morning I got a payment for 'personal property damage claim' for my helmet.  The claim adjuster called and asked if I had ANY personal property that was damaged, I sent him a photo of my several year old Shoei GT Air and within a few hours I had a payment of $640 in my account.

He already has my itemized damage estimate from Yamaha and said he can't see any reason that they would write it off as totaled and asked for a few more photos of the bike so he can issue a payment and finalize the claim.

I am actually really impressed with their (Farmers Insurance) claim process, there was no question as to fault/ blame or their willingness to promptly settle, they have been very helpful and the communication has been very prompt and efficient. 

It has been awhile since I have had to deal with insurance for a damage claim and its not what I expected.  There has been no face to face interaction or even visually verifying the damage, they didn't even want a police report.  Everything, including all edocuments and correspondence has been over the phone and any damage has been documented by me and submitted electronically via email or text message. 

I'm sure due to the high case load in these modern times, the insurance company seems committed to processing and completing the claim as quickly as possible.

• Thumbsup 5

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

First you mentioned a police report.  Did a cop show up and ticket her, or did you hobble in and file a report?  I'm interested because based on your narration of the incident she was definitely at fault and you'd think her insurance should be covering you rather than you taking a hit on your next premium due to you filing now on your insurance.  Did you ever go to an ER or see a doctor?

• Supporting Member
9 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

First you mentioned a police report.  Did a cop show up and ticket her, or did you hobble in and file a report?  I'm interested because based on your narration of the incident she was definitely at fault and you'd think her insurance should be covering you rather than you taking a hit on your next premium due to you filing now on your insurance.  Did you ever go to an ER or see a doctor?

No police report was filed, I called the city police and they said -if its needed- I can go online and fill out a report at any time.  They said due to low resources, its not important for an officer to show up on scene unless emergency services are needed. 

I'm not filing anything with my insurance, there was never a question of who was at fault.  He filed a claim with his insurance and I called in and verified the same info that he gave for my claim.  Everything is 100% on his policy. 

There was no reason to go to the ER, they are too busy with real issues.  I'm not much of a doctor visit person unless I'm actually hurt, especially if it means wasting hours in the waiting room for a bruise.

• Supporting Member

Sooo..... does this mean a new bike is what will happen going forward or is there still room to buy back yours as discussed by others earlier?

Call me nosey. 🙂

• Supporting Member
5 minutes ago, dazzler24 said:

Sooo..... does this mean a new bike is what will happen going forward or is there still room to buy back yours as discussed by others earlier?

No, if they don't write it off as totaled then there is no option to 'buy it back', they would just issue payment to get the damage repaired.  As I wrote previously, when I talked to them yesterday, they didn't have any intent to total the bike, unless something changes in the next few days, I expect they will stick to that plan. 

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member
3 minutes ago, betoney said:

No, if they don't write it off as totaled then there is no option to 'buy it back', they would just issue payment to get the damage repaired.  As I wrote previously, when I talked to them yesterday, they didn't have any intent to total the bike, unless something changes in the next few days, I expect they will stick to that plan. 

Sorry, I misread what you said earlier and thought it was to be written off.  My bad - as the youth of today would say.

OK then, you would be still pleased with that outcome I imagine.  You'd get your pride and joy back again. 🙂

Good luck with what ever eventuates.

Actually today's frames bend very easily...If they are bent in a way they are not designed for.

The quest for lightness has caused frames that are very stiff in normal motions frames go through but not motions like a car impact.

Short of a frame jig, how does a Yamaha dealer REALLY know if a frame is good?

• Supporting Member
8 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

Sorry, I misread what you said earlier and thought it was to be written off.  My bad - as the youth of today would say.

OK then, you would be still pleased with that outcome I imagine.  You'd get your pride and joy back again. 🙂

Yes, I have put so much time and effort into my bike that I would hate to scrap it and start over.  👍

8 hours ago, KrustyKush said:

Bike running crooked could just be bent fork tubes, or maybe just tweaked in the fork holders. Frame is hard to bend. Or even just bent handlebars. 

Here’s hoping for inexpensive and quick repairs. 

Correct, I have already straightened them, just like when you crash on a bicycle as a kid, put your knees on either side of the wheel and give the handlebars a quick jerk in the opposite direction.  I have taken it out for a road test and all is good. 👍

36 minutes ago, roadrash83 said:

That's great news!

I hope Yamaha has all the parts available to get her back on the road fast. 

Actually, the broken or scuffed parts are all cosmetic, the bike is 100% rideable. 

When I picked it up from the Yamaha shop after the inspection, I spent the afternoon going over the bike from back to front, tweaking and adjusting things and generally assessing what all needs to be repaired or replaced.  I took it out for a road test for about 90 minutes to check that everything worked, from the horn to the cruise control, heated grips to the fuel gauge, all lighting, steering, braking, I rode twisty roads, city traffic and interstate and everything on the bike functions like normal.  If there are any hidden gremlins, I cant find them.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

Today's youth would choke first before saying "My bad"; which clearly demonstrates how far out of touch you actually are! LOL

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, betoney said:

Yes, I have put so much time and effort into my bike that I would hate to scrap it and start over.  👍

Correct, I have already straightened them, just like when you crash on a bicycle as a kid, put your knees on either side of the wheel and give the handlebars a quick jerk in the opposite direction.  I have taken it out for a road test and all is good. 👍

Actually, the broken or scuffed parts are all cosmetic, the bike is 100% rideable. 

When I picked it up from the Yamaha shop after the inspection, I spent the afternoon going over the bike from back to front, tweaking and adjusting things and generally assessing what all needs to be repaired or replaced.  I took it out for a road test for about 90 minutes to check that everything worked, from the horn to the cruise control, heated grips to the fuel gauge, all lighting, steering, braking, I rode twisty roads, city traffic and interstate and everything on the bike functions like normal.  If there are any hidden gremlins, I cant find them.

That's excellent news. The money you should be able to pocket from the claim will possibly help soften the pain, trauma and inconvenience of the incident. 

Here's to you getting er on the road in better than restored condition fast!

• Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, 2and3cylinders said:

That's excellent news. The money you should be able to pocket from the claim will possibly help soften the pain, trauma and inconvenience of the incident.

Of course when the damage assessment was done, they have to list any and every scratch, ding and chip but the main parts that need to be replaced are the right side plastic tank fairing/cowl, frame slider puck and right side mirror, very easy replacements.  The engine crash bar and bar end weight can be sanded and painted.

• Thumbsup 2

When I hit a deer last year the insurance company gave the check to the dealer and required all parts listed and paid for to be replaced. I was not able to cut the number of repaired parts and/or do the work myself to pocket the money. They required an invoice from the dealer to make the final payment. Now, if you can work with the dealer maybe you can work something out.

• Thumbsup 2

1 hour ago, mike said:

When I hit a deer last year the insurance company gave the check to the dealer and required all parts listed and paid for to be replaced...

With your own insurance (not the Deer's) they can exert that control.

When it is the OTHER PERSON (at fault) Insurance, they are simply paying for damages in exchange for a Release of All Claims.

Unless there is a loan on the vehicle and the lender puts conditions on repairs - no one has the right to tell him what to do with the money. It is an exchange for damages, regardless if the vehicle ever gets repaired or by who.

• Thumbsup 4
1980 Yamaha 850 Triple (sold). Too many bikes to list, FJ-09 is next on my list