My Saturday sucked... I got hit by a car

• Supporting Member

awww MAN!!  That's a bit of a heartbreaker.  Hope it goes well.  Best wishes from Edmonton!  I'd be interested in hearing your follow-ups re:  bike, and you.

• Like 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Premium Member

Well, that sucks!  But the important part is you are OK!

If you haven't done so, see your doc and get a physical.  Document anything that hurts, is bruised, or feels different so they will have that info if needed in the future.

Check with your insurance about your riding gear.  If your gear is covered, make sure to get it replaced.  Even if the damage is minor.  And some manufacturers will repair or replace items if you contact them.

With the outrageous prices of replacement body parts and the potential that the forks/frame/subframe is damaged, you may find yourself bike shopping.  As stated, lots of great new choices available, or find a low miles replacement, buy your totaled bike back and move your customized parts from the wreck to the replacement.

Don't sign anything from the insurance company until you are 110% sure everything is OK.

And keep us posted....

• Thanks 1

My Chevy Bolt has a big blind spot on the sides of the windshield due to the thick A pillars.  It has small windows just behind the A pillar but I have "lost" people and cars in it and have learned to be very careful when turning.  Putting this first so hopefully everyone will see it and think about it when around other vehicles.  I don't have a problem driving down the road it is more parking lot and turning onto and off of streets that it can be a problem.  I have had a policeman directing traffic disappear in the blind spot!  So when y'all are out riding be aware of those areas.  

WOW so sorry to hear about your crash.  Last summer as I was turning left onto my street someone was turning left from my street.  She had a stop sign but started to go while I was still in front of the midsized SUV.  Hit my horn and she stopped but started to go again before I was clear!  She got a nice long blast fro my horn as well as I kept looking her in the eye.    Frustrating and certainly sympathize with you.

Getting away with just a sore knee and back is wonderful.  Take care of yourself and make sure you heal well.  At what my wife estimated to be 15mph on a scooter I shattered a kneecap, badly sprained my big toe, scrapes and cuts on face and a concussion.  I will say particularly look after the knee, knee surgery is no fun but even worse is having ligament damage that goes neglected.  I had to have my patella tendon re-attached.  My mother-in-law did more damage running her legs under her kitchen desk drawer with her power chair!  Her first excuse was "it just took off" but under cross-examination by her other daughter she confessed to not turning it off and reaching for something and hitting the joystick.  My wife told me if it hadn't been for her experience with my scooter crash and knee surgery she would have passed out when her mother showed her her legs.  The ER doc sewed MIL up and she has recovered.  

Bike looks sad and the insurance company will probably total it.  You could probably buy it from the insurance company and possibly re-build it with a salvaged title (not sure about laws in WA) or part it out.  Any way it is just sad to see it in that condition and knowing how much effort you put into it and loved the bike.  I would think the not steering straight is probably the forks twisted in the tripples although it's possible one is bent.  

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

Ouch, that's terrible @betoney.  I wish you the best and fastest recovery.... physical and mechanical (Tracer 9GT????).

Your scenario got me thinking about how lucky I've been.  And a little research led me to this video discussing car blind spots and the hazard they pose to motorcyclists.

A lot of time we wonder how a car driver could have done what they just did.  The video explains a bit of that and was a good refresher for me. Maybe it can help some others too.

Knowing you from the posts you make, I'd say it won't be long before you are astride a bike again!

• Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 1
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, nhchris said:

Ouch, that's terrible @betoney.  I wish you the best and fastest recovery.... physical and mechanical (Tracer 9GT????).

Knowing you from the posts you make, I'd say it won't be long before you are astride a bike again!

I do realize that the bike could possibly be written off and have been contemplating my next bike. 

I absolutely LOVE the CP3 motor but if I decide to get another Tracer it would be the '19-'20 Tracer 900, the new Tracer 9 doesn't call to me in any way. 

I do hope the insurance claim process goes quickly, I already have my vacation days and road trips set for the year, starting in April.

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member

If it were to be written off, would you entertain the idea of buying it back anyway, and transferring some of your mods to the new bike?

I did something like this with a Toyota in the 90's.  Got a cheque from the insurance company, got to keep the car & all the accessories I'd added, did all the bodywork myself & fixed it up, and drove it for several more years.

It was more than the insurance co. was willing to spend, but a fairly easy DIY repair.

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Supporting Member

@betoneyI agree with you on the 9GT great bike but between the side cases and the rest the bike doesn't move me in the way the FJ-GT does.  If the insurance company does total her have you thought about buying her back if the price is right? Then you could throw all the good stuff on a GT and have candy apple red GT, with a lot of stuff to part out.

He who dies with the most toys wins.

• Supporting Member
13 minutes ago, knyte said:

If it were to be written off, would you entertain the idea of buying it back anyway, and transferring some of your mods to the new bike?

3 minutes ago, roadrash83 said:

If the insurance company does total her have you thought about buying her back if the price is right?

Yes, that is definitely an option that I am open to. 

After tweaking and fiddling with my current bike for 5 years, there are plenty of bits and pieces that I would want on any future bike. 

The FJ and Tracer 900 are close enough that a lot the pieces would swap right over, the new Tracer 9, not so much. 

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Well shit, piss phuck!  Dude that sucks. Glad to hear you didn't get severely injured in the collision. Hope they have insurance! Heal quick and get back on that horse soon! 

• Thumbsup 1

Everything is simple, Nothing is easy