My Saturday sucked... I got hit by a car

• Supporting Member
29 minutes ago, Heli ATP said:

Glad to hear...how about your motorcycle?

I'm going to the dealership tomorrow to get the news...

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Good to hear that your body took the abuse without retaliating too much. I'm late to this thread but just in time to hear the outcome it seems.

Meanwhile I can share my experience with a Versys. I was pushed in a ditch by a (slowly) passing van that didn't take my side cases in account. At first I thought there was no damage and just let the guy go. After cleaning I saw some stuff that worried me and was surprised to get a quote for 3000 euros from the dealer.
The insurance paid without hassle. The damage was all cosmetic apart from the slightly bent handlebars.

So I sold it for 6000 and added the insurance money and tapped lightly in to my savings to buy my current 2019 GT.

If you get the choice I would always choose the money to get another bike that was not hit by anything over a reparation just to be safe. I know all the mods take a long time but it's kind of fun to do it all again anyway.

Anyway I hope you get the outcome that you prefer!

• Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
11 hours ago, betoney said:

I'm going to the dealership tomorrow to get the news...

Got my fingers crossed that all she needs is some nice new shiny fast red plastics and tank.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

He who dies with the most toys wins.

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, roadrash83 said:

Got my fingers crossed that all she needs is some nice new shiny fast red plastics and tank.

To be honest, I hope for the same outcome. 

Thinking longer term, In a perfect world I would like to repair the FJ and then possibly get a 2nd bike as a cross-over type, maybe the FJ as a sport touring and then get an adventure touring type? or use the FJ for local sport riding in the twisties and get a longer distance touring type bike like the FJR?

Either way, with the mountains in my back yard, I'll always have to have a sporty ride but having a bit more comfort for long distance road trips would be welcome as well.

• Thumbsup 5
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member

Update 1/27

I picked the bike up and to be honest it doesn't look as bad as I initially thought when I dropped it off. 

The biggest expense listed was the swingarm and sub frame (about $1,000 combined), since there were marks on them, they have to note ANY damage.  The estimate also includes damage to the aftermarket Shad side bag bracket, hand guards, bar ends and engine guards.

I sent the damage estimate to the claims adjuster and will await the outcome.

image.thumb.png.5d2b67f6865a2cf1fa6e130ced6751ef.png

• Supporting Member

Oof.  that's got to be close, if not exceeding, the value of the bike?

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Supporting Member
41 minutes ago, kilo3 said:

Ewwww, that's going to be a tough sell.  Hope they total it, I wouldn't want to be waiting on parts right now.

Actually, except for the left side luggage mount, ALL of the damage is cosmetic, the bike is 100% rideable.  If I can ride it and its just a matter of restoring it to looking new, I'm fine with waiting on a part or two.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, betoney said:

Actually, except for the left side luggage mount, ALL of the damage is cosmetic, the bike is 100% rideable.  If I can ride it and its just a matter of restoring it to looking new, I'm fine with waiting on a part or two.

That's called winning the insurance lottery, well now i hope they don't scrap it

• Like 1

• Supporting Member

Those numbers don't look good, still got my fingers crossed. I wonder if the insurance company would pay out just bellow the total figure and let you keep her. Do the work yourself and make some money, or at least make her faster.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

He who dies with the most toys wins.

• Supporting Member
39 minutes ago, roadrash83 said:

Those numbers don't look good, still got my fingers crossed. I wonder if the insurance company would pay out just bellow the total figure and let you keep her. Do the work yourself and make some money, or at least make her faster.

That's exactly what I am thinking.  👍

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 3

• Premium Member

If the swing arm and rear subframe are in fact OK, then for sure pocket their cost and replace what you want yourself.  You'll be me miles ahead with shekels for set tires and a week + tour!

IF your insurance goes for it. IF....

If that's what you want.

• Thumbsup 2

Strictly from that estimate it's totalled or close. If you did it yourself that $1700 labor is easy money.

With cars they frequently find more damage when they take it apart. With this sideways hit I'd be worried this might happen here.