My Saturday sucked... I got hit by a car

I’m late to this as not on the forum as much at the moment. Really glad you’re okay but I would have been far from calm at the motorist. The ignorance and low skills of many drivers astounds me.

If the bike is repairable that would be a nice project, but I’m sure you’ll make a brilliant decision about what to do. Have fun with the choices.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, BBB said:

Really glad you’re okay but I would have been far from calm at the motorist. The ignorance and low skills of many drivers astounds me.

If the bike is repairable that would be a nice project, but I’m sure you’ll make a brilliant decision about what to do. Have fun with the choices.

I remember just as it was happening, I was leaned over turning left onto my street and could see his car start to move as I was about 3 feet in front of him.  As he knocked me over and I was laying in the street, my first reaction was anger, for what he had just done to my bike.  I remember not being concerned with 'me' but being furious for what he had done to my bike... funny how we prioritize.

As for the bike,- if the repair assessment ends up being minor cosmetic repairs, I will just fix everything and continue on with my riding season (bike had very recent valve inspection, new tapered steering bearings, suspension servicing and is right at 67k miles, I'll easily get to 80K this year) but if it ends up being a total write-off then I'm at a cross roads.  Do I get another Tracer since its familiar? or do I get adventurous and look at something completely different?

• Thumbsup 5

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

6 hours ago, betoney said:

I remember just as it was happening, I was leaned over turning left onto my street and could see his car start to move as I was about 3 feet in front of him.  As he knocked me over and I was laying in the street, my first reaction was anger, for what he had just done to my bike.  I remember not being concerned with 'me' but being furious for what he had done to my bike... funny how we prioritize.

As for the bike,- if the repair assessment ends up being minor cosmetic repairs, I will just fix everything and continue on with my riding season (bike had very recent valve inspection, new tapered steering bearings, suspension servicing and is right at 67k miles, I'll easily get to 80K this year) but if it ends up being a total write-off then I'm at a cross roads.  Do I get another Tracer since its familiar? or do I get adventurous and look at something completely different?

I think everyone here, including myself, would advocate for another Tracer. And me personally, I'd recommend another 2015, LOL! But this is a great time to be shopping for a new sport touring bike, lots of options out there that weren't available 8 years ago (can't believe my FJ09 is already that old, I got my first 2015 FJ09 in 2016 and it felt brand new). The new GSXR specifically looks pretty nice.

7 hours ago, betoney said:

Do I get another Tracer since its familiar? or do I get adventurous and look at something completely different?

The new Tracers are nice. I was torn when getting the Tracer about the Kawasaki 1000 Ninja. The new 1 is really nice. Also the is the "Touring" MT10. If you call a 100 mile between fill-ups a touring bike. I have a lot of friends with Gen1 and Gen2 VMaxes that tour on them, 100 miles at a time on gas. Lots of choices out there. Good luck with a choice if you need to make 1, LOL!

• Thumbsup 2

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

• Supporting Member

@betoney - How are you feeling now that a few days have passed?  I hope you’re well on the road to recovery, and dodged the proverbial bullet with injuries from your accident.  

While you’re waiting on status of your current bike, here are some ideas to potentially tempt you: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Supporting Member
18 minutes ago, tktplz said:

The new Tracers are nice. I was torn when getting the Tracer about the Kawasaki 1000 Ninja. The new 1 is really nice. Also the is the "Touring" MT10. If you call a 100 mile between fill-ups a touring bike. I have a lot of friends with Gen1 and Gen2 VMaxes that tour on them, 100 miles at a time on gas.

LOL, stopping every 100 miles for gas would SUCK. 

I read the FZ10 forum on occasion and several guys who use it for commuting have reporting 30mpg and if they are having fun on a weekend then it can be much worse.  That just wouldn't work for me.

• Supporting Member
3 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

@betoney - How are you feeling now that a few days have passed?  I hope you’re well on the road to recovery, and dodged the proverbial bullet with injuries from your accident.  

While you’re waiting on status of your current bike, here are some ideas to potentially tempt you: 

Thanks for the concern Scott, its been a week and I have no lingering pain or any physical evidence that it actually happened.  

I am keeping an open mind on future models on the chance that the insurance company deems it a total loss.  Yesterday I went by the service department where the bike is sitting and the service manager hadn't finished the inspection but seemed pretty optimistic that the damage is all cosmetic.  

I would rather that I replace the bike when I WANT to rather than because I HAVE to. 

• Thumbsup 6

• Premium Member
On 1/20/2022 at 6:29 PM, betoney said:

Funny you mention that, since I have had my bike for several years, there's nothing more I want/ need to change or modify.  I've always enjoyed modifying my bikes and have kind of had that itch lately... 😎

Hard to believe you have nothing more to change or mod.

There's always something that needs to be tweaked it seems.

Then there's maintenance.

I've become tired as I've gotten older of doing both but can't afford nor do I trust someone else to do it for me. 😞

Met a kid (38) yesterday who's a union carpenter, wife, 2 kids, nice, hard working.  Has a 17 Road king he's sunk (he says) over $70k in!!!  Said he spent more on his last HD.  Farms out all the work to others.  Stated he rides it maybe 1,000 miles a season.  I understand the passion but still I am mystified how he affords it, and found a wife who lets him.

19 hours ago, texscottyd said:

As if it wasn't going to be hard enough as it is to make a decision!

• Like 1

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

• Supporting Member

Hopefully still ache & pain free, @betoney?  Soft tissue can be a, well, a PITA.

• Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, knyte said:

Hopefully still ache & pain free, @betoney?  Soft tissue can be a, well, a PITA.

Thanks for your concern.  Yes, I am doing fine. 👍🏻

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1