Throttle grip (resolved: Thank you all)

jamespz03

I have less than 3,500 miles and it’s already worn out and hard to get keep a grip. It’s noticeably smoother than the clutch grip. Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone know if this is covered under warranty?

Thanks,

James

Edited by jamespz03
resolved

I have 19500 miles on my ‘19 GT.  The previous owner installed Grip Puppies over the stock grips prior to my purchase of the bike with 4400 miles on it.  I like them and they show no wear.  The GT does have a slightly stiff throttle pull which requires one to probably hold the grip tighter leading to some wear.  I doubt the dealer will warrantee the grip but it doesn’t hurt to ask as it does sound like premature wear with only 3500 miles on your bike.

https://grip-puppy.com

• Thumbsup 1

51 minutes ago, jamespz03 said:

I have less than 3,500 miles and it’s already worn out and hard to get keep a grip. It’s noticeably smoother than the clutch grip. Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone know if this is covered under warranty?

Thanks,

James

Any picture to show what you mean by "worn out"? I have over 5k on mine and it is not what I would call worn out.

• Thumbsup 1

Regards, Grumpy Goat | 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT & 2016 BMW R1200RS

What type of gloves do you wear?  That seems like very premature wear on the throttle grip.  Mine has over 19,000 miles with no appreciable wear.  My Kawasaki has 37,000 miles on the original grips with no issues. 

• Thumbsup 2

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

2 hours ago, johnmark101 said:

What type of gloves do you wear?  That seems like very premature wear on the throttle grip.  Mine has over 19,000 miles with no appreciable wear.  My Kawasaki has 37,000 miles on the original grips with no issues. 

+1

2019 GT with over 20k km's. No wear at all.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

FJ09 with 35k miles. I've got one small wear spot on the left grip. None on the right. Rotated them to WOT and no wear. They are shiny, but I have good grip. 

I did have a WR250 dual sport that had lots of grip wear in maybe 8k or 10k miles. It was slippery like you're describing. That might have been because gloves were sometimes dirty and maybe because the throttle stayed wider open longer. 🤔  At least the grip heaters were underneath so replacements were cheap. 

0131220946.jpg

0131220946a~2.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

11 hours ago, whisperquiet said:

I have 19500 miles on my ‘19 GT.  The previous owner installed Grip Puppies over the stock grips prior to my purchase of the bike with 4400 miles on it.  I like them and they show no wear.  The GT does have a slightly stiff throttle pull which requires one to probably hold the grip tighter leading to some wear.  I doubt the dealer will warrantee the grip but it doesn’t hurt to ask as it does sound like premature wear with only 3500 miles on your bike.

https://grip-puppy.com

Thanks. Do these interfere with the heated grips functionality?

3 hours ago, johnmark101 said:

I have an older pair of Astars that do need to be replaced. However, I wore my track gloves and they experienced the same thing. It's just super slippery. 

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, jamespz03 said:

Thanks. Do these interfere with the heated grips functionality?

If you have factory heated grips then the heating element is a part of the grip. 
I have never heard of a grip wearing out in a few thousand miles, fwiw I have 67,000 miles on mine and they don’t show much wear at all. 

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member

Any chance you might have gotten some gas, chain lube or some other crap on the grip. Try cleaning the grip off with isopropyl alcohol and see if that helps. I'm right handed so my right hand is always the dirty and oily one and I often get the throttle grip dirty.

• Thumbsup 1

He who dies with the most toys wins.

On 1/31/2022 at 4:13 PM, roadrash83 said:

Any chance you might have gotten some gas, chain lube or some other crap on the grip. Try cleaning the grip off with isopropyl alcohol and see if that helps. I'm right handed so my right hand is always the dirty and oily one and I often get the throttle grip dirty.

This solved my issue. I've been pretty stressed lately at work and interviewing for a new job, etc. so I didn't correlate getting my bar-end weights installed and this. The shop must have sprayed something on the right grip only and after cleaning with alcohol, it's much better. 

Thank you @roadrash83 and to everyone else for you help. What a great forum with very helpful people. I'm happy I chose this bike more so because of all of you vs. the bike itself.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

• jamespz03 changed the title to Throttle grip (resolved: Thank you all)
  • Premium Member

As long as we're on the topic of throttle grips, as part of my on going major service, I futzed around today lubing the throttle cables. Normally I lube throttle cables up at the twist grip using 1 of 2 cable lubing tools I have.  Unfortunately with the OEM heated grips, getting to the top end of the throttle cables is impossible. Consequently I thought how to inject the Cable Life I normally use from the top rather than disconnecting the cables at the bottom at the throttle bodies.  I noted the plastic retainers at the top of the cables cables were such a tight fit I couldn't work in the lube. So I drilled small holes in the plastic fittings to slowly dribble in the lubricant inside the cable sheath working the cables back-and-forth until it dribbled out down at the throttle bodies. Eureka success!

A bit slow process but now that I have the injection holes, overall it will happen next time a lot quicker, with patience.

20220206_133757.jpg

20220206_133808.jpg

• Thumbsup 1